The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Steve Dacri's Spongeball Toolkit DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
This looks like it could be really good. MJM has it:
http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/spongeball......481.html

Some of the contributions are credited to Aldo Colombini, Gary Darwin, Simon Lovell, Dean of Magicians George Schindler, Brad Burt and even Al Goshman.

The DVD is a definitive collection of "how-to" information for anyone who wants to perform sponge ball magic. It will be useful for all skill levels, from the beginner to the advanced performer. It is a toolbox of ideas, moves, vanishes, routines and advice, and it comes packaged with a fantastic set of sponge balls, a purse frame. Other props include a flat sponge, odd color sponge ball, rabbit, silk poke gimmick
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
I ordered it today. I liked the fact it came with props and I've heard Steve Darci is very good with the sponges.

I hope it's as thorough as they say it is.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The DVD is excellent, and the props are supurb! As for the props, I reveived 4 red SBs, 1 red flat one, 1 yellow SB, a medium 3D Sponge bunny, a purseframe, and the poke. The instruction by Steve is excellent, there are outakes (including entire performances) of his act, very funny bits, and special video instruction segments by those mentioned in Christopher's post, this is an excellent value!

Tony
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
Hi Tony,
How many moves and routines are taught? I love the fact that they included the props with this. Is this designed to be a thorough teaching on sponge magic, or more of a 'teach a routine' type DVD?
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I ordered this Because it comes with the props. I am also going to get this for my 10 year old cousin who is learning magic.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I wish there is a demo...I already have a lot of spongeball material and would like to see the variety and newness offered.
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
I have Steve Dari's videos and love his sponge ball routine's
I actually got to see him when he came to NY and gave a lecture

Is there anything different on this one?
Don
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It is difficult to say how many vanishes or techniques are taught because there are several different people teching their handlings, and there is overlap. An estimate would be about a dozen vanishes and variations, about the same for effects, and about 8 longer routines.

There is a little overlap between the L&L videos and this, but very little. This set was put out by Goshman, and not L&L, but Louis was asked and gave permission.

This set is in itself a nice course on spongeball magic.

Tony
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Sold out!! That sucks. I was just about to buy.
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I'm not sure about this one. I saw Dacri's three vol set a while back and was rather underwhelmed by his sponge ball vanish. I'm not sure he is the best person to teach sponge ball magic.

Though since there are other performers on the DVD and the fact that the props are included, it's probably a good deal. Just as long as people don't think that Dacri's technique should be imitated.

Iain.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
This looks interesting. It is also back in stock.

Mark.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On 2007-05-30 09:06, Iain Moran wrote:
I'm not sure about this one. I saw Dacri's three vol set a while back and was rather underwhelmed by his sponge ball vanish. I'm not sure he is the best person to teach sponge ball magic.

Though since there are other performers on the DVD and the fact that the props are included, it's probably a good deal. Just as long as people don't think that Dacri's technique should be imitated.

Iain.

I agree with Iain as I also was not impressed with his sponge ball vanish although his sponge rabbit routine is very nice. I think that one of the best sponge ball learning videos/dvds was/is by Brad Burt. He thoroughly teaches several excellent vanishes and routines. Although I also agree with Iain that for the money and the supplies provided, this sponge ball kit is worth getting.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I have not watched the DVDs yet, but it might be hard to beat the World Greatest magic Series from L&L.

Andy
Cards never lie
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Dacri has done his "martian Spongeballs" evrywhere, including Vegas and The Tonight Show.

I agree he flashed on his L&L shoot, but his nails were so darn long, maybe that's why.

With the other performers on the DVD, there should be an idea or two worth considering.

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I received this today ( MJM Magic ships so fast!!! )

The props are Goshman and so of course are frist rate. You get red balls, a yellow one, some flat red ones, a red bunny and a purse frame.

The DVD is a lot of fun. And there is a lot on it. It shows many live performances and I think that makes a big difference because I love watching seasoned pro's work. He perofrms at thew Magic castle and also shows various venue clips including one on the Jerry Lewis Telethon.

It's chock full of ideas and O think you get far more than you pay for ( with MJM's discount I only paid $21.78 and got free shipping-WOW).

I give this a thumbs up.

MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Chris, can you share a little of how the routines come across as more than just your standard sponge ball routine? (i.e. surprise endings, patter, etc.)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I just have been crusing through it. I already have a routine, so I was looking for new ideas. There is great footage of Al Goshman performing and explaining his classic routine.

Gary Darwin teaches a card prodcution and vanish with an idea I had not heard of to make it convincing ( so you avoid the flash )

I think this would be a great compliment to the World Greatest Spongeball DVD by L&L.

emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I ordered the kit. I just hope his fingernails are trimmed better than they were on the world's greatest magic spongeball dvd. I tried to show my wife his routine and she couldn't watch it because she was so freaked out by his fingernails. I had to agree with her.
IlDaDe
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of IlDaDe
I've bought it at Madhatter at $15,95, they shipped my order really fast! I've also got a free Dvd with my order!
Im waiting it, I think it will arrive tomorrow! I'm happy that I've read good reviews!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I just watched this. It's a very good dvd for learning sponge balls. Nothing new in terms of the routines but solid material all around. Flat sponge ball routine was weak but the flat sponges do allow for some creativity in your existing routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Steve Dacri's Spongeball Toolkit DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL