The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Compleat Invocation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of 1908
I just ordered this huge book. What should I expect from this book? Any thoughts from anyone who already read it? Wow, is it 900 pages of bizarre magic? I can not wait to take it in my hands... Smile
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
"The Compeat Invocation" ends with #61. Andruzzi and then Docc Hilford extended it to #83.

It contains some really interesting material that has inspired me to develop some of my bizarre routines. Some of the ideas in The Invo are great; others would never work or be practical.

As with many of the bizarrist ideas, some have voiced the objection that there is too much talk for too little magic.

At The Gathering in November in Connecticut, I lectured on how I extend and develop these ideas into full routines of 15 to 25 minutes in length, and how I incorporate more magic and special effects into the stories.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
roguemagic
View Profile
New user
bizarre iowa
96 Posts

Profile of roguemagic
I agree. At times there is too much talk without enough substance. However, I love my copy of the Invocation--if for no other reason than to see what other bizarrists are dreaming up. Within the pages one can find a few useable gems that one may put into one's repertoire...or even, spark some ideas of one's own.

Take care,
Craig
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
The Docc Hilford copies of The New Invocation which have never been released in book form are on ebay.
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Most of the books with Docc's name on it are usually reliable (usually). The amount of information in the Invo is huge, so obviously expect to find a lot a useless talks and hypes. It took me about 4 months to read it, and after re-reading the parts I had highlighted there are surely a few items I will use.
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of 1908
I found it very interesting and different from other books! I got a lot of inspiration but I still did not read the whole book. Anyway, I am sure I will never give this book to anyone! I will keep it forever!
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Best money I have ever spent on a book. I read this book all the time, and always learn something new. Smile
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Worth investing in as it is something you are likely to refer to time and time again.

Many great ideas for presentation and out of the box approaches to what are often routine effects.

Distincitive artwork throughout the publication.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Who did you find that still had them in stock? Last I spoke with you the person you tried to order it from didn't have any in stock. Please post it here as I am sure the others on this board would be glad to find out as there are a lot of bizarre guys and gals who haven't got a copy yet.
Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
gordo
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of gordo
I have Tony Raven's Original issues of Invocation 1 thru 16 plus indexs in perfect condition.
I no longer do the bizarre thing so if any of you are looking to own a rare item I might be convinced to let them go.

take care, gord
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Compleat Invocation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL