The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » UK Jumbo Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leeo
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
99 Posts

Profile of Leeo
One for the UK contingent here. Does anybody know if there are any UK jumbo coins? A 10 pence would be excellent.
Best regards,
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
587 Posts

Profile of wayman
I use 5 pound coins

They are about the size of a Dollar not quite jumbo but still large.

Guess what, the Jubilee Coin is now Available!!
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
On the subject of this:

What is a good standard English coin to use for general coin magic?

I have been finding difficulty gripping some of the coins in various palms and keeping the hand looking natural due to their small size.

Thanks for any advice,

PT
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
old English Pennies from the 1960s
they are about the same size as half dollars
just a hair bit bigger
they are pretty common in coin magic from copper silver tricks to spell bounds etc....
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
And the rim of the pennies makes them, for me, far easier to palm, both Classic and Downs.

But I know that some people find the half dollars easier to palm.

And regarding UK jumbo coins, Davenports had a jumbo h*** coin a year ago, quite cheaply. Dunno if they still have them.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
Does anyone know where I can get hold of these old English Pennies?

I suppose the largest coin we have in regular circulation in the 50p, but it's not exactly circular.

PT
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
PT, Use a £2 coin. Okay it is slightly thicker than ideal but that will only matter if you need to plam more than 4. It also has milled edges which give a better grip when edge-gripping coins. Try them they are quite a good size.

You get old English pennies when you buy a copper silver gimmick because otherwise you may not be able to do the routine as soon as you buy it. I wouldn't advise buying lots of pennies this way though as it would be quite expensive! Smile

Try going to a coin shop or market stall. Either may have what you are looking for at a reasonable price.
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
Leigh
View Profile
New user
Ex-Blighty, now Canada
78 Posts

Profile of Leigh
Magical Wonders in Watford, England supply old pennies. You can get 6 for £1.00
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
I'm sure if you are willing to spend the money you can find a machinest who will make you the coins.

it's probably going to cost a few bucks though.
NickW
View Profile
New user
Derby, UK
66 Posts

Profile of NickW
When possible I like to use £2 coins, as Neil suggests; apart from the size they're good and visual. The only drawback is that you can't count on borrowing one (either there aren't enough in circulation yet, or people don't trust me...), so if that's important you may need to work on sleights with smaller coins.

Maybe there should be a magician's petition to the Royal Mint next time they're redesigning currency. Bigger coins, and a banknote worth £1 would be top of the list for me...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » UK Jumbo Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL