The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Trinidad Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
In Whit Hadyn's three card monte book he talks about Trinidad Monte. This is basically three card monte done with rubber disks. There are also a few mentions on some posts here. A quick google search turned up nothing.

I understand the basic idea but am looking for a bit more information (what kind of disks to use/unique moves/etc).

Does anyone know of any instructional material specifically for Trinidad Monte?
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Nope...but if you contact Whit (a Café member), maybe he can help with what you're looking for.

Mark.
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
I saw it on streets, from what I understand. Well it is exactly same as 3 card monte.
Pavlo
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I have Whit's three card monte book...he only briefly talks about it.

However there is enough difference so it is not exactly the same as three card monte, though it is very similar. The disks are said to allow some turnovers and the chalk move is the same psychology as some monte moves, but is not the same move.

It is the differences in handling I am wondering about. Is there any instructional material specifically for this?
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
No no no, this is strictly for hustling, there no material on how to do it. The flips are quite simple and nice. In a way this game is easier then 3cm, to do. I think they did somethink like that in Real Hustle mate, so just check it out.
Pavlo
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
Here that part of Real Hustle, but they don't do any convincers, they just play it as 3 card monte.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywD9d1q0oYE
Pavlo
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Thank you for the link. Though this clearly looks like a set-up video (the guy that "lost" seems much happier than anyone I've ever seen who got conned, among other discrepancies) it is very good to see this live.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
The only magic teaching I've ever seen on Trinidad monte was on Sal Piacentes 3-CM DVD. He actually throws the discs around. I've read many descriptions and seen some actual discs that have been used. But that's it.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I'm convinced the video was a setup as it was trying to put the point across about the game, not to show a crime as it's being committed. Or at least the victim was let in on it afterward before the followup interview.

I haven't seen Sal's 3CM, only his shell game DVD. Is the disc size the same? From the photo and sketchy descriptions I've read elsewhere, I would have imagined them to be much smaller, say 2 inches or so?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Quote:
On 2007-05-28 05:36, Pavloter wrote:
Here that part of Real Hustle, but they don't do any convincers, they just play it as 3 card monte.

It seems to me that he is doing at least one "convincer", the double flash!

And of course it's set up, in the sense that it's a TV show...
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
Well you need to see the way they do pickpocketing at Real Hustle man, too funny.
Pavlo
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 20:04, Dave VanVranken wrote:

I haven't seen Sal's 3CM, only his shell game DVD. Is the disc size the same? From the photo and sketchy descriptions I've read elsewhere, I would have imagined them to be much smaller, say 2 inches or so?

The discs are about the size of a bar coaster and maybe 3/8"-1/4" thick.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
You can play it with coins, it is easy and looks more innocent then. Just stick like piece of paper on one of them and you done. The flips come with practise, you will see all those small convincers come along as you get better.
Pavlo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Trinidad Monte (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL