The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tarot + Playing Cards looked really as if they were 200 years old ?Check this out ! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..14~15~16 [Next]
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
432 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
I think you guys gonna like this, at least I did Smile

My new friend from Essen Germany, Christian Schenk, showed me these antique looking cards which he is producing. These cards LOOK REALLY OLD, the pips, the drawings AND especially the colors don't look bright like the 1800 deck.

He also made a complete range of gaffed cards. I asked him, if he could make Tarot cards look like, if they are very used and old, next day he sent me some pictures of what he made, I can tell you, it was awesome.

He also made a Gypsy Curse set which I got from him some days ago when I visited him. On these I will write a review in a couple of days. This guy can make you any card in any size and color you want.

Can't wait for the Tarot deck which he also going to produce.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I wrote 4 different routines based on Pact, my version of the Gypsy Curse. The latest is "Paradise Lost".

I've also developped several routines to be played in Renaissance fairs situations and other bizarre settings.

Your cards look really interesting, I'd like to know more.

Say hello to Tony, he's a good friend.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Nice!!!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
billyboy1957
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of billyboy1957
Please do let us know how the tarot turns out.

Ian
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
Very nice!
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
432 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
Quote:
Say hello to Tony, he's a good friend.

I will see him today in Haarlem at the Dutch Convention.

PM'd you.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Ah, where can I score a set?
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
I'm all over this! Great looking cards, and the gaffs will be superb!

I stopped working with "A Dream of Aces" years ago, but will gladly resurrect it to perform with these old cards. Smile

Also, the Gypsy Curse is a wonderful routine, and I never had appropriate cards to perform it with.

For those of you familiar with Charles Pecor's "How Aleister Crowley picked up girls", these will be very nice!!!

Cheers,
Jerome.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
jsilk7
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of jsilk7
Great job. Good luck.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I said this in the other thread, but these look terrific. Nice work.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
This weekend there will be a magic convention in Germany where I will introduce the cards live to a greater audience (the prototypes).

I already informed in another thread (Gaffed and Funky) which cards will be available. No one insisted in other cards so I think I will start the job in the beginning of next week.

Thanks for all your positive response. That helps me a lot in being sure doing the right thing for you.
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Too sweet! Very nice work.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
THIS is what I mean't when I said that the 1800 Bicycle deck didn't look like a real deck from that period.

In fact, I'd love to find a set just like the ones used on The Illusionist with full bodies on the court cards.

An "antique" deck should look the part in terms of design, not just grunge factor. The very reason I have stayed away from the ones sold by Ellusionist.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
What was so special about the illusionist cards? I have seen the movie but I do not remember the playing cards.

Chinese Proverb
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
The cards from the movie The Illusionist were shown very early on when the young magician caused a court card, a king I think, to rise out of the deck.

I could not help but notice that the court cards had full figures on them and that the number cards didn't have the numbers on them, just the pips.

I have seen decks printed exactly like this from that era. To me, that shows a real attempt at striving for authenticity. It may be just a little touch, but it shows great care on the part of the film's makers to get it right.

As a side note, I do have a book that details the history of the playing card and it shows several wood carvings from various periods in history.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2007-05-24 01:02, clynim wrote:
THIS is what I meant when I said that the 1800 Bicycle deck didn't look like a real deck from that period. In fact, I'd love to find a set just like the ones used on The Illusionist with full bodies on the court cards.

An "antique" deck should look the part in terms of design, not just grunge factor. The very reason I have stayed away from the ones sold by Ellusionist.

They never say that 1800 are real cards from that time. If you think in terms of steampunk, you'll see some new nice possibilities.

I've got to say that I really appreciate the creativity behind the ellusionist playing cards. I already created 2 very nice routines with their ghost deck... even if there is no real ghost in the deck.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I never tried to imply that the 1800 deck from Ellusionist was really from that time. To me, there is a difference between something trying to look old and trying to look authentic. Antique replicas should look like the cards they're trying to emulate.

As for the other decks from Ellusionist, I do like them a lot. The ghost deck is my personal favorite. If you want "ghosts" with this deck, get the gaff cards for it. Yes, I know they're expensive, but there are some truly unique cards in it. Justin Miller's Army of 52 dvd is an excellent companion to the gaffed cards.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I read a lot about old playing cards from that period. There are several base designs from that period where normal lay people have no chance to recognize the values. This is the best solution between familiar faces and authenticity.

Chinese Proverb
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Christian,

I sent you a PM.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
simquad
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of simquad
They look great! How much are they?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tarot + Playing Cards looked really as if they were 200 years old ?Check this out ! (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL