The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What type of effects would you not perform? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
There have been a few "your favourite" threads so I thought that it would be nice to find out what Café members would not perform. For example I would never perform

Fraidy cat Rabbit, Run Rabbit Run, Farmyard frolics, Man in the moon ext.

I would never perform a story trick

Phillip
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I don't do any of those, I also never do card tricks for kids and any effect that is what I call a "look what a clever magician I am " trick and does not involve an assistant. IE, silent production routines to music etc. The children are always the stars in my show.

I'd never do dangerous looking Illusions involving, cutting parts of the body, fire tricks, or sticking swords in people for kids either.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Emazad,
every time I look at your Avatar I think you look like Declan that reads the busines news on News 24.
Just thought I would tell you
Phillip
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Any particular reason for your never performing story tricks?
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I never liked story magic as a child in fact I would go as far as saying I felt story tricks where like talking down to me.
same with cutouts like run rabbit run ext.
so I do not feel comfortable performing them.
Just my opinion. But with so much other material and ways of entertaining using magic without treating them like babies I choose a different route so to speak.
Phillip
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Philip,

I like Fraidy Cat Rabbit, it is a sucker gag and if I use it it is the only one I'll use. I perfer Hippy-Hop Rabbits because they are more colorful but won't do both in the same show.

John Kaplan showed me a great effect with Fraidy Cat Rabbit for a Christmas routine. He reversed it and the black rabbit was the result of chased Santa up the chimney It played well. It was on his Magic of Christmas Video.

I have developed a routine for teaching E.D.I.T.H (Exit Drills In The Home) with Fireman Fred (Run-Rabbit-Run like trick except it is a Dalmation who can't find his pups). It is one of the very few items that fit so well in a fire safety program.

I watched Silly Billy get Great "Mileage" out of the Farmyard Frolics using the audience to sound like each character. It had a great Audience Participation aspect to it, but I don't do it. I think it would work for a younger crowd like day-care kids. There are others like Sammy Smith and Trixie Bond like that one. I seriously tough of getting it.

Ever since I spilled stuff in a borrowed hat, I would never do the "Cat in Hat" routine again. I really can't think of a trick I wouldn't want to try out, but I have so much good stuff now, I am really questioning myself when it comes to buying more, but I do!
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI Den,
I know lot's of magicians use these things, I just personaly don't like them and using them would alter how people viewed me and my act. People have no problem aprouching me and asking about entertaining the adults at there clubs, parties, events ext after they have seen me at a kids party, because they can see that I am a good entertaining magician by the majority of the effects in my my childrens show. several magicians in my area asked me how I was getting so much adult work and this is the reason. It works for me anyway! for example I did a lunch time 2 hour party for the Officers mess kids at RAF Brawdy about 15 - 20 miles from my home
They loved it so much they booked me to perform close up at there summer masked ball, they told the Sargents mess so I did there's too, It snow balled from there as I spend a lot of time in brawdy one way or another kids/adults the last one was close up for "ladies of soldiers serving overseas"
100 ladies no men all with husbands away from home. I had to be finnished by 10pm for the cabaret. I do not know what it was but I can guess as all males (myself and the servers/cooks)had to be out of the building by 10pm
Phillip
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
138 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
Since I do birthday party magic shows in people's homes, I do not do tricks involving liquids or fire. I also do not do head/hand chopper effects either (not my style).

One of the best audience reactions I get is with my original "Run, Monster, Run" prop which uses Sesame Street's Cookie Monster instead of a Rabbit. These were made I believe in either the late 70's or early 80's by Hank Lee, who apparantly ran into a issue with the licensing and was changed shortly to a bear shortly after its original release. I usually use it in every show. Despite being a 20+ year old effect, Cookie Monster is still a very recognizable character by children (good thing they never made a teenage mutant ninga turtle version!).
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
Rkull
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Rkull
I know they are popular in kid magic shows, but I avoid tricks or gags where the audience laughs in expense of the kid who assists you (broken wand, for example).
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Smash and Stab effects.

I also avoid Fraidy Cat Rabbit and the like, as they feel too proppy for me. Although I do have one sucker trick (Elusive Bear) for my kids shows, most of my material and props are not "children" magic tricks. When I look for magic, I rarely click on the Children's Magic on websites.

Just today, I had a Grandma ask me for booking info after performing at her grandson's Birthday. She wants me to perform at her birthday.

The line-up I performed today:
Professor's Nightmare
Shoelace Tie
Plate Spinning
Human Ringtoss
Rocky Raccoon
Squeeks (puppet) and big card trick (4 super jumbo cards)
Elusive Teddy
Ball Juggling
Chair Balancing
Straitjacket

Other tricks that I wouldn't do:
Puff the Magic Dragon (sponge magic)
Howzatt the Clown
Forgetful Freddie
Stratosphere
Genii Tube
a lot of Tenyo stuff (some products just aren't easily passed off as non-gimmick items)
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I would not do children's magic that appears to put a live animal in distress.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2003-01-26 12:17, p.b.jones wrote:
I know lots of magicians use these things, I just personally don't like them, and using them would alter how people viewed me and my act. Phillip

This is really what it is all about! That one sentence is pure gold! You know your character, you know your comfort level, and you know your market. In other words, you know what works for you! I only wish more children's entertainers actually thought about this stuff.

On tricks I won't do:

Fire, dismemberment, put-downs, Chair Suspension, live animals, swallowing anything, or gigantic flying plywood widgets. I will do card tricks if the kids are older than 8 or 9. In my show, the older kids love the Homing Card, Card to Pocket, and The Long Card. It suits my character.

I like story tricks because I like to tell a story. I think for a story trick to work, the story needs to be as good (AND FUNNY!) as the trick, and not some patter somebody made up in an effort to get to the punchline. Again, it has to suit the character.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2006-11-18 20:52, Rkull wrote:
I know they are popular in kid magic shows, but I avoid tricks or gags where the audience laughs in expense of the kid who assists you (broken wand, for example).

I do all of the wands, but I am the idiot (that is what I get paid for! Smile ), not the kid. The audience laughs at me. I agree with you 100% about making the kid the brunt of the joke. I have seen idiots make kids cry with this prop. It can be a great prop, but it is often misused/abused.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
RabbitsRevenge
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of RabbitsRevenge
I have no idea why anyone would think "Story Magic" is a bad thing in any way.
In my experience in life, one of the MOST exciting times for children is when their parents or teachers read them a story! This is an unarguable fact in life, as it is a time when children go into a place of wonder and dreams, living the experience through their imaginations.
Why in the world would a magic show be exempt from this quite magical experience?!
...unless, of course, you can't tell a good story.
RR
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2067 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I would not perform any chopping/dismemberment effects, piercing, smoking, swallowing, etc. at a child's party. In other words, nothing that seems to put the body at risk.

Regards, Steve
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
I never perform anything that uses fire, knives, or any type of magic that might upset the children. I use lots of comedy and age-appropriate magic.
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
I dislike performing story magic, and therefore, I am not comfortable doing it. It doesn't suit me at all. I can enjoy watching others who perform it, but that is a different thing altogether. One of my best friends, who is a fellow magician, decided to give vent a try after watching my show. Despite the fact that his technique was pretty good, he just looked uncomfortable and awkward, and the audience didn't respond. He dropped it from the show after a few months, and his act was the better for it. Funnily enough, we regularly find ourselves trading props because what won't work for him invariably suits me perfectly, and vice versa.
I just gave him a Supreme Ugly Duckling that has been gathering dust in my loft for years, and it has instantly become the hit of his show!

Tricks I never do are:
Run Rabbit Run
Hippity Hop Rabbits
Anything involving invisible thread
Story tricks, in general - Although, I did used to enjoy performing School or Circus because the magical content was so strong. (I stopped doing it because the artwork was so dated - maybe it's time a dealer released a new version!!)
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Everyone has there own comfort level and likes and dislikes....

I have 8 Miles of IT someone, anyone can contact me about buying... ARGGGGGGGGHHH,
I do not like the stuff....

Fire and Head Chopping are also out, in my mind.

As for young kids and cards, generally not on.... but I do have a great bit of business using "Alphabet" cards, and a routine that is kinda like "Who is on First" using the R & Y cards. Works for my pirate character...

Public humiliation of any young child is not a go in my mind either. That is why me, my "Ghost", or my Parrot are always the targets of the mischief....
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1589 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Different strokes for different folks.
Like Danny Hustle, I don't do any fire, water, choppers, nor anything from my mouth.
Everyone has a comfort zone. Do the magic that's you.
Whenever I give the break-a-way wand to a small child, I'd say, "This is a silly wand, it does all kinds of silly things; watch and see." This way, it's the wand that is doing the breaking.
I do the "Run Ghost Run". I tell the kids that it's a Chinese baby ghost (Foodini), and he's very, very funny.
Mark Lewis also does a very excellent "Run Rabbit Run".
Richard.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2216 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
For me, it all depends on the situation and audience at hand. I will never perform delicate tricks if there are some kids misbehaving. Especially, kids who just jump up the stage anytime they want.
I just performed a show today where 3 boys were constantly coming up the stage while I was doing my Dancing Hank routine and other stuff. I had to cut it short. One of those (fat) boys even grabbed my puppet's feet and took off his shoe. He wanted to beat up my puppet. He even attempted to pull my parrot's tail out, but I was quick to remove his hand. Boy, did I have a bad show today.
I had to cut my show short because I had 3 monsters. Well, this happens to me once in a blue moon.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What type of effects would you not perform? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL