The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic Effect I won't do (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
There are some types of magic that I could never envision myself doing. Each one has it's own reason and it's not always because I think they are bad trick or routines. I just don't feel they fit me for what ever reason. This entire post is a matter of opinion and performing style.

One thing I hope I never do is a card production manipulation act (Back palming, etc..). To be honest I'm sick of seeing them. Smile That's not to say that I haven't seen any that I like. In fact I've seen some amazing ones. I've just seen so many of them that it's lost it's appeal for me. I know what you're probably thinking. "Only magicians see that all the time. Most non-magicians never have and they like it". I'm sure that's true if it's a good act but to be honest most of them aren't in my opinion. Most of them look the same for the most part. When I was a kid I loved to eat Pizza but when I was a teenager and worked at a Pizza shop and I got sick it. That's kind of how I feel about card manipulation acts.

Vanishing Bird cage. I don't care for this one mainly for the same reasons as the above card manipulation acts. If I ever go to a magic convention and don't see either of these I'd be amazed.

Traditional sawing in half or Zig-Zag lady. I don't think I'll ever do these types of tricks (girl gets in box and is cut in sections or in half). Mainly because they've been exposed so any times and are known by the general public. I do appreciate them for their historical aspects though. They are classics. I might perform a similar effect someday but not one that uses a box. There are some more visual methods out now days that I prefer.

I won't use any prop with stars and moons painted on them.

I won't use a change bag (The traditional paddle type anyway). I'll use the principle that they work with but in other objects (I'm thinking about that cap version). In most cases the change bag is the least visual method to accomplish an effect. I see it as the "easy way out" and that's not always a bad thing. But I'm sure the effect that's done with the change bag can be made more visual with other methods. As en example to try and explain my way of thinking. If I where to perform the mis-made flag I would prefer a die tube over a change bag.

Any self levitation that looks like you are using a cover. Okay I would perform them from time to time in impromptu situations but never in a show. If you've seen my modification to FFF then you know what I'm talking about. There's a cover but it doesn't look like one. The (Draping the towel in front of your legs) methods scream "Something is hidden behind this curtain". So the strength of the effect is instantly diminished.

I'm sure I'll think of others.

What would you never perform and why?

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Magic with animals. I've seen some good acts with them, but I generally have issues with performers using animals...just a personal choice.

I also dislike props with "bad" paintjobs. Too tacky for me although it can work for some performers.

Coin magic in general doesn't hold an appeal for me. I do one trick with a coin. I've tried many different effects using manipulation to gaffed coins. My Scotch and Soda has never seen an audience. I like seeing the tricks done well by others but find for me there is a lack of interest...don't really know why.

I won't use most M****r Boxes. I find they just don't look right, plus the fact they scream magic prop (see paintjob above).
tomthemagicman
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of tomthemagicman
I can't see myself doing magic David Blaine style. I cant look that serious. I always try to do magic in a very light and funny way. My intention is usually to get reactions of people laughing and being completely bamboozled. That is why I want to start children's partys. I tried David's style once on my friend but I burst out laughing. That stuff may work for Mr. Blaine but it does not work for me.

I'm too cheerful! Smile
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Ron,
Your list seems to be more of a presentation/appearance issue. Being familiar with your work, I would be surprised if you did any effect as written. But I could easily see you doing unique modifications of all of those effects. (eg. The card production could be a recovery of a vanished deck from an empty container. Or a Zig-Zag could be an escape that goes wrong while you struggle to reach the keys, and your middle falls out.)

For me:
Magic with animals. For probably the same reasons as mrbilldentertainer. As a kid magician, I got a pair of doves. After learning the methods, I never used them.

Mentalism. In my act I don't claim to have special powers. Just an understanding of magical ways.

Cigarettes. It took me way too long to quit them.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2007-05-19 23:28, Josh the Superfluous wrote:

Cigarettes. It took me way too long to quit them.

Was your avatar photo taken before you quit? Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Note that the 'smoke' is coming from behind Josh. That has led me to speculate that it isn't actually smoke at all. Makes me glad I wasn't there when the picture was taken.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I've always been a sellout, I'll pretty much do anything.
POOF!
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Probably anything that uses Invisible Thread, that stuff gives me a headache. Not to mention I feel the method is obvious.
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Sponge balls.. can you see the Marlbro man doing sponge balls?
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Quote:
...or any sort of self working no brainer magic tricks.

Al, I hope you aren't disparaging ALL self-working tricks, but only those that are not entertaining.

Otherwise, we'll have to go fight out in back of the Café. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I refrain from doing stuff that does not match my personality.
Cards never lie
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-05-21 16:05, airship wrote:
Note that the 'smoke' is coming from behind Josh. That has led me to speculate that it isn't actually smoke at all. Makes me glad I wasn't there when the picture was taken.

I had a serious post to make until I read yours. I'm laughing so hard, I can't.

HAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!
:rotf:
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks Airship.

Now I finally understand what the mouth movement means - gasping for air . . .
Cards never lie
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
LOL Andy.

For me, cigarette magic, thimble magic, and magic involving any kind of flamboyant, magic-store boxes.

Also stuff like the Troublewit - but that just isn't magic at all.
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Adam Milestone
Just about anything Tenyo or other cheesy "magic set" type effects. I prefer to use stuff that doesn't seem out of the ordinary; presentation can sometimes make a lot of stuff seem normal, but anything that appears to have been made specifically to do a magic trick like a finger chopper (save for the wooden one)leaves me cold unless it's an illusion act in which people are expecting that those types of props will be used.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Airship
I like a trick that takes me months, or even years to master. Just what tricks did you have in mind? You know I would never disagree with a 350lb Werewolf.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
Sponge Bunnies.

I know that many great magicians have used them to great effect, but I just simply hate them.

Like spitting blood hate them.
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
I would never do the underwater for 9 minutes trick
P3
practice practice perform.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I would NEVER do David Blaine's 44 day Fasting In A Box Trick...

I like to eat.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Anything with a stooge... for some reason that crosses a line with me, even though it can really fry an audience...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic Effect I won't do (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL