The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My Promo Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Hey guys. We just finished my promo DVD. It was 325MB when completed. With the help of Scott R. Sullivan here on the Café, I was able to reduce the file to 16MB and still keeping decent quality. Scott really knows his stuff when it comes to video/special effects. Check out his site. Scott...I owe you a beer.

The guy who recorded all the video and did all the editing on the promo is also a member of the Café (Cinemagician). I met him over a year ago at my restaurant gig. We became friends and he offered to shoot a Promo for me at a reasonable price. At first it was not something I was interested in, but he convinced me that it was something I should do...and I'm glad I did.

The video is 6 minutes(there was over 4 hours of raw footage) and we wanted to stick to the theme of "everyone is having a great time" as opposed to "look how great a magician I am". We viewed some other promos for ideas and saw that some had the testimonials near the start, but we decided to move them towards the end...just a different approach.

If any of you guys still have a dial-up connection...it might take about 10 minutes to load the entire video. With a higher speed connection it should load right away. I'm still working on the design of video web page...so it most likely will change soon.

Here is the link: http://www.richiebmagic.com/Video.html

Enjoy

Richie B.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Couldn't get it to load???
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Hey Justin. Do you have dial-up. It may take up to 10 minutes to load. Its a 6 minute video.

It just loaded for me from the link on this page. I had some other people view it just to make sure its working and they reported no problems?

I don't know why it didn't work for you.

Rich
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Justin, here is a link to You Tube. The viewer is bigger...but of course the quality goes down a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5x8AoK64qc

Richie B.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Excellent!

I got it to work and am glad!

I gave it a 5 star rating! And a comment.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Justin, thanks for taking the time to view it and making a comment.

I also viewed your world record holding coin productions...impressive!

Richie B.
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Richie B.

I liked it.

- Intro high energy and a lot of fun
- Nice balance of formal, casual and kids
- Great opening effect
- Great reactions
- Great testimonials

I have a few very small suggestions and they are focused on the type of client that has many talent promotional videos to look through in a limited time period.

- I am a big fan of testimonials and I would have like to see them in the first minute thirty seconds. (Your testimonials are great)
- I would consider two types of promotional videos one for the busy corporate planner and one for the family reunion coordinator. You sold me at 2:08.
- Add drop-in points. During the video. (Corporate parties. Family friendly magician. Walk around magician. Value added experience for customers.)

Very well done. You should be proud of the work you put into this video.

~John
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
John, thanks for taking the time and for the suggestions. They are very good points to consider.

Rich
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hi there,

Great promo video! Looked very professionl and I loved every minute!

God bless!

Magical Mark Watson
(mark1991)
http://magicnewstelevision.com/mn/magicalmark

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Hey Mark, thanks for the compliment and taking the time to post.

Richie B.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Hi Rich,
first of all, you can tell from the video (I could only see the first half - it stopped loading after that) that you are GOOD, and the people you perform for are having a great time...which is what counts, and shucks...I'd hire you, but I think you need to treat your video like a lady...and saw her in half.
I'd say 2-3 minutes and no more. There was a lot I saw in the first half that should have been edited out. I have done a lot of editing myself, and I need to make a promo video for myself as well, but from what I know, you should reduce the time to no more than 3 minutes, so that the person watching it can get the valuable info at the end without shutting it off first...they'll know they want to hire you after the first minute anyway.
Great job though, I hope I can do something similar one day soon.

Kaylan Smile
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Hi Kaylan...thanks for the input. If you have a high speed connection it should load staight through. If you have dial-up it could be a problem. I agree with you that most people will move on and not watch the rest do to the length of the video and the loading time.

Originally we were shooting for a 4 minute video...and with 4 hours of footage, some great and some not usable, we moved it up to a 6 minute length. We also based this decision on some of the "big name" promos we watched. They ranged anywhere from 3 to 8 minutes in length. This was really designed as a DVD promo for me to hand out to higher end clients, to hopefully land some bigger gigs, and not just for internet use. Under those circumstances, we felt 6 minutes would be OK.

Kaylan, when I saw the editing process after we had the footage, I gained a new respect for you guys that do the editing. Mark Walsh (Cinemagician)did all the editing. It was very time consuming and lots of tough decisions. Some of my favorite effects did not make the cut for various reasons.

Anyway, thanks for your comments and it is possible that I may have it cut down a bit before I send it out for duplication. There are also 2 spelling errors that need to be corrected.

Richie B.
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
I was never good at spelling! (But not bad at "casting a spell" Smile ) Thanks to you who have already posted your honest reactions to this promo video. Rich is a great all-around magician. He does cards, he does coins, he does sponges, he can work sucessfully for groups of two or groups of two-hundred. He does, ropes, he does rings, he even does a bit of mentalism, or "mental magic".

It was really a challenge cutting 4-5 hours of material into 6 minutes. But, perhaps as has been suggested, I could have done even more cutting.

As this is my first promo video for magicians, I welcome any and all feedback. Rich is my friend, but he is also my client as far as this promotional piece is concerned.

My intent was to promote foremost the personality and performance ability of this magician as much as possible, therefore, I left many "flashy effects" aside.

Too often I see promo video's on youtube or elsewhere that are big on effects and graphic design but small on communicating the personality and talents of the performers depicted.

Please, I would love more feedback (positive or negative) about this video.

Sincerely,

Mark M. Walsh
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
I must also extend my thanks to Scott R. Sullivan who gave of his time and expert knowledge in assistance to Rich. He is a very learned and talented man and quite experienced in the area of creating promo videos for magicians.

Thanks Scott, you're a class act-

Mark
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Mark,

I appreciate the comments, but as you know, all I did was explain how to best compress a video file! Thank you for the kind words. If you are going to Bob Little's, we'll have to track each other down. I'd like to meet you.

All the best and good luck with your new business,
Scott
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
315 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Don't know if this has ben posted, but the beginning is WAY to long. 1 min. Honestly, I was just looking at the pictures while it was going, went back to the Café too... cause it goes on, and nothing is happening.

Just my two cents.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Balukmagic, Thanks for taking the time to view the video and for your honest feedback.

The part that you don't particularly like is my favorite part of the project. You are correct that you see me performing with audio audio after 1 minute. But within the first 10 seconds you see a montage of magic along with people having fun. On my website, it probably is difficult to appreciate the opening sequence due to the size of the player. When Mark(Cinemagican) and I had our first meeting prior to the editing, I explained how I wanted my personality to come through, and more importantly, showing people having a great time.

When I saw the opening piece and how Mark incorporated my logo along with people having a good time...I was blown away. It was not what I expected at all, and I was very impressed with Mark's creativity.

That being said, I will digest all of your input as I'm sure there is room for improvement and that is why I value your opinions.

Thanks,
Richie B.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My Promo Video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL