The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Steve Dacri's Spongeball Toolkit DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
This a great package. All you need to put together a tried and tested, entertaining sponge ball routine.

Worth more then the asking price in my view.

This is the ultimate in spoon feeding. DVD, routines and props!
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I should have mentioned one other thing. There is no dvd menu which is annoying. It makes it difficult to find the section you're after.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4115 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Mine had a menu. It isn't the greatest menu in the world, but it seemed to work ok on my dvd.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Hmmm I'll double check. I only had the option to play.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
My mistake, I was at the title menu, not the root menu. It is all neatly laid out.
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
I just got this, as well, from my local dealer. For the beginner, run, don't walk, to get this!

First, a perspective on my my level of experience: I'm a beginner amateur at all of this. Although I've been performing in front of audiences since I was a child (music, some paid), magic is a new endeavor (under a year). I don't have a sponge routine yet, as I'm still learning and practicing the basic sleights, but I've done the Goshman 3d sponge bunnies routine to great success with lay spectators.

With that background in mind -- I absolutely love the approach taken by this DVD. The "overlap" that others here have noted, I would classify instead as valuable repetition, alternative handlings and integration of these in the various performances. For example, although not presented in true linear fashion, there are several alternative handlings of the retention vanish, and even some tips for practicing or "nailing" it by Goshman in his vintage footage. The repetition is the biggest plus here IMHO.

I stayed up half the night watching this (something I didn't do with my Eddy Ray SB DVD). My retention vanish markedly improved just in the hours since watching this DVD, according to my daughter, whose retention vanish with these things is darn-near perfect.

I have the L&L SB DVD, but haven't yet seen it, so I can't compare. Had this toolkit come sans props, I still would consider it a great buy. And, the basic Benson bowl routine on the DVD, to me, is a great plus.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4115 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Of note, the sponges that come with the kit are not super softs unfortunately.
NMaggio
View Profile
New user
Nick Maggio
100 Posts

Profile of NMaggio
My reaction to the DVD is less than "good". This is a beginner's title. If this is your first introduction to Sponge Balls, then you will learn (eventually) many, if not all the basics. I say "eventually" because the repetition and repeats of the moves are meant to eat up time, rather than, instruct. In contrast to well thought out and produced videos, such as, Ammar or the Royal Magic offerings, this DVD seemed to me a hodge-podge of edits drawn together from various sources. Flamboyant Dacri is more a "cut and paste host", rather than, a knowledge provider. In many of the edits, Dacri was cut mid-scene probably to cover a flub. The scene was immediately continued, in some cases, with lower audio or different angles. If this happened once, one could over look the technique, but it happened many, many times.

To me Steve Dacri's Spongeball Toolbox and DVD should be considered a very expensive ($24.95) set of sponge balls and gimmicks.

Sorry,

Nick
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-06-14 17:57, NMaggio wrote:
My reaction to the DVD is less than "good". This is a beginner's title. If this is your first introduction to Sponge Balls, then you will learn (eventually) many, if not all the basics. I say "eventually" because the repetition and repeats of the moves are meant to eat up time, rather than, instruct. In contrast to well thought out and produced videos, such as, Ammar or the Royal Magic offerings, this DVD seemed to me a hodge-podge of edits drawn together from various sources. Flamboyant Dacri is more a "cut and paste host", rather than, a knowledge provider. In many of the edits, Dacri was cut mid-scene probably to cover a flub. The scene was immediately continued, in some cases, with lower audio or different angles. If this happened once, one could over look the technique, but it happened many, many times.

To me Steve Dacri's Spongeball Toolbox and DVD should be considered a very expensive ($24.95) set of sponge balls and gimmicks.

Sorry,

Nick

It is a beginers kit, but I still got a lot out of it. And it's only about $19-$21.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
I picked up the tool kit because of the remarks in this thread. I have always liked sponge ball routines. It is more for beginners, but that was what I took it for in the advertisement. This is a great add to my DVD library. I would say that for the price, even $25, that you get your moneys worth.

Chris
danielmok
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of danielmok
Hi, I have being doing magic as a hobby for many years and my skill on card magic is just average. I have no experience with sponge ball magic and is keen to learn the trick. Could someone advise whether I should buy the Steve Dacri's Spongeball Toolkit DVD or Sponge DVD by Jay Noblezada. Thank you.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-29 12:03, danielmok wrote:
Hi, I have being doing magic as a hobby for many years and my skill on card magic is just average. I have no experience with sponge ball magic and is keen to learn the trick. Could someone advise whether I should buy the Steve Dacri's Spongeball Toolkit DVD or Sponge DVD by Jay Noblezada. Thank you.

I have both.

Jay's DVD is very good for a beginner and it has the wonderful Gary Darwin section. It comes with 4 spongeballs.

The Dacri Toolkit comes with spongeballs and other tools to do even more ( purse frame, etc. ) And..it has a great Gary Darwin section.

I'd go for the toolkit.

harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
You should also try Ben Salina's DVD for sponge ball tricks.

Ben Salina is an awesome and gifted performer. From what I heard workers out there should get this.
To believe is Magic.
danielmok
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of danielmok
Quote:
On 2008-01-29 15:49, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:

I have both.

Jay's DVD is very good for a beginner and it has the wonderful Gary Darwin section. It comes with 4 spongeballs.

The Dacri Toolkit comes with spongeballs and other tools to do even more ( purse frame, etc. ) And..it has a great Gary Darwin section.

I'd go for the toolkit.

Thank you for your advise. If I am to buy the Dacri Toolkit, would it be difficult for me to do those sleight of hands since I am new to this? Is the Dacri DVD for beginner and will it teach in detail and at a basic level how to perform those sleight of hands?

I also recently purchase the DVD "In the Beginning there were coins." by Jay. Do you know whether are the sleight of hands taught in this coin DVD similar to those in the Sponge DVD?

Appreciate your advice to all my questions. Thanks.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 07:35, danielmok wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-29 15:49, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:

I have both.

I'd go for the toolkit.

Thank you for your advise. If I am to buy the Dacri Toolkit, would it be difficult for me to do those sleight of hands since I am new to this? Is the Dacri DVD for beginner and will it teach in detail and at a basic level how to perform those sleight of hands?

I also recently purchase the DVD "In the Beginning there were coins." by Jay. Do you know whether are the sleight of hands taught in this coin DVD similar to those in the Sponge DVD?

Appreciate your advice to all my questions. Thanks.

The Dacri DVD goes from beginner to advanced and you get everything you need in one package. I don't have Jay's coin DVD.

danielmok
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of danielmok
Thanks for the advice. Cheers.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Frank over at the Ambitious Card has these and a nice price too:

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/mSearchR......=goshman

Philp
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Philp
For what it is worth I will add my (belated) comment. I think this is a good value DVD with some limitations on quality but that is reflected in the price. There are some really good tips here which, in my opionion, easily compensates for the quality of the videography. As has been mentioned in earlier posts, the balls are not supersofts and it is well worth getting hold of some of those if you don't alerady have them. The purse frame and silk vanisher are a good addition. Overall good value for money.

Philip
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Terrific collection of props but, in agreement with several of the posts above, a rather muddled teaching format. With all due respect to the late Mr. Dacri, he was a performer, not a particularly focused teacher. He seemed to enjoy performing his sleights for the camera much more than doing a slow, careful demonstration of HOW he performed them.

Many of the other artists on the disk offer better quality teaching styles.

Taken as a whole, one can learn a great deal about sponge ball work from this DVD and included props. Just not particularly efficiently. Overall, well worth its $20-$25 price.
truerserenity
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of truerserenity
One of the best things and best value for money that have ever purcahsed.

I usually put a slit in the back of all my sponge balls though so that I can
put them on my nose and explain them away as having bought from the local Joke or
Fancy dress shop as Clowns Noses, that way they don't seem like such strange objects.

William
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Steve Dacri's Spongeball Toolkit DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL