The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Emcee, MC, Msea? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
OK. Back to the original question I posed: Does anyone have any good resources for audience MC gags or other bits to get a crowd involved? I'm not talking magic effects, but I'm not necessarily ruling them out.

I already know the job of an emcee. I had the opportunity to emcee a show twice a day here in Branson everyday since posing the question and was lucky enough to be named one of the top emcees in Branson. My problem is that I do a 20 minute welcome before the show and I do NOT want to do magic effects here. I mostly do a short comedy segment now, and would like to get the audience involved more.
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Chris,

I'd love to help out. What gags do you currently use so we can give you some additional ideas? I've found that "Grey elephant in Denmark work" as well as an impromptu mental epic. Maybe even Magic Bingo by Mark Wilson would take up a good 20 minute time if you wanted something a little longer.

As for non-magical MC bits, you can do little gags to show how easy it is to fool your mind. Learning about hpnotism convincers would be good ones. Maybe the "putting your finger on your chin (not cheek) gag would be good. Perhaps you can tell people that you taped a $100 bill uinder an audience members seat. After everyone gets up and looks, you can say "just kidding. You all fix your pants and sit back down." I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but these are some of the ones I'd recommend.

RObert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13421 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2007-12-27 15:53, Sam Pearce wrote:
Since this thread come back up I thought I would update everyone on how the show went.

When I got to the show there were a couple bands set up on the stage

Gee, big surprise.

Anytime you plan on doing an event with others, plan on arriving and having the stage completely full of someone else's idea of a good time. No matter how much pre-planning, promising, and ranting and raving about how the stage/pa/set has to look there's not a chance in the world that it will be as you picture it.

Get there early and fight for what you want/need. Be confident, friendly and direct about your needs! Or you will be relegated to a postage-stamp size area to perform on with cords/wires, presents, band equipment, etc. distracting everyone from what you'll be doing.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Frank,

Isn't that the truth. Make sure you also interview the acts and speakto them. I discourage reading from cards, but for some it may help. Whn interviewing them, make sure you go over the prononciation of their name, etc. It is vitally important.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
737 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I love being an emcee, and I found watching good ones is a great way to learn. I loved Mike Caldwell, Karrell Fox, Bob Lewis. I learned a lot about emceeing from Pete Biro. I agree with not reading from cards..if you need info remembered...write it in a band aid and attach to a thumb tip.

Charlie
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
"Rob: We can make you an honarary Kyle but you have to wear a colored jacket. It is part of the rules. lol "

I have a son named Kyle and I have a colored jacket, does that make me official? lol
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8746 Posts

Profile of harris
Read the Newspaper
Watch Movies
Look at your audience members for bits
Make comments about you.(for me it is my whopping head of hair...and towering stature(5'5") and muscle bound body. (175 pounds)
Using things like chair, mike stand as props...

Chair becomes bars in jail....(works good for me with my harmonica and blues sounding good in a jail cell....time as a counselor not inmate at Lansing Prison...)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Emcee, MC, Msea? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL