The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Balloon twisting and legal issues (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mishel
View Profile
New user
Israel
100 Posts

Profile of Mishel
From TMeyrs site:

QUICK START KIT #2031K

With this kit and a week of evening practice you will have the skill and confidence to twist for strangers. If you set it up like the book says, they will be happy to pay you...

I have stumbled upon this at TMyers site and it just reinforced a troubling issue with balloon twisting and the law that I don't know anything about.
I've been twisting for a month now and I enjoy it very much. I went out several times and twisted for strangers but I made it a point not to charge anything for the balloons, just to give them out for free.

This was fine and I think I will keep doing exactly that for a long while, but even as I was just twisting hearts, dogs, swords and flowers, I got a lot of people asking me for a business card, do I do birthday parties and all sorts.

I don't think I am quite ready for any of that stuff, but I was wondering what is legal and not legal when doing balloons for strangers. I have a pretty strong feeling it is not that legal to just start doing balloons and charging money for them as the above description of the starter kit may suggest. I know several authorities must be informed when you make any profit.

The thing is I don't even want to make any profit for now, I just want to cover the cost of the balloons tht I am giving out.

How does the law go in regards to working for tips? I assume I can give a lot of balloons and the one person who will give me a tip will cover a lot more than the balloon he got, but can one work for tips with no legal issues?

I have no idea. I'd love for someone to shed some light on the matter. I tried looking for 'legal' in this forum but nothing like this came up.

Thanks,
Mishel.
Mishel.
Don't let the same dog bite you twice.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You are in Israel so the laws obviously are different than other locals. If you are giving them out the way I would do it is to make a comment such as "when they pop make sure to throw the pieces away and remember kids can choke on balloons or pieces so be careful". Also if a lil' kid is involved hand the balloon to the parent NOT the kid, let the parent hand it to the kid. If they ask for a card and you are not into that business just say so. If they offer you a tip, and I found when I do balloons for free they offer tips at times, accept it graciously with a thank you. It isn't likely illegal for you to accept a tip anymore than it is illegal for you to toss a few bucks to a guy who helps you change your flat tire just because he wanted to be helpful.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I would agree with Magic Santa (how can Santa be wrong?).

Cover yourself from the "ausing damage to people point of view. Like Santa said don't give the balloon to kids, and make sre tey throw away the bursts. I have no doubt that in te UK if I were doing this and someone dropped teh burst balloons near me I would get done by the local council etc- they would balme the "busker".

Having arranged a gig 2 yeas ago in Burton (for WEAR) it was incredibly easy to set up. AND tey told me if I wanted to collect for my charity I could on that day (i didn't even ask). In my experience just ask your local authoruty they are realy helpful here in teh UK.

ANy way on my way out now to get t Bad to the balloon DVD ... may spend te mornign playing rqather than working!

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Balloon twisting and legal issues (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL