We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Derren Brown (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DB Disciple
View Profile
New user
England
4 Posts

Profile of DB Disciple
I was flicking through (uk) channels Friday night, and to my amazement stumbled upon Derren Brown on a terrible live show called "Born Sloppy". From what I can remember (I was kind of out-of-it...still am!) he asked this model to think of a memory...he looked at her, predicted what age she was in the memory (10), what the occasion was (her birthday), and what she got (a horse!) then she ran away from shock...

He also asked the host to think of a card, put the card face-down what he thought she had in mind, and of course she picked the same one... then did it with 3 cards in order. Drew a picture of a car, unbeknownst to the presenter, asked the audience to shout what the pic is to her IN THEIR MIND, then asked her to draw a pic, and of course she drew the same. Dude is flawless!
Gambit
View Profile
New user
Reading, UK
53 Posts

Profile of Gambit
Yeah I managed to catch him on the programme.
He started off with his usual ESP type routine, which went down well.
Then on the model Jodie Kidd (probably more famous in England than elsewhere) he 'read' her mind on childhood memory of 10th birthday receiving a horse - which really shocked her, though she is kinda famous for her love of horses/polo/etc...
He then finished by showing the audience a picture of a car, except the presenter who was blindfolded (Sara Cox) - then she quickly drew whatever came into her mind... and it matched.

I actually thought it appeared pretty good for Derren, much better than his Jonathan Ross appearance. Smile
DB Disciple
View Profile
New user
England
4 Posts

Profile of DB Disciple
Quote:
On 2003-01-26 10:40, Gambit wrote:
I actually thought it appeared pretty good for Derren, much better than his Jonathan Ross appearance. Smile

Yeah, absolutely. What I meant by "a terrible live show" people is that it's one of those live TV shows that's set in a pub, presenter chats to a couple of celebrities asking stupid questions, audience standing in close proximity like a gang of hooligans, bad jokes, and some music. It's just uncomfortable for me. That's why I was so amazed to catch Derren on there. What mentalists gotta do to plug their art. Smile BTW I'm a teen & certainly not anti-fun, just dislike that show.
wiggys
View Profile
Regular user
UK
104 Posts

Profile of wiggys
Another stunning performance by Derren. He must surely be Britain's best magical export at the moment, I can't believe he hasn't hit the States big time yet.
AndyChil
View Profile
New user
UK
35 Posts

Profile of AndyChil
I agree - the show made me feel a bit uncomfortable too.
It started off badly when Sara Cox (presenter) said to Derren "So, are you going to do some of your magical jiggery-pockery then ?" and Derren was rather taken aback. Smile ("My what ??")
Have to say I was very impressed by the routines he performed though.
Andrew Smile
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Quote:
On 2003-01-30 07:53, wiggys wrote:
Another stunning performance by Derren. He must surely be Britain's best magical export at the moment, I can't believe he hasn't hit the States big time yet.

I bought his Devil's Picture Book tape and, while I enjoy his work, I must say that his presentation and style are very, very English. I watch enough Premier League football (your kind) to have no trouble understanding him or his humor, but in his current incarnation he might not fly in the U.S.
AndyChil
View Profile
New user
UK
35 Posts

Profile of AndyChil
Quote:

What was he like on Jonathan Ross ? I missed it because we were too busy celebrating New Year !!

Andrew Smile
Gambit
View Profile
New user
Reading, UK
53 Posts

Profile of Gambit
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

This is the discussion about Derren on Jonathan Ross.
da5id
View Profile
Loyal user
Dublin, Ireland
252 Posts

Profile of da5id
Quote:
On 2003-02-08 18:26, cfrye wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-01-30 07:53, wiggys wrote:

I bought his Devil's Picture Book tape and, while I enjoy his work, I must say that his presentation and style are very, very English. I watch enough Premier League football (your kind) to have no trouble understanding him or his humor, but in his current incarnation he might not fly in the U.S.

I'm an American and just happen to be living in Dublin at the moment and so I've been able to catch Derren's shows. I don't think his style is too "English" and his work very much appeals to me.

I too own the Devil's Picturebook and since this is an instruction video I would say that his style was different from what I've seen on his specials. I think he will be huge in the States.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Derren Brown (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL