We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Help! I need simple Teach-in ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Ok guys and gals here's my problem. Smile

I am slated in April to give a teach-in to some people who want to set up booths at festivals and do "magic with a message" for anyone who wants to listen.

I need ideas for simple tricks that these new magicians can do easily with practice, and/or gimmicks. To lay it all out, I need:
simple tricks & patter --not much, just everything.

I have 6 tricks that I am planning on right now:

1. A wordless book Hot-rod I'm making
2. The Professor's Nightmare
3. A slush powder trick
4. Lota bowls if I can come up with some of the old plastic (cheap) Lota bowls
5. TT's (again if I can come up with some cheap ones)
6. And possibly a comedy card trick w/a message Smile

So go back to your early days in magic and think small and simple. I don't want to scare them, but I want to let them know that even the EASY/gimmick tricks take PRACTICE.

:cucumber: Smile love them smileys

So, I know you all are just Smile standing around Smile with nothing to do but think of ways to help me, Smile I would really appreciate any help you've got the time to give.

Thanks,
Steve Smile
zzz

P.S. Oh yeah, the people who asked me to do this let me know that money was no object, as long as I could buy/supply the stuff to use they would let me. Smile that's another reason why I'm trying to go simple and cheap.

Steve Smile
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1296 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Hello Steve,
Booths at festivals featuring "magic with a message" ... awesome! Ok, here are a few ideas for you...

1) The King of Hearts 3 card monty from Dock Haley is simple, easy to perform and quite inexpensive (I think they go for 3 bucks each in the standard playing card size)

2) Bill switch using gospel bills, again obtained from Dock Haley. I love these and do this a lot, usually I hand one out to each person or child in attendance afterwards. There are lots of possible biblical tie-ins, I usually quote I Chronicles (Everything in the heavens and earth is yours and this is your kingdom...)and explain that God owns everything, including our money

3) Little "ring on coil" trick... you can take it off but they can't... unless, they have faith (have it set, so they can take it right off), then it comes off easily. If you know this one, you'll know what I mean, if not PM me if you want. Another very inexpensive and simple trick.

4) Pen thru bill, you can get some of these for around 10 bucks I think. After the pen if thru the bill explain how this is kind of how we are without Christ... we have a hole in the middle of us, in our heart or spirit and we can spend our entire life trying to fill it with different things and pleasures. None of which ever really satisfy. Only Jesus can fill that void and make us truly whole. And when he does we are made complete... removing pen at the same time, show bill is whole!

Just a few ideas, things I have done and had great responses and enjoyment from. Hope some of it helps.
Good luck with everything.

GlenD

Oops, I didn't give the full reference for that verse in I Chronicles... it is I Chronicles 29:11.
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
That sounds great Glen, I have the King of Hearts, & I've seen the Pen Thru Bill (but not w/the gospel app., sounds great), so I'm going to have to check out the other two. This type thing is exactly the type stuff I'm looking for. I am hoping to amass a large selection so I can let whoever comes find what they are comfortable with.
Thanks again
Steve Smile
zzz
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1296 Posts

Profile of GlenD
You're welcome Steve, glad I could share something useful. I have a few other ideas but I figured you would get more feedback, a lot more, actually. I guess some of our other brothers have been busy or unable to visit the old Café here lately. By the way, where abouts are you located ? Sounds exciting what you have going on there.

Regards,

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Glenn I am located in the Smile cultural center of North Carolina, that's "Lillington". It really is a very nice place about 1/2 way between Fayetteville and Raleigh NC. We've lived here off and on while stationed at Ft. Bragg, and we love it. It's far enough away to be quiet, but close enough to "the Big City(s)" (haha) to get to anything we could want.

Thanks again for the post.
Steve Smile
zzz

P.S. You're probably right, they haven't had a chance to read the post yet. I am hoping that I'll be inundated with ideas, but feel free to post more.
Steve
z
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
An eight card brainwave is easy to make up in multiple sets from a couple of decks of cards, and I use a patter that consists of something like this; (I am writing it up for publication in detail, but will toss out the basic idea with its rough edges here ..)

Show the faces of the eight cards, and say people are a lot like these cards. Some are light and some are darker, and some are bigger, and some are smaller.

Why don't you point to one of these cards? And I will show you something else.

When the card is selected, you lay the card down in frot of the spectator.

You then say; but even though all those cards are different visibly like people. Do you know what sets a Christian apart from all the others?

You proceed to show the backs of the cards (using the brainwave display) and taking the last card - with the back showing, and use it to flip over the spectator's card. And as you turn it, you say, Christians are different - in their hearts, where it doesn't show.

And you then show their card to have a different color back than all of the other cards you showed. You then take their card and put it back with the others, and you are reset to do it again.

You can get a lot more specific in the message, but this one is quick and starts folks thinking...

There is a nice handling on the 8 card brainwave on one of the Ammar easy card videos.

I will try to think of a couple of more easy ones and drop them off here as time permits.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Thanks BroDave
I appreciate it, I can use all the help I can get, and this one sounds neat.
Steve Smile
zzz
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Check the Chazpro sale page TODAY the sale ends tonight. Tons of cheap effects that can have a good gospel message. I think some gospel books may be left, but it's all limited quantities.

The cheap lota bowl (jug you spoke of was there). I think for a buck each?

Mike

I usually don't post this till I buy my stuff. http://www.chazpro.com/specials.html Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
KingStardog
Thanks, just got in, gotta go and see about that. Gotta rush
Thanks again
Steve Smile
zzz
chrismatt
View Profile
Special user
Why would you read any of my
965 Posts

Profile of chrismatt
It sounds like you're asking for effects with a religious theme. Given the venue, I'd suggest you concentrate on effects using everyday objects, rope, string, paper napkins, paper cups, liquid, coins, etc. One trick I remember from long ago relies on a simple paper fold.

Pat and Mike are at St. Peter's gate and each has to select one of two "lots" to get into heaven. St. Peter (you) fold a plain piece of rectangular paper and tear it into two sections-one larger than the other. Of course, Mike (the greedy one) grabs the larger of the two first. You take it back, tear it in half and open out the pieces-they clearly and amazingly spell out the word "HELL." Pat opens up his little piece and it is the Christian cross, his "ticket" into heaven. Cost for the effect: the price of a piece of paper.

Another good effect that easily lends itself to a "message": Cut & Restored Rope. There's the old (but extremely clever) restored string trick that is a joy to perform and teach. Restoring broken souls seems a natural patter approach, although I'd prefer the "strength of Samson" and do it the way Henning Nelms suggested in his excellent Magic and Showmanship.
Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
chrismatt
Thanks, I hadn't thought of the paper fold, but you're right, it's just the type stuff I need. I haven't heard the way you suggest, but it sounds good. I've heard it done with a pilot and copilot using a paper airplane fold, and a Sea Captan and first mate using a paper boat fold. I am partial to the paper boat fold, but forgot how to do it, so if anybody remembers it, or knows of a place where I can find it let me know.

Also, chrismatt, if you could give a little more specific instructions on the fold of yours, I'd appreciate it.

chrismatt, you also mentioned;

"Another good effect that easily lends itself to a "message": Cut & Restored Rope. There's the old (but extremely clever) restored string trick that is a joy to perform and teach. Restoring broken souls seems a natural patter approach, although I'd prefer the "strength of Samson" and do it the way Henning Nelms suggested in his excellent Magic and Showmanship."

I know a couple of cut and restored rope tricks. However I am not familiar with any of the other things you mentioned, but they sound real good, if you could elaborate on them, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks for all the good ideas, things are starting to come together, but I can always use more Smile ideas.

Thanks again
Steve Smile
zzz
jcmagic
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
16 Posts

Profile of jcmagic
The cut and restored rope trick is good.

Also, the chain escape can be played up big for an audience if you are good at acting and make it look really difficult.

Shout out to you, Steve. I'm the one that has the cd-rom on ebay for sale. Thanks for introducing me to this site --it's great.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1515 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Hi Steve,
I basically do a number of gospel tricks at my regular birthday parties. Almost all of them are inexpensive (always a good thing Smile

1. Cut and restored rope (already mentioned)
2. Color Changing Decks (2 deck version)
I talk about following the leader and who we as Christians should follow.
3. Magic Traffic Light (I can't think of the actual name) It has a red, green, and yellow light on one card, and the green card leaves and goes over to the blank card. I tell about the Great Commission and how Jesus says to GO and tell people about Him.
4. Impromptu rising card-Jesus rising from the grave, etc...
5. One of my favorites is a three rope to single rope trick, which is a jaw dropper that always gets a great reaction. The Trinity is the obvious plot.

Anyway, hope everything goes great for you.
God Bless,
Chad C.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
JC,

Thanks again for the ideas, and I will be getting that CD you made. It sounds like something I'll be able to use a lot. Can't wait to view it. Smile

Chad,
Thanks for the ideas. I have never used Card magic before, but have started to get interested in it.

Thank you for the ideas. They sound good, but could you expand on them a little. For some reason cards and gospel tricks never seemed to match up for me, but I am eager to learn.

Thanks again, and welcome to the Café.

Steve Smile
zzz

Well guys the teach-in was Saturday. It went great, instead of being scared, I was confident and ready, and I couldn't have done it without your help. I had a blast, and can't wait for a chance to do it again. Thanks, your help and support, as always, was much appreciated.
Sincerely
Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Help! I need simple Teach-in ideas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL