The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Storage for Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris Oberle
View Profile
Elite user
California
444 Posts

Profile of Chris Oberle
I've been into magic for 5 years now and I have put all my magic in shoe boxes. I was wondering if there are any boxes or chests that you all could recommend me buying for storage of my tricks.
Thank you all for your time,
Chris
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
Wooden fancy tool kits with felt lined drawers are nice storage places for magic.
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
I've been buying a lot of Vaultz Containers. They are metal file boxes but look very nice filled with magic. Found them at Office Depot and Staples.

Doug Malloy has a few nice cases.
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Rubbermaid is a friend to all magicians in their quest for organization, or at least to me anyhow!
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
If some of your stuff is small, like gaffed coins, color-changing knives, walnut shells, etc., you may want to look into a small or medium size jewelry box, with lots of small felt-lined drawers and compartments. This keeps everything neatly organized and also away from prying eyes.

You can pick up decent-looking wooden jewelry boxes at KMart for about $20-30. They often go on sale around Xmas, too. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Depends on the kind of stuff you're storing. I use two tool boxes, the type that are several chests on a set of wheels, plus I have several sets of shelving that I stack larger stuff on and cover with plastic to keep the dust off. My smaller close-up stuff goes in the tool boxes and the larger stand up and stage props go on the shelves. I've used Rubbermaid type containers before with some success, but found the shelving much easier to find things I want with. The clear plastic simply lets me see it and reach for it.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I've found that a clear vinyl shoe rack (the kind you hang on the back of your closet door) makes a great storage for smaller effects. You can also go right to whatever you are looking to practice with when the time presents itself.

-Bryan
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
Hi Guys,

This is a question that I'm wrestling with right now. Dilemma - small house, too many magic books, props etc. (well, according to my wife, anyway) and our two wonderful autistic boys. Answer - move house to one that has five bedrooms, loft conversion, basement and double garage. Excuse me a moment, whilst I take my medication and lay down in a darkened room!

But seriously though folks! Quick reality check! I think that I shall just have to settle for stackable plastic drawer units on wheels. As regards books etc. good old flat pack book cases, positioned wherever I can.

Well a guy can dream, can't he?

In Magic,

Lester
Justin Impossible
View Profile
Veteran user
Distant Land Of Shmooo
328 Posts

Profile of Justin Impossible
If your really into magic and you want something nice, plus the fact that magic takes up ton's of space. Go down to the old antique stores and pick up an old truck! They look cool and work like a dream!
Peace
J
Justin Impossible
www.justinimpossible.com
www.facebook.com/magicianjustinimpossible

A pretty assistant is the most effective form of misdirection.
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
Quote:
Go down to the old antique stores and pick up an old truck!

I can't help thinking you meant TRUNK!

Cheers =D
Learn something new everyday.
MrBrett
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrBrett
Walmart has excellent, metal looking, ATA style briefcases that can be found in the tool section. Theyre great because they have pouches in the lid, and movable partitions that will go anywhere in the box so you can customize the size of each compartment. In canada, they sell for $20 so it would be cheaper in the US. Theyre made by Fuller which is a very good company for tools.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
If you search 'machinist chest' on eBay, you'll find a variety of lovely chests with felt-lined drawers. This is what I use.

David
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
I travel light. My current kit looks like an old wooden lunch pail that's been felt-lined. The cups and balls go in the top where the thermos would be, the cards, coins, TT, manip balls, silks, rope, whatever... go into the bottom. The wand doesn't fit but I don't care. $5 at Michaels. Of course I have a full chest of drawers, a storage ottoman, and a chest with a false bottom for all the stuff I choose not to carry on the day =D
Learn something new everyday.
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I like C&N footlockers. They come in different sizes and can locked. My son loves to get into my magic things. He thinks they're cool. Thus the need to lock and store things away from curious eyes.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
New house. Married to both magic stuff and the wife. Home too small. We're closing on it next week.

:magicrabbit:
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I found a black entertainment center on Craigslist. Someone was selling it for about $25. It is about 5' tall and has an upper smoked glass door and a lower solid door. There are about four shelves that divide the two compartments that were originally designed for stereo components. It makes a great magic armoire. It actually looks good in our bedroom. Between that and my Pro Table, I'm good!
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-06-13 06:56, Lester wrote:
Hi Guys,

This is a question that I'm wrestling with right now. Dilemma - small house, too many magic books, props etc. (well, according to my wife, anyway) and our two wonderful autistic boys. Answer - move house to one that has five bedrooms, loft conversion, basement and double garage. Excuse me a moment, whilst I take my medication and lay down in a darkened room!

But seriously though folks! Quick reality check! I think that I shall just have to settle for stackable plastic drawer units on wheels. As regards books etc. good old flat pack book cases, positioned wherever I can.

Well a guy can dream, can't he?

In Magic,

Lester

Dreams are good. Don't we all dream ... even outrageous ones? Smile
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
NW Ont Canada
540 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
Presently I am using a large fishing tackle box and a tool box for everyday storage. For shows I have an antique radio box 18'' x 24''that has lots of specialty built in compartments
Looking at a rubbermaid multi compartment on wheels for the home storage. It is like the mechanics metal chest tool box, but made of plastic.
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
I think keeping your trick coins in a plastic grocery bag from Walmart is the way to go.
Lumas
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
202 Posts

Profile of Lumas
My room is so tiny and I don't have many draws, so I just stick everything in a rubber maid container that slides in and out from under my bed. If I had a choice, I would go for something wooden, stained really nice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Storage for Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL