The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Please Vote for a "Cardshark" reprint (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2015, jerry100won wrote:
Anyone have the latest on if Cardshark wiill be reprinted?

I still don't know when this reprint will happen. Meanwhile, if you have a chance to pick up a copy at a good price, you might want to do so. (Not from me, however. I don't have any copies.)

Meanwhile, you can still order autographed copies of Scams and Fantasies with Cards and Lessons in Card Mastery directly from me. If interested, you can contact me at the email address below.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
jerry100won
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas Texas
257 Posts

Profile of jerry100won
Darwin, thanks so much for letting us know. I will be on the lookout for a copy for sale.
Jerry

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Darwin,

When are you going to reprint Ricardo's Card Artifice and can you explain why you published it under the pseudonym Frank Pemper?

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
MarcusC
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of MarcusC
Cardshark reprint or At the Card Table reprint? I can't choose, put me down for both!
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2015, JasonEngland wrote:
Darwin,

When are you going to reprint Ricardo's Card Artifice and can you explain why you published it under the pseudonym Frank Pemper?

Jason

Jason, I'm not a violent man. But if you keep spreading these lies about me, I may have to put my black belt in gymkata to good use. You've been warned.
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
Quote:
Darwin,

Jason

Jason, I knew Frank Pemper from my youth. He's was a Milwaukee-based magician, who is NOT Ortiz. He used to do card magic and sold a version of a silver floating cube. Here is a link from Genii it that helps clear it up.
http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=4984

Mark
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2015, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
Quote:
Darwin,

Jason

Jason, I'm not a violent man. But if you keep spreading these lies about me, I may have to put my black belt in gymkata to good use. You've been warned.

I'm not sure who of the two is kidding....
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, pierredan wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Darwin,

Jason

likewise ... hmm ....
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, pierredan wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Darwin,

Jason

This might provide a partial answer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymkata

In any case, the whole thing is just an in-joke between Jason and myself.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Jerry Danes
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Jerry Danes
Hello everybody,i sure hope I do not break any rules here but I want to say that I have doublets of both Cardshark and At the card table 1st editions in very good condition and I would be happy to sell them. I live in Sweden but it is no problem to send it to Usa.
Jerry Danes
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Jerry Danes
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2015, Jerry Danes wrote:
Hello everybody,i sure hope I do not break any rules here but I want to say that I have doublets of both Cardshark and At the card table 1st editions in very good condition and I would be happy to sell them. I live in Sweden but it is no problem to send it to Usa.

Both books are sold now Smile
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
So that we can get this thread back on topic....

If there are any of Darwin's books that you don't already own you should drop whatever else it is you're doing and PM him here on the Café to see if they're available directly from him. Some of them may be available, others will be out of print. If you can't get a particular title directly from Darwin, then it's okay to look to the secondary market (eBay, etc) unless he tells you that a reprint is forthcoming, in which case you should wait to get it directly from Darwin.

I've said this before at lectures but I'll repeat it here: All of Darwin's books are must-haves if you like modern card magic. It's as simple as that. Even if by some unfortunate miracle you don't care for any of his routines, you'll still learn a ton from studying his structure, design and presentational ideas. And while Darwin has a reputation for difficult sleight-of-hand, many (maybe even most) of his routines are well within the grasp of intermediate card workers. They're not all center deals and riffle stacking routines (though that would be sweet).

Furthermore, his "Performance Tips" and "Comments" or "Analysis" sections after each of his effects are fascinating and insightful. Hell, I'd pay good money for a book from Darwin of nothing but performance tips and analysis of other people's routines! I'd love to hear what he had to say about Triumph, The Invisible Palm, The Travelers, Out of this World, etc. (Are you listening Darwin?)

In short, you owe it to yourself to keep an eye on this thread for news on upcoming reprints, and to watch for future Darwin Ortiz projects.

That is all.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2015, JasonEngland wrote:
Hell, I'd pay good money for a book from Darwin of nothing but performance tips and analysis of other people's routines! I'd love to hear what he had to say about Triumph, The Invisible Palm, The Travelers, Out of this World, etc. (Are you listening Darwin?)

I second that.
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
So that we can get this thread back on topic....

If there are any of Darwin's books that you don't already own you should drop whatever else it is you're doing and PM him here on the Café to see if they're available directly from him. Some of them may be available, others will be out of print. If you can't get a particular title directly from Darwin, then it's okay to look to the secondary market (eBay, etc) unless he tells you that a reprint is forthcoming, in which case you should wait to get it directly from Darwin.
Jason

I'm still hoping that Darwin is planning on reprinting Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table next. That is the one I still need. I have the audio book of Designing Miracles, but I'd like to get a hard copy at a good price eventually.

Quote:

Furthermore, his "Performance Tips" and "Comments" or "Analysis" sections after each of his effects are fascinating and insightful. Hell, I'd pay good money for a book from Darwin of nothing but performance tips and analysis of other people's routines! I'd love to hear what he had to say about Triumph, The Invisible Palm, The Travelers, Out of this World, etc. (Are you listening Darwin?)

Darwin gets into some of this in Designing Miracles, it is fascinating stuff. I believe it is how I first learned about Ron Wilson. But yeah, I love this. Ken Weber also touches on this with other people's presentations in Maximum Entertainment. I enjoy both aspects and wish there was more of this out there.

Quote:
On Aug 5, 2014, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
I just thought I'd mention that, although I haven't posted much in this thread, I have kept abreast of everyone's comments. I appreciate the input.

Right now I'm leaning to toward reprinting Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table next. However, as I mentioned earlier, I want to wait until my present book Lessons in Card Mastery is closer to being sold out.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz

PS: Lessons in Card Mastery is available directly from me.

It's been over a year since this was posted and I'm still hoping this is the case. *fingers crossed*
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2015, Uli Weigel wrote:
Quote:
Hell, I'd pay good money for a book from Darwin of nothing but performance tips and analysis of other people's routines! I'd love to hear what he had to say about Triumph, The Invisible Palm, The Travelers, Out of this World, etc. (Are you listening Darwin?)

I second that.

Since Out of This World was mentioned, I'll point out that I wrote an essay consisting of just such performance tips and analysis of Out of This World. It appears in Best of All Worlds. (I expect that most magicians will disagree.)

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Selvan Vishal
View Profile
New user
India
35 Posts

Profile of Selvan Vishal
I would love to get my hands on At the card table and Cardshark! Lessons in card mastery is absolutely one of the best books I've ever read. I was contemplating about paying 200$ on ebay for At the card table , happy that it might be reprinted.
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2015, Selvan Vishal wrote:
I would love to get my hands on At the card table and Cardshark! Lessons in card mastery is absolutely one of the best books I've ever read. I was contemplating about paying 200$ on ebay for At the card table , happy that it might be reprinted.

Hi Selvan,

I don't mean to encourage anyone to pay high prices for my books. However, I must tell you that Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table won't be reprinted anytime soon.

In the meantime, Scams and Fantasies with Cards is still in print. I can almost guarantee that you'll like it every bit as much as Lessons in Card Mastery. (If you can't find it at your dealer's, you can order an autographed copy directly from me.)

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Selvan Vishal
View Profile
New user
India
35 Posts

Profile of Selvan Vishal
An autographed copy of Scams and Fantasies would rock my world. I'll try and find if I have someone returning from USA or order it from you when I do come there as I'm in India currently and I don't trust the way customs are handled here, it's a big hassle.
So, At the card table won't be reprinted soon, and the same for Cardshark?
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2015, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2015, Uli Weigel wrote:
Quote:

I second that.

Since Out of This World was mentioned, I'll point out that I wrote an essay consisting of just such performance tips and analysis of Out of This World. It appears in Best of All Worlds. (I expect that most magicians will disagree.)

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz

This was a great essay! Really made me rethink and reconsider what I thought was a flaw with the traditional Out of This World routine. Thanks Darwin.
luigimar
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of luigimar
Since Cardshark is out of print, I'm waiting for the Spanish translation of it, "Tahur", from 'Paginas' in Spain. I think it's the best second thing to have, if the original in English is not available...

http://www.librosdemagia.com/catalogo/ver/53325-tahur.html
luigimar
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Please Vote for a "Cardshark" reprint (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL