The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Coin In Bottle - Original? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
Hi everyone, I'm posting this video on BEHALF for a friend who can't post in here because of certain email restrictions for registering in The Magic Café.

This is the description that he has provided for a Coin In Bottle effect that he came up with:

Sealed and Stuck
A factory sealed bottle is shown empty on all sides. The magician borrows a coin and melts it through the factory sealed bottle. Like Slam the coin is stuck inside the bottle too. Everything can be examined

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqmSbSjsSTM

The video quality is very poor because it's done with a webcam but he says he'll try to get a better video as soon as possible.

On his behalf, I'll like to ask if anyone has seen anything similar in effect, whether this could be in anyway be exactly like what Nick Verna's versions are like? (for those who've seen it)

Thanks alot.
BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Wow that was great! Semms like how e describes thier cibs.
Looks original...since their arn't many factory sealed coin
in bottles anways.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
WOW. I wondered how an ACTUALLY "visual" melting could be done. I LOVED it. Especially the sinking. Kinda had that "this is an illusion that it is inside, now it REALLY is" feel.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
That is wild! I have never seen a CIB like that before (and I have seen a ton), so I would say it is original. Smile
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
My friend, Ace, is looking into the possibility of marketing the effect if it is original. I'm hoping that someone could point us in the right direction on whom we can approach.

Thanks.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Contact Ellusionist and go for it!!! That clip was awesome!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Looks fantastic, if this is different in method to Nick Vernas then I so go for it! I'd def pick it up.

Your friend could release it himself.
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
To me it looks a lot like passing thru's gimmick.
If that's the case, then I've seen that approach before with liquid.
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
But the coin is too big to come back out and they say it can be done signed.
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
It looks like a Passing Thru-like gimmick, which is never ever clean and not easy to work with.

I honestly don't see any "visual" penetration here...None.
All I see is "gravity".

A coin FALLING visually is not the same as a coin penetrating visually.

I do see a lot of movement though, THEN the suggestion of a coin in bottle.
(typical)

I don't see the novelty here.
A Passing Thru-like gimmick...has been done before, with and without liquid.
I'm convinced, it's a Passing Thru-like gimmick, unless someone who knows can state otherwise.

Jlowhy?
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
Neither me nor my friend owns Passing Thru. There is a gimmick involved but only to achieve the sinking effect of the coin. My friend has two other versions that do not use gimmicks so it'll satisfy magicians who just want a penetration effect. When my friend gets a better cam, he'll post them out as well.

Additionally, he doesn't see how the gimmick that he uses can be used to achieve Kevin Parker's Passin Thru.

Perhaps you could direct me to sources or videos where variations of Passing Thru has been used to achieve what my friend did. Would really appreciate it. Thanks.
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
I suggest you get every coin in bottle you can before you go marketing something.
"OOPS I didn't know", doesn't cut it.
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
I agree with GM. It would be wise to backcheck this and make sure it hasn't been done before. Whether you hire a historian or as GM so brilliantly put it...get familiar with every other CIB out there. hehe.

Matthew Mello
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The illusion of a coin appearing inside the bottle, then falling to the bottom is EXACTLY what I feel is valuable in that clip.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
All I see is the coin fall from behind the bottle.
At no point do you ever see the "penetration" occur.

All I see is a coin fall from behind the bottle (where he displays it initially).
It just rides along the backside (where he put it in the first place).
There is no visual change or evidence that the coin ever entered the bottle.
The coin looks exactly as it always did (behind the bottle from the initial display).
It's just not convincing.

It clearly is NOT in the bottle, it doesn't even land at the base naturally.
Not a visual penetration at all, just a visual coin falling obviously OUTSIDE of the bottle.
It just goes behind his fingers.

I am 99.999% sure that is what you are doing. If so, it's nothing new.

If it isn't what you're doing, best of luck to you.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 13:18, gmmagic124 wrote:
All I see is the coin fall from behind the bottle.
At no point do you ever see the "penetration" occur.

All I see is a coin fall from behind the bottle (where he displays it initially).
It just rides along the backside (where he put it in the first place).
There is no visual change or evidence that the coin ever entered the bottle.
The coin looks exactly as it always did (behind the bottle from the initial display).
It's just not convincing.

It clearly is NOT in the bottle, it doesn't even land at the base naturally.
Not a visual penetration at all, just a visual coin falling obviously OUTSIDE of the bottle.
It just goes behind his fingers.

I am 99.999% sure that is what you are doing. If so, it's nothing new.

If it isn't what you're doing, best of luck to you.

The illusion, and it is a perfect one at that, is that it is falling through the water. Try dropping a coin and see if it floats like that in AIR.

Also, the illusion is that it looks like you are just doig what you were just doing with holding it behind the boottle, and that its blown away when it is let go of and it floats down.

What you are saying is likw saying a guy drops a ball from one hand to the other a few times, and then on the third time he drops it and it floats down slowly, and you say so what he is just droping the ball.

The pretense set up in this one is similar to floating a bill but starting with it just clinging to your hand, it isn't untill you let go that the real magic happens.

It looks like it is just held with your hand to make the "illusion" that it is floatin (or in this case in the bottle) and then the PROOF comes when you take your hand away and it floats.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Nice...
shadows
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of shadows
"Wow, how nice.. learning magic in open foruns" - this could be what any layman could have said if reading this. I have to agree with gdw. How can anyone comment in an effect without knowing the secret? I'm not affiliated with the creator in any way, I just have my opinion and I think no one should discuss or try to expose anything just because it looks good, or because that person does not knows how to achieve the effect.
I have no idea how it works, I just think it looks great and that's all it matters.
Correct me, if I'm wrong.
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
What illusion?

It doesn't look like it is in the bottle at all.

gdw,
A coin does not float, it FALLS.
Plus, a coin does not fall that way in water. Go ahead, drop a coin in a real bottle of water, then see how it really looks compared to that. (viscosity)

I see the coin falling down the BEHIND the bottle.
That is what I see.
That is just what I see.

It looks like the coin rides along the back of the bottle.

That is what it looks like to me.
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
It just doesn't look convincing to me, that's all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Coin In Bottle - Original? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL