The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Collard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
There was quite a bit of hype when this came out. Just wondering if anyone performs this for kidshows and if so, what the reaction from the kids are.

Harv
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
It's a mentalism trick so probably stronger for adults, if you're talking about reaction. I'm sure some people would perform it for children though...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Older kids, over eight, underrstand it and like it.
MagicDog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
174 Posts

Profile of MagicDog
I agree kids over Eight and I give the Dog or Rabbit away if it is a girl (they buy it in advance). The reaction you get from this effect will not be what you would expect. I did not think the kids got it the first few times I performed it. But after doing some follow up after the shows, it was one of the things the kids talked about and told their mom and dads.

John
Make Everyday Magical
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Why would you give away the soft toy but kept the (supposedly) engraved collar with the unique name on the nametag though? Illogical.
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
Quote:
On 2007-05-21 04:34, Futureal wrote:
Why would you give away the soft toy but kept the (supposedly) engraved collar with the unique name on the nametag though? Illogical.

I was thinking the same thing. If you really want to give it away, you can say to the spectator, "Since you were kind enough to officially name him/her, she would probably find a better home with you...just let me keep the name tag as a little reminder of her..." or something to that effect. I just got the effect and I'm trying to figure out how exactly I'm supposed to justify writing the dog's name on the certificate in such a tiny area when the supplied pad is so large. Any help is appreciated. -J.R.
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
I did it for college kids and got great reactions. As for children, just so they're old enough to comprehend what's going on I believe this can be performed for children. So I'd agree with MagicSanta.
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
On another note - I have done it using blow up dolls and inflatable sheep.

tough crowds.
GhostSurfer
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of GhostSurfer
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 18:49, write2david wrote:
On another note - I have done it using blow up dolls and inflatable sheep.

Hey, whatever turns you on, mate. Please keep on topic...

GS
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Can this be done with a real dog on stage instead of a toy?
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
I perform this for adults, not kids...it's one of the closest effects I've found that connects humour with mentalism... it lends itself to some great lines about what dogs can teach us and more serious ones about what dogs really do for us... so this effect offers humour and emotion. Many audience members have dogs as pets so this is an opportunity to connect personally with audience members. It's not a closer by any means but is an opportunity to showcase one's personality. When the name is revealed, it's not the kind of effect where audience members leap to their feet, but it is a pleasant mid-show interlude, keeps to my theme of entertainment with 'ordinary' items, leaves the audience very puzzled as to how this happened and gives the audience an opportunity to applaud the volunteer (one of their own) and the dog..... but it's the laughs along the way that makes this entertaining..... I think my approach would be lost on kids. If it's all about the revelation of the name at the end, I think the effect becomes very weak.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Collard (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL