The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Director » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Danny,

I re-read the post wher you thought I questioned your creds and saw how one could mis-read it. Made a mistake, sorry.

Josh London
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Hi Nick,

since I lived in Indonesia and there are only TWO professional Working Pro that play in the corporate arena, My only Magic Diretor is my trusted magical Friend and Ken Weber Book MAXIMUM ENTERTAINMENT.....sorry can't help much...I just like to share how it is a MUST to had a director
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Nick! I LOVE your website! It is one of the freshest, collest sites I've seen in a long time!
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-05-31 21:00, joshlondon17 wrote:
Danny,

I re-read the post wher you thought I questioned your creds and saw how one could mis-read it. Made a mistake, sorry.

Josh London

Not a problem, but how about helping with those answers?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
What would you like answered?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Read the previous post.

How many shows and etc. All very important questions when it comes to it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I have to agree with BDC about Nick's website. Easily one of the best that I have seen, and like everyone else here, I've seen hundreds.

Great website Nick! Smile
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Danny,

I'd be happy answer some questions over PM, but not here. I don't think that's the direction this topic should take. So, if you'd like to PM me some questions I'd be happy to entertain your very inquizitive curiosity.

Josh
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hey Bid Daddy, when I read the first post of the thread I didn't see the plea looknig for a director. My lord I gave you the business for no reason!LOL.

You owe me one free one buddy. I sure deserve it. I have nothing to squalk about when it comes! LOL
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Bid Daddy, Christopher thanks for the website comments. Always nice to get affirmation of your ideas ;p And Mesmer, thabnks for the tip. I have the book already even if I don't agree with the entiety of it, there were certainly some most useful and interesting ideas in their.
Peace Out
Nick

P.S. BDC, I'll PM the second half to you when I get time, and also changes to the first. I'm trying to replace the Bill in Lemon part.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-06-01 19:23, joshlondon17 wrote:
Danny,

I'd be happy answer some questions over PM, but not here. I don't think that's the direction this topic should take. So, if you'd like to PM me some questions I'd be happy to entertain your very inquizitive curiosity.

Josh

You made the claims in public, I just wanted clarification. I got it thanks.

you claimed there was a lot of reasons NOT to have an intermission. I thought it necessary to see what brought you to the conclusion.

BDC has obvious credentials, I listed why I felt it was a good idea. I thought that if you simply told us how you got to the conclusion, it would help to clarify things for me at least.

To make claims and have ideas that have not been tested is fine, but it needs to be said they have not been tested is all.

BDC's comes from 20 plus years of experience doing directing. Mine comes from 20 years of performing, but hiring a director when necessary, which for me is actually often. I like to have another "eye" with a coherant vision from another ponit of view other than the stage.

I simply wanted to know how many shows it takes to get to where your opinion is. Just clarification is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mr.Dennis
View Profile
New user
Louisville Kentucky
81 Posts

Profile of Mr.Dennis
Danny,
Are you still in Branson?

Dennis
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I suspect Danny Doyle doesn't suffer too many problems with hecklers.

He's always got his angles covered.

I think having the common sense to hire a director, despite his years of experience in the business, shows the man has his feet planted firmly on the ground.

I just wish I'd seen the wisdom in getting direction 3 decades earlier. A supposedly healthy ego can be decidedly unhealthy.

Destiny
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-06-05 20:43, Mr.Dennis wrote:
Danny,
Are you still in Branson?

Dennis

Fantastic question. Yes and no. We live here, but we have taken a more lucrative contract with AMResorts in Mexico. Better money and same show. I found out pretty quickly that another limitation I have is I am not a promoter. I was losing money because I could not fill the room enough. As I said this is a weakness. The town in general is not in great shape, so rather than stick it out and lose money, well I thought going someplace to work where people were already there, and expecting me, was a better move.

So we left. Failed? Guess one could say that if you like. We lost a lot of money over all.

My feeling is the only person who has never failed is one who has never tried.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I did a run of 2 shows a night for 5 nights a week for 3 weeks. I never claimed to have a whole lot of experience, but Danny, you took what I said the wrong way. I meant the original comment for the guy posting this topic.

Josh
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So after a few shows you came to your knowlege?

See Josh this is my point. When you make comments like that and don't include experience, well then it falls kind of short as helpfull.

The point is Josh that things are done the way they are for reasons. Reasons we all may not understand. For example my horrid promo attempts. If I had a promoter, it would have been better. I screwed up. I "thought I knew" which made me twice as ignorant as someone who just simply didn't know. It was a mistake to say the least.

I am a fan of breaking rules. Always for a good reason. BUT Big Daddy will tell you this I bet, you have to KNOW the rules first, then you know WHY you are breaking them. It is the point I was making.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
As to breaking the rules - I agree that you must first know and understand the rules before you break them. You must understand why they were established so that you can understand why you are breaking them. "Because it works well for me" is not a strong enough motivation. It has to work to further a theatrical or even practical purpose.

And I have produced shows and been in shows that did not have an intermission - for a reason... I also played a role in a production of My Fair Lady - that particular production had TWO intermissions!
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Director » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL