The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » What's Up with that 'same' Audience of the L&L Publishing Magic DVDs? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I would love DVD shoots to be done real world. Real people, real reactions.

But...if it's going to be in a studio, then I'm all for having it be filled with gorgeous ladies. Why? I'm A GUY. That's why.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
GET OVER IT. Especially the feet thing. I am not a huge fan of feet myself, but that has nothing to do with these videos.

L&L DVDs are very entertaining and I love their resident audience. John for one cracks me the heck up. I would pay him to be at every one of my shows... and I must admit its fun imagining what kind of "dancers' those girls are.

Those people are the perfect audience. While at times they may seem to over-act...I think that a lot of their reactions are real. I've seen some of these videos hundreds of times and I still laugh out loud at some of the jokes.

feet feet feet AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
They sure look like infomercial people to me.
And the girl that helped Michael Finney was a topless dancer.
Sure makes me think that she was there just to earn a quick buck.

Randi
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4933 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
All of this talk of the audiences, don't you watch the DVD? All the L&L DVDs I have are incredible. Osterlind, Wonder, Malone, Daryl, I can't think of a bad one.

I'm too busy learning to care about the audience. Crazy.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Bananafish
View Profile
Elite user
Simon Shaw, Suffolk, England
415 Posts

Profile of Bananafish
Quote:
All of this talk of the audiences, don't you watch the DVD? All the L&L DVDs I have are incredible. Osterlind, Wonder, Malone, Daryl, I can't think of a bad one.

I agree with that.

There is no denying that the L&L audiences are perhaps a little too over enthusiastic at times to make them 100% credible as a real lay-audience. John 'no way!' is perhaps the biggest culprit here, but frankly so what?

As James says - these DVDs are all excellent in every way. They are bought for what can be learnt on them. Not as a "show" and besides it is pretty easy to judge which effects are going to be the really strong ones regardless of how the L&L crowd react. They obviously still all love magic (even after all these years).

As it happens I have got quite fond of them over the years. It's like seeing old friends again whenever I get a new set.

(Yes I appreciate that probably makes me quite sad).
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
I don't really care about the audience.
But it is hard not to notice.

Randi
Ryan clark
View Profile
Loyal user
Spruce Grove ,AB
236 Posts

Profile of Ryan clark
There is nothing wrong with the audiences at L and L , as someone else pointed out John is hilarious, and I would PAY him to be at one of my freaking shows LOL.
Any Effect Is Possible, methods are relativley easy to come by, but it is the effect that takes true courage to come up with

Sankey
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Honestly though, I don't think John could be faking those NO WAYS.

If so he is a better actor than most people in film. I bet a majority of those are real reactions...from an experienced....but happy audience.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Louis must have told Janel " stop saying oh my GOD" every 20 seconds".

Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Having attended a number of shoots I can assure you that the reactions are not coaxed or scripted. The performers have to work for the reactions. These audience members are people who love magic and who feel very comfortable being in front of the camera. L&L has they have a formula that works. It is VERY VERY difficult to capture real reactions. Often when you turn on the camera people clam up. I've done productions where people are very vibrant in person and love watching magic but the second you turn on the lights and cameras they become like zombies- very uncomfortable, quiet, tense, no reactions, etc. And there is nothing worse than watching a DVD of an audience with NO reactions. What L&L has done is very smart... they have found a group of people they can rely on... they can rely to show up; they can rely on to give good, honest reactions if they see something amazing; they can rely on to sit through hours of shooting under hot lights; etc. They don't bring in an unknown factor that can ruin or dramatically hinder a performance with no reactions. L&L treats them well... they feed them, try to be as hospitable as possible, etc. so that they will keep coming back.

Tim
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
What Tim said
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5414 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
..and Janel is a total hottie. Smile
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Well now, I was one of those people who referred to the L&L audience as "a professional audience." But then I started working some of Richard Osterlind's material, and I got reactions just like Jon's and Janelle's -- so I had to back down.

Maybe the material really is that good, no?

*jeep!
--Granpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On 2007-05-21 21:34, mormonyoyoman wrote:
Maybe the material really is that good, no?

Except that they react exactly the same way to every single trick performed by every single performer.
TAJ
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of TAJ
I think you're jealous because no one invited you to the shoot. Watch the performer not the audience!
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
622 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
My favorite moment had to be on one of Jay Sankey's "Very Best" DVDs during his "Stirring Silver" routine when Jay did a gag move that not even a seven year old would have found magical and John gave his normal response of "No Way!" or something like that. Jay stopped, looked directly at him and said "Are you retarded?" John looked a little hurt for a second, but was back in true form within no time. Though it perhaps wasn't the most appropriate comment, I did have to give Jay credit for throwing a flag on some excessive celebration.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I've always liked the L&L audience. Nice folks enjoying magic.

RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
If you do a search you will find comments from Osterlind and other performers that had worried about the L&L audiance reactions not being real etc... Read what they found out for themselfs and you will see the thoughts on these people being paid reactions fake etc.. are not correct
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1804 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On 2007-05-22 07:51, lumberjohn wrote:
My favorite moment had to be on one of Jay Sankey's "Very Best" DVDs during his "Stirring Silver" routine when Jay did a gag move that not even a seven year old would have found magical and John gave his normal response of "No Way!" or something like that. Jay stopped, looked directly at him and said "Are you retarded?" John looked a little hurt for a second, but was back in true form within no time. Though it perhaps wasn't the most appropriate comment, I did have to give Jay credit for throwing a flag on some excessive celebration.

Same with on some of the Petricks and Mias DVD. Petrick cut the the piece of robe into two, or was it ribbon, cant remember, but anyway he got UUUHS, AAAHS, WOWS and applauds for that. *** I wish all audiences were like in Lake Tahoe...

But seriously. If you watch older tapes like Michael Closes and first Ammars and so on, the audience werent so wild back on those days althought it is mainly the same people. It is very possible that they have just become to be comfortable infront of cameras but I still believe that some of them have become way too aware off it at the same time and doing maybe some acting. Especially because I find it hard to believe that everything is allways shot in 1 take...
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Is it true that the L&L girls are putting out a calender?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » What's Up with that 'same' Audience of the L&L Publishing Magic DVDs? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL