The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » S.C.AM. 2008 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5361 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Roth was really good I the close-up thing
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I have to say any time john Tudor and the rest of the SCAM group put together this convention every year it is always so good.

It is always hard to have every act be liked by everyone, it really is impossible to do that.

For me some of the best times are the lobby doing late night lobby jams.

Kudos to you John and all involved!!
Best
Ken

PS I hope you guys can make it to Atlanta for the SEAM http://www.seam2008.org
RMoreland
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
174 Posts

Profile of RMoreland
Quote:
On 2008-01-22 03:50, Godhandz wrote:
Please tell me the sessions were good.......I've never been to SCAM, but have always wanted to go.

What up Eric. Now you know the the boyz and I would never let the sessions go sour. The sessions were off the chain. We picked up a new SCAM sessioneer Caleb Wiles who had some mad chops and a great touch on the double undercut which was shared with Rich Aviles, Adam Ryan (or should I say The Adam Ryan) and myself in the darkest part of the Marriott sports bar. Chastain Criswell Tagged us a few times, I guess we are all IT until next year. Steve Beam was showing us all how inferior our magic is at the convention after party in the Hotel Lobby. Scott Robinson represented as well as a slew of other Charlotte Sleight Clubbers. Rich Aveles showed us his new fire Wallet that has to be seen to be believed. Saw Justin Miller at the after party, great guy, would have seen more of him but he spent the majority of the convention cloaked. And to top it off we were in the same hotel as Senator Fred Thompson’s campaign drop out speech. Fred could not come to the after party but we were joined by his press crew and they were a blast to hang out with. I think we all have a place to stay the next time we are in Washington. Either way that is a brief underground report from SCAM 2008 and I hope to see you all there next year.

Robert Moreland
http://www.myspace.com/illusiveactions
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Robert,
lol..cloaked and all I was there!
It was a great convention and look forward to 2009.
Justin N. Miller
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
And man,

that one guy in the cabaret show with the cards.

That was some talent!

Jk.

I really enjoyed this years convention.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
hagemagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of hagemagic
If you missed Rich's fire wallet, then you missed something amazing. Really fantastic. When he opens the wallet to let you see inside, there really is nothing to be seen! Awesome.

Charlie Frye was great. Roth, Capehart, Archer, Criswell, were all great even if some of the spectators could not add or spell.

The stage contest winner was one of the best ever at SCAM and the 1st place winner in the closeup contest was fun to watch because of his enthusiasm. After each "surprise" moment during his routines, he'd say "yeah" very enthusiastically. The second place closeup winner (caleb) was excellent and had a very tight set with great patter and very strong magic.

Overall the stage show on Saturday night was one of the most entertaining ever at SCAM. Charlie Frye and Chris Capehart were the best. For those people with the drive to be the best, you could not help but feel motivated after watching Frye. His routines were absolutely flawless and very energetic. You know he's a great performer/juggler when an entire row of well known close-up magicians give him a standing ovation. It's probably the first time a juggler received a standing ovation from vernon card disciples.

That's my take.
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
This year was probably the best SCAM I have ever attended. I have been an attendee, a competitor, a talent scout fro scam, a commitee member, and performed at SCAM. This year was by far the BEST!!!

There was every type of magic ou could dream of, startling coin magic(David Roth), amazing card tricks(Chastain and Kostya), fast-pace comedy(Archer),"real" street magic(Capehart), thought provoking bizzare magic(Just Alan), dazzling stage magic, and even unbeatable juggling and manipulaiton(Charlie Frye). Every type of magic for every person that attended and came to the gala show was there.

Kids were yelling out colors during Alan's act, getting invloved becasue they were captivated by the magic and story that was taking place on stage. Every entertainer was there for a reason. It was up to the person watching, if they recieved anything out of it. Your mind is a door, it will only open as far as you let it. I can't wait to see what next year has in store!?

-Matt McCoy
Don't worry---wonder!
http://www.mattmccoymagic.com
magicalwishes
View Profile
Regular user
Hickory, NC
143 Posts

Profile of magicalwishes
Quote:
On 2008-01-22 20:27, mattmccoy wrote:
I can't wait to see what next year has in store!?

To be honest I would love to see Eric Jones there.... he is not only talented but his close up magic is incredibly visual!!!! Also did you notice how professionally handled his comment and how it was taken. Professional Magical and NICE! Lets see him at SCAM 2009!

See ya real soon!
larrylegal
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
138 Posts

Profile of larrylegal
The stage competition was the best I have seen in the 3 years I have gone to SCAM, even without the 1st place winner. The 1st place winner's act was excellent and extemely smooth and polished, and I do not want to take anything away from that. He was like a young Lance Burton. He is from Las Vegas and just finished a 6 month tour with his act. He had already won, I believe, 13 or 14 awards for his act, and was taking a break in South Carolina from his tour. So he joins the SCAM competition and wins another. But . . . I would have liked to see one of the local guys win instead of "a ringer" for lack of a better word. Just the feeling I came away with after seeing all the work everyone else put in. How many times does someone need to prove they have an awardng winning act?

Larry
magicjy
View Profile
New user
Big Stone Gap, VA
61 Posts

Profile of magicjy
Was the winner of stage....Jason Andrews? If yes, then he is a good friend of mine. I asked because he said that he may fly out to SCAM but was not sure.

Joseph Young
---
MAGIC is believing in yourself.
If you can do that, you can make anything happen. - Foka Gomez

Joseph Young
WWW.JOSEPHYOUNGMAGIC.COM
larrylegal
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
138 Posts

Profile of larrylegal
Yes, I believe his name was Jason Andrews.
hagemagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of hagemagic
If he continues to win then that means everyone else needs to get better. It's like Steve Spurrier used to say at the University of Florida when his teams would score 70+ points each game. He would say his job is to score points and it's the other teams job to stop him.
maurermagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of maurermagic
The gang in Columbia did a great job. We had about 8 of us from the Hilton Head South Carolina area attend and we all felt the convention was fantastic. This was my 4th SCAM and I must say the best of them all. I know they will be working very hard to top this convention next year.
doormouse
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of doormouse
I think the other teams figured out how to stop him (Spurrier) Smile
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
This year saw the best stage competition that I have ever seen at SCAM since I started going in 2002. The close-up competition was also top notch and had more well performed and well thought out performances than I have seen. The lectures were very good, if a little short by necessity. (My biggest regret of any convention is that the lectures are usually shortened by the need for time.) Charlie Frye lived up to his name and FRIED me along with most (if not all) of the attendees of his lecture with his ACAAN performance. The close-up show consisted of Chastain Criswell, Danny Archer, Kostya Kimlet, and David Roth and was not only a treat to watch, but a privledge to see both Kimlet and Roth perform. The Gala show was excellent as well and while I did think Just Alan's performance slowed the show down some, I still thought it was well done and very good. My favorite of the entire convention though had to be the workshop with David Roth. I along with four other individuals spent nearly three hours learning and getting tips from the best coin worker in the world today. The symphony this man creates with coins is truly unbelieveable (and his card work ain't bad either). The opportunity to have this man teach me was likely a once in my lifetime chance and something I will not forget until I am 99 years old and drooling. And you are hearing this from a mentalist (although one of my vices IS coin magic).

Samuel
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Mentalism
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Mentalism
Can someone tell me more about Charlie Frye and his ACAAN version?

Thanks

Markus
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Markus,
All I can tell you is that he didn't tip the work. Someone in the audienc may have seen something I didn't as I was on stage. For myself, I don't want to know. It was a thing of terrifying beauty.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
magicman812
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of magicman812
I was the one who picked the number so I know that he did not use a stooge. It was pretty amazing.
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
SCAM 2008 Reviews:
Hi John:
The small Chattanooga Magic Club (5) of us would like to thank you for the most entertaining time at SCAM especially the Gala Show on Saturday Evening. It was if not the best Gala I have ever seen. I did fairly well as a dealer from what I heard a few others didn't do as well, But the young man that won the close up competition,was elated. James Agan and his parents were there to see him as well. Overall John it was really great. Please thank everyone involved. But Thank You for that GALA SHOW: it was TERRIFIC! Hope to see you again next year

Barry Manley
CM&F

Greetings,
I just wanted to tell all of you how much I enjoyed and learned from this
year's SCAM convention in Columbia.
I've been doing magic for many years and avoided conventions because I
didn't think they would be beneficial. This year's SCAM convention was my
first convention...and I was more that glad I went.
I've been in a magic high since returning home and feel deeply inspired by
the whole experience.
I know you all put a lot of work into this and I want to thank you for
your efforts.
Best wishes to all,
Bob Lippert
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
There's now a bunch (19) of SCAM Gala Show pictures up at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23262798@N0......5573283/
Plus pics from the presentation of the SCAM CAN award!
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » S.C.AM. 2008 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL