The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Introducing a Knife. . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jason K.
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Jason K.
Hi there,

I've been working on my street preformance for quite some time now, and I was wondering if maybe some of you out there won't mind helping me out a bit. . .

My show isn't a really circle show, it's more of a close-up-busking kinda deal, so 30 - 35 people max.

For my climax, I do card in lemon. Now here's where my problem starts. . .If you saw an 18 year old stranger introduce a knife on the street, I'd bet you wouldn't stick around for long. . . (This is my guess, I never tried this particular effect on the street, and never will, until I'm sure it won't make anyone uncomfortable)

So my question is this: How could I relieve the tension when I introduce my blade?

Thanks!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
For off the street don't worry. For the bill in the lifesavers I use a mini Samuri sword about 16" long.

On the street a serrated butter knife still cuts the lemon and stops the cops from looking at you too close.

The butter knife opens up some great comedy lines too. (At home the staff lets me use this so I smuggled it out for todays show)
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
324 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
A good comedy line is all you need. How about
"for the next part of this trick I require a 2 foot long samuria sword!" Wait for a gasp and then "unfortunately all they will let me use is this little thing." By this point they are imaging something huge and when you pull out the smaller knife those few people who would have been worried are now relieved.
If you are still worried then do something to make the knife less threating. Add some rhinestones or glitter to the handle or just find a less scary knife. But over all there is a line that can cover any situation.

Mat
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
You could try a plastic knife, of the stronger type as well.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Jason K.
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Jason K.
Thanks guys.

I thought a line would help. . .
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
When I needed a knife for the finish of a trick, I just said, "Does anyone have a knife I could borrow?"

In a second about 20 guys whipped out switch blade knives.

Smile Just kidding...

However, I came up with a gag last summer at the Kramien Northwest Jubilee (a great convention set for Memorial Day weekend in 2003)... I walked on with a rope and said, "Flying up here they wouldn't let me bring scissors, so I brought this (brought out a pistol)... (handed it to someone in front row and said,) "I want you to shoot the rope, in the middle. Aim carefully!"

I held the rope in front of my face. The guy pulled the trigger "BANG" and the rope came apart.. I staggered a bit and SPIT OUT THE BULLET...

I restored the rope in an instant (it was the Neff Miracle Rope)!

Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
That is brilliant!!!!

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Pete,

I hope you are putting some of these in a book somewhere.

Also you seem to be smaller than you were before?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Introducing a Knife. . . (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL