The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Coloring Plexiglass?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
I have a friend who is trying to color a 3/8 inch thick 'clear' piece of plexiglass. The entire piece is 7 foot tall and 3 foot wide. He has several pieces like this and wants to color each one different (red, green, yellow etc.)

I suggested going to a Car Window Tint Shop and see if they sell any of that type of film (in different colors...other than smoke gray).

What other ideas are there? He wants them each to be a different color, and to still maintain there translucency.

Suggestions? Impossible? Have at it!!
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
It sure doesn't Google very well - I think you may have a real problem (they do make plexi in colors, but those are colored throughout the material).

I'd suggest loking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plexiglass

Also you could call a full-line art supplier and see what they recommend - try http://www.dickblick.com/
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
In San Jose California is a company called TAP Plastics, look 'em up. They do all kinds of things with pexiglass etc and should, if anyone can, be able to tell you how to color 'em.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I found this on the Internet:

Quote:
"... if the piece you want to color is large, 24"x24" or larger, here is where you may have some problems, if the piece is small, here is the basic. Buy some Rit Dye in the color you want to use, several boxes, because you want to make a very concentrated mixture able to cover the piece to be colored, follow the directions except use half of the amount of water. You now need to heat the mixture to a temprature of 145 to 160, keeping it at that temp., don't exceed 160 or it may start to flex if it's sheeted materials, submerge the piece in the fluid, after a period of time remove and immediately submerge in a cold water bath, when cool, dry it off, if it's not the desired color do it again and again until you get the color saturation you want. Larger pieces can be done the same way in an oven with a deep cookie sheet or cassarole dish, this is diffulcult because of warping. I've done small decorative pieces and rod material this way and have been very successful."

For a sheet that large, you might be able to use some 6-mil plastic sheeting and build a frame os 1x4 lumber to construct a makeshift vat.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Thanks for all the great suggestions!! It sounds like the dye is the way to go.
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Coloring Plexiglass?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL