The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wisdom... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
The old story goes that two guys are heading into the woods to chop down the Christmas tree. One of then ventures,

"What if we run into a bear?"

"Then we run." says the other.

The first exclaims, "But you can't outrun a Bear!"

"I don't have to. I only have to outrun you."

Love that story. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I kicked the slats out of my crib when I first heard that one, too, Doug. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Oh yeah. It's an oldy for sure. But where have all these thought provoking little stories gone? All we get now are boring sex jokes and outrageous improbable set ups. blat. Will Rogers come back!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat the problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300°C.

The Russians used a pencil.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-05-21 19:34, Michael Baker wrote:
When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat the problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300°C.

Great story, but false. When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they had nowhere near $12 billion to spend on EVERYTHING, let alone ANYTHING. The entire NASA budget was $500 million in 1960. By 1965, it had increased...to $5.2 billion.

The Americans, like the Russians, used pencils, but broken leads were frequent, and a safety risk in zero gravity; an entrepreneur, not NASA, developed the zero-gravity pen. His name was Paul Fischer, and he spent a little over a million dollars on his pen -- again, nothing like $12 billion. In December, 1967, NASA bought 400 of them...for three bucks each. Prior to 1968, lead pencils were used on all Mercury and Gemini flights (as well as all Russian flights). The Fischer pens were more dependable...and quite a bargain at three bucks a pop.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
By the way, ballpoint pens DO work in zero gravity, unless astronaut Pedro Duque is lying to us. Here's an excerpt from his diary:

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEM9YN7O0MD_index_0.html

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Now they are a bit more expensive.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2007-05-21 16:35, Doug Higley wrote:
Oh yeah. It's an oldy for sure. But where have all these thought provoking little stories gone? All we get now are boring sex jokes and outrageous improbable set ups. blat. Will Rogers come back!

What's wrong with sex jokes and outrageous improbable set ups?
They are basically all I got.

Also Lobowolf, this thread isn't about reality. it is about wisdom.
Wisdom as seen by an old person (Original poster). Since old people are typically senile, wisdom means whatever they want it to.
So give the old folk a break!
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I used to be a FAN of Josh. Now I think he is merely what hits it.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
By the way, about NASA:

I heard that the computer that sent our guys to the moon had about as much power as a Commodore 64.

I send my kid to school with a graphing calculator more powerful than that.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
You think I'm air? That's an odd thing to say
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-05-21 20:04, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-21 19:34, Michael Baker wrote:

Great story, but false. When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they had nowhere near $12 billion to spend on EVERYTHING, let alone ANYTHING. The entire NASA budget was $500 million in 1960. By 1965, it had increased...to $5.2 billion.

The Americans, like the Russians, used pencils, but broken leads were frequent, and a safety risk in zero gravity; an entrepreneur, not NASA, developed the zero-gravity pen. His name was Paul Fischer, and he spent a little over a million dollars on his pen -- again, nothing like $12 billion. In December, 1967, NASA bought 400 of them...for three bucks each. Prior to 1968, lead pencils were used on all Mercury and Gemini flights (as well as all Russian flights). The Fischer pens were more dependable...and quite a bargain at three bucks a pop.

That's the problem with reality... it keeps getting in the way of a good story!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-05-21 20:37, Josh Riel wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-21 16:35, Doug Higley wrote:

What's wrong with sex jokes and outrageous improbable set ups?
They are basically all I got.

I'm available to participate in either a boring sex joke OR an outrageous improbable setup.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
He said "Thought provoking little stories", not "true stories"... Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Ok, so these two ladies walk into a bar....
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I have antiquated notions of wisdom beginning with thoughts that correspond to reality. I'm oldschool like that, but I don't mean to discourage numerologists, certified feng shui experts, or Jonathan Edward himself from jumping in here.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Here's a tangentially-related anecdote...a friend of mine was a professor of philosophy at a local university. He served on a board or two over the years, and really tended to not enjoy board meetings. One such meeting had dragged on for quite some time, and they were only about halfway through the agenda. The next item was what to rename a class formerly called "Religion, Mysticism, and Witchcraft," which had suffered declining enrollment over the past few years. My friend is about 6'6", 350 pounds, but very soft-spoken. He speaks rarely and quietly. After listening to people go back and forth for about 15 minutes, checking his watch periodically, he decided to contribute to the discussion. When the surprised chair of the meeting asked for his input, Richard said, "Why don't we call it 'Alternatives to Knowledge'?"

DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-05-22 15:33, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Here's a tangentially-related anecdote...a friend of mine was a professor of philosophy at a local university. He served on a board or two over the years, and really tended to not enjoy board meetings. One such meeting had dragged on for quite some time, and they were only about halfway through the agenda. The next item was what to rename a class formerly called "Religion, Mysticism, and Witchcraft," which had suffered declining enrollment over the past few years. My friend is about 6'6", 350 pounds, but very soft-spoken. He speaks rarely and quietly. After listening to people go back and forth for about 15 minutes, checking his watch periodically, he decided to contribute to the discussion. When the surprised chair of the meeting asked for his input, Richard said, "Why don't we call it 'Alternatives to Knowledge'?"

Love it!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Haha...good one...but you really just wanted us to know you knew a Philosophy Professor and spell 'tangentially-related anecdote'. I had to cut and paste. Smile
billyboy1957
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of billyboy1957
I'm a fan of the stories of Mullah Nasrudin. One of my favourites is when someone asked him to give a basic description of how his house was constructed. He went away and handed his friend a housebrick, saying, 'It's just a collection of these'.

Ian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wisdom... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL