The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Pass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Robin Parker
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
117 Posts

Profile of Robin Parker
I’m obsessed with the pass and I am, perhaps foolishly, attempting to perform the best possible.

I realize that there are other options to this sleight and different students of cards have different views on this subject. Some don't think too much of it, others avoid it, some have perfected it and others are somewhere in the middle regarding it’s execution.

Owning tapes with Dingle offering several minutes of instruction along with numerous executions, I am in awe of the beauty of the sleight and I want the ability to mirror it.

I also study the K. Krenzel tape on the pass and his knowledge and mastery of the sleight is a thing of beauty & mastery. Perhaps my desire is foolish, to think that I could mirror the abilities of such artist in our field but the journey is actually the most enjoyable part. Wish me luck! What are your thoughts on the pass?
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Hello Kardma!

You sound a lot like me when it comes to the pass!

I do know that most of the, "precision" of the pass involves much more misdirection rather than solely relying on the execution of the move!

My friends, Ichazod and Steve Brooks have got handling that seems to rely more on this type maneuvering! Maybe a quick e-mail, or private message to them would help!

Anyway, good luck with your pass and I hope this helps!

Sincerely, Steve Landavazo Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Robin Parker
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
117 Posts

Profile of Robin Parker
Steve, you are exactly correct on the issue of WHEN to do it and the use of misdirection; I did not intend to overlook this very important aspect of the sleight, the use of misdirection. However, watching the tape of Dingle motivates me to perform the pass in such a manner as to deceive when your hands are being burned. I may not achieve such mastery but as I said earlier, I enjoy the journey.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I think the pass is a great "weapon", when used properly, and at the correct moment.

The so-called "burnable" pass got popular in the late 70's thanks to Dingle and others.

However, if you can execute a "normal" pass,

what does it really matter?

It's only a means to an end. If there is a move that works better in any given situation, then I use it instead.

But of course, setting yourself a goal of perfecting a burnable pass is admirable, and I certainly wish you the best in that pursuit. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Jack
I’ve used the pass for many years now. I’m not the fast, invisible kind of pass do’er like the fore mentioned guys, but I get away with it every time, by motion of body and hand during the move, and an uplooking smile or something else that can be directed toward the spectator(s), and sensing the right time to do it.

In order to use the pass in performance, you don’t necessarily have to be speedy and accurate by years of practice (unless you just want to). In performance, there are perfect moments during patter and misdirection to get it done.

Now I will say it took me quite a while performing to many people before I gained the ability to know when the time is right, so perhaps there is learning time needed there.

I remember my magic buddies showing each other who’s the fastest passer and I’d use one during a trick and none of them would see it, and some of them are faster than me. Happy passing!

Magically, Jack
Mistereis
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
5 Posts

Profile of Mistereis
Hi Kardma, I’m right with you on this "being possessed by the pass" thing. To that end I have just ordered Richard Kaufman’s "On The Pass" video so I’ll let you know how I get on when it arrives.

Maybe we are a pair of fools but I’m having too much fun to stop.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Mistereis, after you have watched the video, be sure and let us all know how it was in our "The good, the bad, and the garbage" forum. Being it's Kaufman, I'm sure it's quality stuff. Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I think it's a great video. I'm interested to see if you agree.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Jack
I once had that video. It is really good. Richard's pretty fast. He also demonstrates a James Swain card effect that's fully based on the pass.

Magically, Jack
Mistereis
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
5 Posts

Profile of Mistereis
I certainly will Scott but alas I ordered it through a magic store (bricks and mortar) here in Melbourne on Sept. 10th so given present circumstances I'll understand if it takes a while to arrive.

Good to see you and Wallace here.
Axman
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of Axman
Go and check out Harvey Rosenthal's website for the best pass I have ever seen. It’s his "square up pass".
donaldlaporte
View Profile
New user
new hampshire
46 Posts

Profile of donaldlaporte
You're not alone. I’ve spent hundreds of hours in front of a mirror too. Your right, it’s fun getting there. But in that time you discover the little things about the pass that you might of not quite understood unless you put all that time in.

Anyways, I use the standard pass all the time BUT I have a burnable pass that I also use, which I stumbled across some time ago while putting all that time in on the standard pass.

Now I think they talk about this pass in "Expert card technique". It is**********

Editor: Sorry, explanations of effects and or methods cannot be explained in the public area of the cafe...Thanks:)
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I use three passes: a variation of Draun's Midnite Shift, the LePaul Spread Pass, and Doug Edwards' Turnover Pass.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
I also have the Kaufman vid and it's great. Unfortunatly, I have been passing on my pass as I still haven't got it where it should be (despite my obsession).

Jay Sankey did give me a great little pointer (my good buddy Jay Sankey): The hand rocking motion which shields the corners flashing. I think it's also on one of his videos but if you aren't familiar lemme know.
Yakworld.
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Hello!

I use a couple of passes - there's Luke Dancy's Pass, Aaron Shield's Pass and my own pass (it's being published soon... more info later). Also, when I'm feeling lazy, or when my sleeves aren't already rolled up (99% of the time they are due to the fact that I believe it strengthens the magic) I'll use crazy Mr Sankey's Sleeves Up Pass.

--Andi
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Paul David and I came up with a pass that is pretty cool if I do say so myself. It follows the lines of the all around square up type of passes but is more efficient than Cervon’s, Hollingworth’s or Lennart Green’s.

It’s the only pass I ever use. OK that last sentence is a line of bull but the pass is sure fun to play with. It will be on Paul’s video which is coming out soon.

If anyone here is truly interested in a fresh approach to card magic and is not afraid of practicing a LOT then you are in for a real treat. For those of you who can’t practice as much for one reason or another.....well, just sit back and enjoy being fooled like he**.

Dorian Rhodell
yellowguy
View Profile
New user
Canada
17 Posts

Profile of yellowguy
Hi guys,

I’ll start by telling you that I’ve got the hands the size of an average 14 year old kid but I’m able to make the pass invisible, no misdirection, even calling attention to my hands. It takes lots of practice and all, but most people think it’s in the speed. Well, it’s not. A great guy to learn from is Brad Chrsitian over at ellusionist.com. His ninja series is Phenomenal. Check out the Vegas Card cheat video he’s got. He uses the classic pass, but it’s completely invisible.

Enjoy!
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
It sounds like everyone pretty much uses what 'works' for them, and that's great! Smile

GreatScott, I have to tell you I just love the "LePaul Spread Pass", my dear friend Jerry Camaro taught that too me some time ago. I must say it is a fantastic pass, that has truly been a challenge perfecting. Smile
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I am a pass freak!! I have tried every variation known to man. The best pass I have seen is on this site

Harvey has a few invisible passes.

the problem with most passes I've seen, even from the "pass masters" is that you can see 'something' happening. I suspect that it is that most people tend to riffle the cards when they are done with the pass. the noise just arouses some supicion, as they know the cards didn't make noise on their own.

Chad Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
OK, guys, you all know the Pass and can perform at least one of the many versions. What do you use it for? What effect or what routine are you performing that requires you to use this marvel? This is an honest question.

I spent tons of hours learning a couple of nice versions of the Pass. I believe that I perform them well. The trouble is that I don’t perform one effect, in any of my acts, that require it!

I guess learning this was for my pleasure only.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Pass (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL