The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » How did you become interested in gambling moves? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
For me it was coming across Darwin Ortiz's book Gambling Scams in 99 and about six months later I was in Gerry Griffin's magic shop in Pleasent Hill, CA and purchased two video's of Martin Nash which contained gambling moves and routines. I have been interested in gambling stuff since then.

So what's your story?!

Rick~
Self concept is destiny..
C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
I was 12, it all started with a trip to Disney land and a stripper (deck). I was aaaw struck. My family always gambled (weekly poker night) so I started playing at a young age, I think I was 7 or 8. From 12 on it was magic effects with my spare time practicing "gambling Moves", mainly stacking. I've alway been interested in stacking, blocking, and tracking so I studied that stuff but I never used it when I would play. Its just an obsession for me. Long story short I got taken for about $600 dollars one night in a game that was suppose to be with so called "friends" I lost some cash, went to a atm (mistake #1) came back 1st hand I get raised and reraised I had
A,Q ♣ the flop was like 10,4clubs,6clubs a couple more raises there is only 3 of us and about $300 in the pot. 4th rolls around 8clubs I hit a high straight. here come mistake #2 ( I should have gone all in) but I didn't. Another round of betting.. still 3 people in, pot is like 4something. Next card a 10 of ?? Now I go all in I had like $150 left. The other 2 call the bet one guy had a lower flush BUT the other one was holding 10,4 OFF SUIT!!! who the hell stays in with 10,4 off suit. Earlier in the night he was talking how he would never play that hand blah blah blah. The way I was raised early on, and lead on I'm about 95% sure they stacked the deck while I was gone. And being friends I had my guard down. I was never asked to come back after that night either. About 4 weeks later I called the guy (by the way I taught him how to play poker) who held the game and asked if they were playing ( it was next Friday). Needless to say, I walked away that night with my money back plus a little more and have never been asked to play there again or even talked to the guy. AAHH I feel so much better. There were a couple other things that had happened the night I got taken, I'm not sure which one it was( there was 10 players) I just got up an left. Its amazing how we don't remember our big wins and never forget out bad loses. So that's my story.
"theres a lot of good card magic in that book, unfortunately you have to have skill to do most of it." Smile
ronfour
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of ronfour
So they cold decked you and then you returned 4 weeks later and beat them out of more than you had lost. That's amazing. Did they try to do something to you or did you outcheat them?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15815 Posts

Profile of tommy
I was raised by gamblers. I think my Grandmother taught my first move. I think she meant, look out for this one, but I kind of thought, that’s cool, never mind look out for it, I am going to do it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
They didn't know, but they had a hunch I think....
"theres a lot of good card magic in that book, unfortunately you have to have skill to do most of it." Smile
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
Happened for me when I read the article in American Heritage Magazine about Vernon's search for the Center Deal. This was in the summer of 2000, I think. Great spread w/ lots of pictures. Anyway, that was it for me.
j0ndrums
View Profile
New user
SF bay area
22 Posts

Profile of j0ndrums
I got really into this stuff when I found a copy of Scarne on Cards in a used book store. That book didn't really explain much, but it sure peaked my curiosity about the subject.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I got a set of dvds for christmas called the book of cool. it had gun spinnning, bmx tricks, whip cracking, fancy bartending, and a magic and card section. the card/gambling stuff was with george joesph. when I saw what he could do with that deck, that was it for me...

I caught the bug.

Click here to view attached image.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Bizarrist
View Profile
Loyal user
The Man of Mystery
236 Posts

Profile of Bizarrist
When my daddy had me dealing him blackjack hands when I was 9 so he could focus on counting the cards. Those were the days when even a kid could count the deck and FEEL the cards. Oh the memories.....

SW
The Most Beautiful Experience We Can Have is the Mysterious.
Keirua
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Keirua
I only use overhand stacking, second deal and bottom deal, since in France overhand shuffle is the most used shuffling method, among people who can shuffle cards...
I never play Texas Hold Em for money, so cheating while dealing or shuffling cards helps to increase the fun without consequences (at least up to now, since I never got caught). I discovered that it is quite amusing to remain serious while doing a bunch of things in the back of my friends.
False deals, althought quite hard to master, are also quite useful in many areas of card magic, that's why they first caught my attention...
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I was working a gig when this older glassy gentleman in a brown suit walked in. He came right over and said, "Are you Chris?". 5 minutes later I was invited to the man's apartment for coffee to talk magic. As it turned out, he lived just around the corner. He showed me just how far a person could really take card skill, particularly with gambling style routines and moves.

The man was my good friend Martin Nash. I can't even begin to try and explain how much his work as influenced mine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » How did you become interested in gambling moves? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL