The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Shrinker! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-06-03 19:14, andrewmayne wrote:
[...]
Thomas Wayne: I think anything is up for an opinion personally. I think the problem here is that some people like what they see and others are upset that they like it.[...]

Ooops… you missed a few categories there, Andrew. There may also be people who don't like what they see... and aren't afraid to say so. Put me on that list.

Quote:
I’m surprised that something being obvious is the deciding point for you. I don’t think I’ve ever bought a trick that I didn’t already know how it worked.

Something being obvious to me is NOT my "deciding point", and I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth. When a method seems obvious to LAYPEOPLE... then it becomes a deciding point. And, as a matter of fact, since the age of 14 I have made it a rule to NEVER buy a piece of magic unless I do know how it's done. Saves on the buyers' remorse.

But your defensiveness is misplaced with me, Andrew, because my post was actually in response to a post wherein the poster said “Don’t bash this effect until you buy it”. It was THAT lunacy I was responding to. Spelling it out, if I need to BUY the effect to bash it, haven’t I really gone backwards a couple of steps? I mean, I’ve put my money in your pocket, and now I’ve got an effect I don’t like. The statement made no sense to me and I said so.

I’ve seen the Marvey effect before, and I like it a lot – but there are reasons why, in the context of his act, it looks so good and evokes such a great audience response. Presented as we’ve seen it in the demo video it just seems too bare and obvious to me. Just my opinion, and I’m sure that won’t slow your sales any – who knows, it might even help… lol

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I can't wait to get this. I already have a perfect place for it one of my acts.

I'm amazed at some of the things being said in this discussion. The amazing part is that just yesterday I made a post that has a lot to do with some of the comments being made here. Some of you might want to read it.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......41&7

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
Randi, that can be said for many effects. In fact many times laymen come close to a solution. The girl is not actually floating, she's hanging. Ok, but how, since you couldn't see anything and hoops were pased around her.

Actually, I did say many effects have this problem.
And the floating girl is NOT an example.
When you see the girl float...
A laymen is forced to answer more than one question.
A layman can't blow off the details.
To answer the floating girl, you have to solve the details.
This is what makes the effect work.

Having to answer more than one question is what makes a trick good.
When they only have to answer one question and no details, it some times lacks.

Let's see... without bashing some trick... I will use this example.
Image the coin-out-of-ear trick some old non-magician grandpa does.
With that, you only have to answer one question.
How did the coin get behind my ear? It was in his hand.
That was an easy answer because you didn't see the hand empty.

Now imagine it done by a magician, using a hoo coin, and setting it up.
Now there are several questions you are forced to answer.

How did the coin get behind my ear? well, it was really in the magicians hand.

But where did it come from since the magicians hand was empty?
umm... I don't know. hmmm... maybe it was behind my ear.

With this version, you are forced to answer the details.
Which they shouldn't be able to do.

Now that might not be the best example.
But if you say you don't understand where this is coming from,
you are either just wanting to argue with me, or don't know much about magic.

Now about this shrinker trick...
After reading his reply...
Quote:
As the only person who has performed this live for lay people, I can say that the weirdness factor overwhelms skepticism. My friends still get weirded out when I do it for them. And they know exactly how it works.

Shrinker is meant as a fun, weird one-man illusion. The opinion of my professional illusionist colleagues is that it’s visually superior to stage illusions that go for several thousands of dollars.

I can totally see that being true!
And I can agree with that.

Randi
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2007-06-03 19:14, andrewmayne wrote:

Eddie Garland: Two more words…George Carl

Funny Bones...nice! Irwin achieves similar results using his trench coat...more of a mime thing not nearly as odd as this.
I think your effect looks fun and should be a real hit!

Thanks Niva for posting the Peter Marvey clip..way cool.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2221 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I'm really curious if this can be used with Bisection...it's a neat idea walking up shrunk, growing and then cutting yourself in half! Talk about Bisection..UNLIMITED.
knickz4lyfe20
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of knickz4lyfe20
Looks cool, but angles are probably going to be a pain.
still would be awesome to do a friend on the off beat!
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
Andrew just said there is a 360 version in the DVD.

Eddie you are welcome.
Yours,

Ivan
Chris Oberle
View Profile
Elite user
California
456 Posts

Profile of Chris Oberle
Looks hysterical. How are the angles?
zachdotcom
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
58 Posts

Profile of zachdotcom
Quote:
On 2007-06-04 02:25, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-03 18:36, Taurus wrote:
I wonder how many grown men are going to be running to a mirror now.

You mean more than usual?

TW

He meant to try out the "obvious" method. Don't get upset because you did it.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Can it be Preordered?
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
I always like when there is another version on a DVD which can be done "totally surrounded" or "without gimmicks" or "impromptu" or whatever, and it ends up looking horrible. I'm not saying that is the case here, but it seems to me that many alternate methods given are more for marketing reasons. (also to add padding to an expensive DVD with just one trick on it).

Anyway, I hope Andrew does not take the skepicism in this thread personally. There is just sooo much junk out there that people are afraid of getting burnt on more bad products. And when the promo looks like it has poor angles and a fairly obvious method, there should be some hesitation and questioning. I hope we're wrong, and this ends up being a practical and deceptive miracle. I guess we'll know soon.
ziffkher
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of ziffkher
From the promotional clip, it doesn't appear convincing enough. Firstly, it was performed at night and the shot was taken froma higher perspective. Probably that is why many has assumed SHRINKER is a terribly obvious stunt!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I hope none of you buy this so I can make it my trade mark effect. Smile

I can just see it. Enter the stage (Or a room) they think you are a little person and will treat you accordingly. Being a deaf person I know what it's like when people know you have a difference. Mine isn't as visually obvious but once they know some people treat me differently. So with this I'd let them think I'm a little person for a while.

Than maybe I try to get something that's out of my reach. My solution? I just grow.

I can think of many other ways to present this where I need to shrink or grow.

Personally I don't think as many people will think it's as obvious as some of you are suggesting. But to me it's the kind of thing that even if they do figure it out it's still an entertaining trick. Very funny, memorable and unexpected (unexpected when presented right pretty much equals shock).

I have another use in mind for this but I'm not going to share it. Not until I perform it and then maybe I'll release a demo video of this use.

I watched the video of that other version of Peter and I bet most of them see how that's done. It's still very funny and visual and the audience loves it.

I think this trick will get laughs from most people. Shock from many people and a lot of use in my acts.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2249 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey Ron,
How have you been????
WE met at the convention in Vegas last year. You were rooming with Sean bogunia, and were setting up in Lance's theatre.
Whats been going on with you and magic???
I stand by Ron, I already see a lot of good presentational ideas for Shrinker.
I cant wait for its release.
ALEX
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
512 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
Every single item I have ever purchased from Andrew has been top notch!
This, I am sure, will be no different Smile
I can't wait!
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. ~ Shakespeare
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
The thing about this trick is its just bloody weird. I got the video link early on from Andrew, and its so bizarre, I immediately went to the the mirror.

The thing is you'll perform randomly sometime or more elaborately on stage and people will laugh and many will immediately try it themselves but just won't get quite the same effect ... its just a fun illusion.

Depending on how well the gimmick blends in and looks will effect how popular this effect will be, if its one of those things you could just whip out ... seemingly impromptu and be pretty clean I think it'll really kick off.
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
746 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
I think it looks cool and would certainly freak some spectator's out. I did a street party on the weekend and that effect would have killed. Looking forward to the reviews.

Michael
Magician, Mentalist, Entertainer.

www.mikebelieve.com
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2262 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Video never loads...just the rest of the page
Pay it forward
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I really want this illusion, it looks so incrediblely shocking!!
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
Yes, at the right time and the right place, this illusion will look good. I wish I had the funds right now to purchase it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Shrinker! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL