The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » First impressions by Michael Paul (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
Sure, sorry about that Ben.

http://theinvisiblethread.com/secrets/pr......ts_id=31

Sean Waters, Jerome Finley, Luke Jermay, Paul Vigil, Alan Nu, and Kenton Knepper have all praised the thinking and lended their comments. I hope you enjoy it as well.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
It's a decent idea. Three things that would have made this better:

1. More detail on actually designing your own card, like which template was used at the site recommended. We have a germ of an idea, but no substantive instruction on actually making our own cards. He made the point that he didn't want to leave out an idea that would help us; there's a biggie.

2. A lower price tag. With the above omission, this is not so much a product as an idea. I don't think his idea is worth 20 bucks. Detailed instructions for designing and creating the business cards would have been worth $20, but as it stands I'm not convinced.

3. A more detailed explanation on using the method because, sorry Mr. Paul, the method is not an effect. If it's pure psychology (and it is) and you explain how it works (as the ad assumes you do-the repeatability is part of its marketing value), then it isn't mindreading or mentalism. (Of course, it isn't hypnosis or NLP either, but we'll leave a few pretenses in place.) It's neat and interesting. It works as a soft sell, but it isn't an effect. You aren't really doing cold reading (or reading at all in the proper sense, and pretending you are is, at best, silly) or anything that requires more than a psychology course or the ability to remember which way of picking the card up means what. Pretending its more than that is a bit sad. This isn't an effect, or even a method to an effect.
That's not a bad thing. I don't do effects with my business cards, peeks or the like. If I shred my card, it is only an object. I treat my cards better than that. In this case, the card has a property that can be used for a moment's amusement and interest, but it is never treated as just a bit of scrap paper. As a way to make you memorable, it is effective.

Overall, I like it. I agree with most of the negative criticism, and the majority of the positive criticism. I wouldn't purchase it again, but I'm not completely ****ed at ****ing away 20%. I give it a 70/100.
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
I'm love it that people don't like this idea because that just means that more people out there wont be using it. I've mentioned on another thread that this tool has actually booked me additional gigs. In fact, I'll get hired for a gig, and when I show up the host will give me the card and ask me to use it on other guest !

For those that are worried about it's functionality, I've found it's a great lead in into a cold reading, or any psychological effect.
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Hey Michael, is your site down or changed? The Invisible Thread link isn't working for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » First impressions by Michael Paul (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL