The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic Effect I won't do (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I may get ostracized for this, but I could never see myself doing any type of close-up or strolling affects. Even back when I was starting out (forty-some years ago), they never did anything for me.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
cvwtzhaar
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of cvwtzhaar
I never perform anything that involves producing anything from the mouth as well as the type of magic that has been called "Geek Magic". Smile

It's not my cup of tea.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I would't vanish the statue of liberty.

It's too small.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
I'll never do Goshman's Ding Dong or the 20th Century Bra Trick even though sometimes I might want to.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
A post that I made 3 years ago about not liking big box magic tricks for kids shows was deleted, and that is why poor Airship's post to me looks so lame.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
I'll never do gospel magic.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I don't do balloons.
I don't do sponge balls.
I don't do puppets.
I don't do box tricks.
I don't do card tricks. (I do some tricks that use cards)
I don't do illusions.
I don't EVER use patter. (poor excuse for comedy)
I don't do mentalism.
I don't do hypnotism.
I don't use animals.
I don't do windows.
Jacques
View Profile
Loyal user
North
206 Posts

Profile of Jacques
Pick a card, any card...
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Al, what do you do? Smile

Do you do dishes? Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Practically the only thing left for Al is Houdini's Chinese Water Torture Cell...

which, frankly, I would rather do than dishes.
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
On 2010-08-24 16:39, mandarin wrote:
Practically the only thing left for Al is Houdini's Chinese Water Torture Cell...

which, frankly, I would rather do than dishes.

:lol:
Magic is a vanishing art.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I use bags, tubes, silks, ropes, coins, rings, rubber bands, and tricks that use cards, but not necesserily card tricks. There is a method to my madness, I can do two different 45 minute shows from my brief case. I am also a juggler, and a comedian. Most of the performing that I do is parlor magic, and birthday parties. I'm far too old to do Houdini's milk can escape.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Decapitations.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I'll never wear eye liner!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2007-05-19 12:25, Jaxon wrote:
There are some types of magic that I could never envision myself doing. Each one has it's own reason and it's not always because I think they are bad trick or routines. I just don't feel they fit me for what ever reason. This entire post is a matter of opinion and performing style.

One thing I hope I never do is a card production manipulation act (Back palming, etc..). To be honest I'm sick of seeing them. Smile That's not to say that I haven't seen any that I like. In fact I've seen some amazing ones. I've just seen so many of them that it's lost it's appeal for me. I know what you're probably thinking. "Only magicians see that all the time. Most non-magicians never have and they like it". I'm sure that's true if it's a good act but to be honest most of them aren't in my opinion. Most of them look the same for the most part. When I was a kid I loved to eat Pizza but when I was a teenager and worked at a Pizza shop and I got sick it. That's kind of how I feel about card manipulation acts.

Vanishing Bird cage. I don't care for this one mainly for the same reasons as the above card manipulation acts. If I ever go to a magic convention and don't see either of these I'd be amazed.

Traditional sawing in half or Zig-Zag lady. I don't think I'll ever do these types of tricks (girl gets in box and is cut in sections or in half). Mainly because they've been exposed so any times and are known by the general public. I do appreciate them for their historical aspects though. They are classics. I might perform a similar effect someday but not one that uses a box. There are some more visual methods out now days that I prefer.

I won't use any prop with stars and moons painted on them.

I won't use a change bag (The traditional paddle type anyway). I'll use the principle that they work with but in other objects (I'm thinking about that cap version). In most cases the change bag is the least visual method to accomplish an effect. I see it as the "easy way out" and that's not always a bad thing. But I'm sure the effect that's done with the change bag can be made more visual with other methods. As en example to try and explain my way of thinking. If I where to perform the mis-made flag I would prefer a die tube over a change bag.

Any self levitation that looks like you are using a cover. Okay I would perform them from time to time in impromptu situations but never in a show. If you've seen my modification to FFF then you know what I'm talking about. There's a cover but it doesn't look like one. The (Draping the towel in front of your legs) methods scream "Something is hidden behind this curtain". So the strength of the effect is instantly diminished.

I'm sure I'll think of others.

What would you never perform and why?

Ron Jaxon

Never perform? Anything to do with cigarettes and smoking. I hate the habit and I think it would look out of place in my hands.

And I want to stay away from anything that looks "proppy" magicians "props" don't amaze and I kind of think most intelligent spectators think the same thing.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Nowadays most would agree with your ban on smoking. Curious how someone like Jim Steinmeyer would feel about your opinion "proppy" "props" fail to amaze intelligent spectators. I bet he thinks his Interlude, Pole Levitation, and others do the job.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Big box props are very popular with the childrens magicians at the magic Café.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-09-01 21:17, msmaster wrote:
Nowadays most would agree with your ban on smoking. Curious how someone like Jim Steinmeyer would feel about your opinion "proppy" "props" fail to amaze intelligent spectators. I bet he thinks his Interlude, Pole Levitation, and others do the job.

To each their own.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2010-09-01 21:17, msmaster wrote:
Curious how someone like Jim Steinmeyer would feel about your opinion "proppy" "props" fail to amaze intelligent spectators. I bet he thinks his Interlude, Pole Levitation, and others do the job.

I don't know if proppy magic amazes or simply puzzles. The stage distance, and the impression that the "prop" is a possible explanation weakens the dilemma.

I don't think the Pole Levitation is "proppy." Zig Zag, Interlude, Geometric, etc. are what I consider "proppy" magic. That doesn't mean they aren't entertaining or fun. They just are not "inexplicable"--the prop offers some kind of possible explanation even if it isn't clear what that is...like in close-up where the spectator sees "something" even if he isn't sure what he saw.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Whit
If you go to the little darling forum of the magic Café you will see that the majority of the kids magicians there use a van full of big box props for each birthday party. They don't mind making three trips from their car each way, with a half hour of set up time, and a half hour of break down time.

Man I'm tired just talking about it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic Effect I won't do (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL