The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Australia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of glatner
Hi all,

I'm heading to Australia this summer and would love to try busking their, I was wondering if anyone knows about the laws and such.

I'll be in Melbourne for the convention, and then Perth.

Any tips woud be appreciated.

Thanks

Gabe
nick nickolas
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
78 Posts

Profile of nick nickolas
Melbourne will be cold in June/July definatly won't be summer,,,
Perth will be warmer but still winter,,,
both can be worked..
how much street performing have you done?
Nick
Stormer
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Stormer
I'm not sure about Perth, but you do need a permit to busk here in Melbourne and I'm pretty sure they're free. IMO the best place in Melbourne to busk is the Bourke St mall. It's in the heart of the city and it's always very busy. This site may help you out a bit more. Enjoy your stay when you get here.

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cfm?top=128&pg=1026
nick nickolas
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
78 Posts

Profile of nick nickolas
Bourke Street Mall yeh is very busy, but is mainly used by statues and musicians...you ain't allowed to busk there if you are a circle act i.e. you get and keep crowds of more than about 15people...oh I wish I could play there... Getting a permit is no problems just follow the links Stormer has put up.. You can also busk in St Kilda the best place being near Luna Park also Federation Sq though they do have booked events there a lot. On Southbank we have a draw at 1pm on Saturdays and 11am on Sundays for a Slot...
Perth is no worries and no Permits (as far as I know) also Frematle which is a short train ride from Perth is good on Sat/Sun outside the Sail n Anchor Pub once again they have a draw there can't remember what time though.. Have you busked much Gabe? Do you busk in Melbourne Stormer? I thought I was the only magician on the block here.
Nick
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
HI guys,

I'm living in Perth. You do need a permit in the city of Perth. $22 from the city council for a month. There are a few performers playing here, and you may on some days have to get in the line so to speak, esp weekends.

Fremantle you don't need a permit, if you don't specifically ask for certain amounts of money to see your show. (some who make balloons there, have been shut down for asking for a specific amount for each item) They have a draw at the Sail n Anchor pub besides the markets at 10am each Sat and Sun. To get a spot you really do need to be there, as there can be more performers than time slots. Each person gets an hour. There are some good acts there, but no regular magicians. (There was an American Jewish guy from New York there last month for a few weeks)Plus Nicholas' prodegy from NZ as well. Does the escape with the hula hoop curtain. His name escapes me at the moment. He said Nick was his magic mentor. A great guy by the way.

All the best,

JoJo

ps. There is a thriving little magic club here as well Gabe. Drop me an email and if you're here I'll take you along if you like. Every third Wednesday of the month.

jojo_magician@westnet.com.au

If you need any other info about Perth get in touch.
Magic guy in Perth Australia
nick nickolas
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
78 Posts

Profile of nick nickolas
Nice one JoJo,,, the American was Kenneth Lightfoot, and the tennis racket escape man Tony Roberts a 'pre loved 'ex- car salesman,,, who couldn't do a french drop or juggle 3 balls 4yrs ago...
My best student, he practiced hard, his card work in phenomanal, at 40 he threw in the job 100k a year plus and bacame a street performer has no home 2 bags, skills and a show... He's off to Europe soon and is the happiest I have seen him in 12yrs...
Thers hope for us all ,,,all you need is focus,belief and tenacity Tony's living proof..
Say hi to him from me if ya see him JoJo..
Nick
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Hi Nick,

I think they've both moved on a couple of weeks ago now. They may have been staying at Goose's place just out of the city. Tony Roberts, that's right. I recognised a couple of his lines that I've heard you use before. He was good and from what I could see, did pretty good over here.

I mentioned in another thread that the guy at the Freo Street Festival (Magic Brian) was ok, but not spectacular. All seemed to get good hats though. The stars this year in my opinion were the "English Gentlemen".

Anyways,

all the best,

JoJo
glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of glatner
Thanks for all the great help!

Jojo- I know one magician in Australia who is really involved in a lot of the clubs, "Joe Witkin" have you ever met him?

I've probaby busked 8 or 9 times in the last 2 years, but only in one particular area.

Thansk for the advice

Gabe

P.S. Will any of you be going to the ASM convention?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Doesn't Australia require work permits for fuzzy foriegn types? I recall many moons ago Stevie Nicks getting into trouble when she went on stage to sing with Tom Petty and she didn't have a permit to perform (and get paid) in Australia.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

HI Gabe,

I haven't met a Joe Witkin. I've only been involved with the club in Perth. I won't be going to the big convention as I'm off to Taiwan for a couple of weeks so won't have the cash needed. I think a couple of guys from here are heading over that way though.

When you are sure you'll be coming to Perth, send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number here. I may be able to give you a hand if you get stuck.

All the best,

JoJo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Australia (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL