The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Small speaker system (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Ok guys need some imput. I have used anchor explorer for years for events like libraries, or shows 200 or less.

I want something similar but not an anchor. I own the PASO and it is great for birthdays but it stil does not sound as good as the explorer IMO.

So can you guys suggest another small speaker system like the anchor explorer?

Thanks
Ken
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
I have the Fender Passort.

Bairefoot
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13385 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What about the yamaha stagepas 300? Seems like the perfect PA to me for that size.or

Or the fender passport PD-150?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Ok I have the pd 150 and love it I am looking for a one speaker setup like the achor explorer maybe 75watts (less or more)

Ken
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
530 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I use a powered JBL Ion 10. I have two but I use one all the time. I plug my board into it but it has two inputs if you do not want to use the board.
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
Hey Ken!

I've got the iCue Portable PA system if you want to hook up and take a look at it. It seems quite nice.
robertwong
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, Canada
212 Posts

Profile of robertwong
Ken:

I am waiting for the Mackie SRM150 to come out. This little unit has the following;

• Extremely portable active loudspeaker system
• Built-in Mackie mixer for superior sound quality with:
3-channel mixer with 3-band active EQ
Two high-headroom Mackie Mic/line preamps with 48V phantom power
Instrument-ready input (no DI required)
Dedicated stereo channel for keyboards, CD, MP3, iPods, etc.
Neutrik® Combo "line in" for linking or adding inputs
XLR "thru" with mic/line switch for linking more SRM150s or direct send to main PA

• 150-watts of high output, Class-D power
• 5.25” premium-quality, full-range neodymium driver
• Frequency Response: 100Hz to 17.5kHz
• Complete system protection with built-in limiter
• 120 dB Maximum SPL@1meter
• Built-in top carry handle
• Integral aluminum heat sink
• Mic stand integration system for use with stand and boom
• Tough, impact-resistant,

The features that I especially like are:

Weighs only 7.6 pounds
Can be mounted on a microphone stand.
150 watts
It's a Mackie Speaker.

http://www.mackie.com/products/srm150/

When this product is available, you should find it for 299.00 US. The music store I am ordering it from here in Calgary informed me that the speaker is late in production and distribution and I should be able get one in the beginning in June.

Cheers,

Robert.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13385 Posts

I love the JBL EON 10G2. And it does have 2 inputs like the man said above.
I have a pair of these for outdoor shows or large indoor shows.

The sound is awesome. They blow away the PD-150.

Maybe you can test-drive the Carvin StageMate. Runs off battery too.
Seems like a great one-speaker system and you can add a second speaker too.
robertwong
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, Canada
212 Posts

Profile of robertwong
Frank:

I too love the JBL EON 10G2s, however I decided on purchasing the Fender PD-150 due to it's size and weight. I work alone and the less stuff I have to carry the better.

This Mackie speaker has a lot of power and is very portable. I love the fact that it mounts on a mic stand, how easy is that?

I discovered that if I am performing a large corporate event, usually the client supplies the PA system, in fact I demand it on my audio request from. (one less thing I have to carry and set up!!) The only times I have used my Fender is during school shows or in community halls where the system is very old or there is no system.

I can see myself using the Mackie speaker for my shows in between birthday parties and larger stage shows.

Cheers,

Robert.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ken,

Don't decide until you check out the Carvin Stagemate. I don't own one, but I;ve heard good things about it. I have owned lots of other Carvin gear and it has alwaus been reliable. They sell direct, so their prices.......value for the money.......bang for the buck.......whatever you want to call it.....it's near impossible to beat.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1813 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I'm a big proponent of the StageMate. The only problem I see with it is the weight. The StageMate weighs 34 lbs. with the built-in sealed lead acid battery. I added a second battery to go longer without recharging but now it weighs about 40 lbs.

If the weight isn't a problem, it's one of the most practical systems around. I could get by with using it for nearly all my shows. (I have the extension speaker so I can set it up with two speakers for greater coverage.)

Michael
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13385 Posts

In this case invest in a collapsable cart from musiciansfriend.com
like this...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/R......u=699005

This makes sure you're one trip to/from the car. Very very convenient. Priced right.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1813 Posts

I actually go a lot cheaper! I bought a couple of these when they were on sale for $19.99 each - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/di......ber=2758 (They go on sale regularly so don't pay $29.99 for one!)

Michael
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have one of those Rock 'N Roller carts but I only take it with me if I am using my large PA system.

Regan
Mister Mystery
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13385 Posts

Yes, me too. I have the small one. When I use my big PA that's when I use it and I can load everything!!!

Micheal, yours is only 19x29. that seems too small to use if you want a one-trip to the car and you have a PA. Is that so?
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Ken,

I have to ask, you have the Anchor Explorer (you didn't say if it was the "PRO"), what's wrong with it? I use the Anchor Explorer Pro with a Countryman earset.

Steve
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Steve not sure if it is pro or not. I have had it for about 7years and it has been a work horse. Starting to get some crackling sound in it. Thought I would see if there was anything else to see
Ken
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1813 Posts

Quote:
Michael, yours is only 19x29. that seems too small to use if you want a one-trip to the car and you have a PA. Is that so?

I can't do one trip for a show no matter what I do. I use two Lefler Suitcase Tables for nearly all my shows so they are one trip. Then, I bring in the PA stuff. The 19x29 cart is perfect for my StageMate, wireless mic, iCue Duo and a duffle bag with balloons and cords (electrical and PA.) The folding hand truck also has enough room for the StageMate and the extension speaker as well as the accessories mentioned above. (I put the mic, iCue and bag on top of the speakers.)

I also use the same size cart (I have two of them) for my JBL Eon G2 10 speakers. Two of them will fit on it just perfectly if they're face to face.

For my bigger PA system, I use the larger folding hand truck. I couldn't find it on Harbor Freight's site but there is another one that is 24 x 36. Here's a site that carries those: http://www.shop.com/op/~CART_24X36_400LB......ceid=298

I bought the larger carts years ago to haul in my illusions that don't have casters on their cases. The only problem with the bigger carts is they weigh a whole lot more than the smaller ones and they're harder to fit in the van!

Michael
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
993 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I used a Carvin Stagmate for over a year in Taiwan for busking and other shows. It is a really good unit and packs a lot of power. Yes it is a bit heavy on it's own. What I liked about the Stagemate was you could individually adjust each mic or cd player or guitar you plugged into it. The effects were also very good as well. All around I gave it a 9 out of 10, only due to it's weight.

All the best,

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Ken,

I like the Roland CM 30 for a small system that fits into my Leftler type table,, however, I too am waiting for the Mackie SRM150, which should be coming out June 24th according to a Mackie administrator.

If you can wait until July several of us will give a report on it.

The manuel looks great

HAve you looked at these posts:
Sound System Links
Mackie SRM150
Mackie SRM150 Manual (pdf)
Roland CM 30

Den
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Small speaker system (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL