The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bisection By: Andrew Mayne » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
503 Posts

Profile of Corey K
Say Rey, you wouldn't have a spare $40 now, would you?

Just kidding! What a guy...
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Rey Rey if you are feeling in a good mood do you have a spare $399 I need one of those self bending spoon real real bad.
Thanks buddy!
Smile
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I just recieved about 30 emails and many many pm's some were from the same person...

Please do not ever pm me more than once on the same issue...that was just ridiculous!

The above offer was only to MGHIA as a way to reconcile the issue!

No one else will be offered this FREE Deal UNDERSTAND you crazy people?

I guess this was my fault and I shall be more cautious with my graciousness in the future! Smile
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
I admire your sense of responsibility Rey Rey, a lesson to all of us.

All the best,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Thank you Logan for the nice comments...most appreciated!

FOlks? Mark Ghia and myself have come to an agreement and we have reconciled the issue with a fair deal for both sides....

I am going to recieve the manuscript for "Bisection" from Andrew Mayne, post my honest non-biased review of the bit o' business.......

The review was the original idea behind this thread so I shall accommodate the query....

p.s. Please check out MGHIA's website...it has some interesting alchemic magic ideas for anyone desiring to put a twist on their presentations....

Very keen indeed!@ "Can I say Keen and still not be considered a Square?"

By best regards to both sides of this issue...Most respectfully submitted,
I'm outta here!
R2
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
I was only joking Rey Rey, I can bend normal spoon anyway. Smile I look forward to your review as this trick looks interesting. As for the people who sent multiple PM's to Rey Rey, are you mad? My post was in jest.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Gracy_hm
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
195 Posts

Profile of Gracy_hm
Ok, I understand you feel he was being rude. I highly doubt that ,but have no problem with it. What I do have a problem with is you did not address a message of this nature to Andrew before posting on a message board.

Take care,
Kyle
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Kyle, I DID address to Andrew with a follow up and his response was even worse so I posted.
mg
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5358 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Hey Brother ReyRey,

I am so looking forward to your review of this illusion. I tend to like Andy’s thinking. I have seen some pros take and build an idea or two of his and use it as the central illusion to their acts.

I think that the animated gif at his website is fairly clear in illustrating what the illusion is. The top half of a person vanishes after being covered by a drape of some kind. I honestly don’t understand all the quibbling about the description and the animated gif. It seems very straightforward.

The ad copy on his web site states, ”At any time during your show make half your body disappear in a fraction of a second. Just as quickly as your body vanished, it returns.” The animated gif shows the top part of the body (head, arms, chest) vanishing after being covered by a topcoat. What is missing? What is not to understand?

I am looking forward to ReyRey’s review.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dominique
View Profile
New user
Paris (France)
47 Posts

Profile of Dominique
To me, the effect of bisection is pretty clear. Of course, a GIF isn't worth a video, editing of all the smooth of the moves (there's in my opinion much more problem to understand Andrew's Pocket Sawing-in-Half watching indeed a real poor GIF this time: http://www.weirdthings.com/sawing.html )
Your review, ReyRey, is expected for sure.
Cordially,
Dominique
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I am headed back to Phoenix this coming Friday so please give me a little bit O' time my Brothers/Sisters in Magic!

I too am looking forward to recieving my manuscript from Andy!

I am going to pass along the manuscript to Steve Brooks for his review as well.

Let us remember that in any presentations you must give your audiences the preparatory command or the convincer before springing any effect on your groups......Merely cutting to the chase leads to only a chase....

p.s. I have just finished the book, "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho (non magic).

Two huge thumbs up for anyone wishing to put meaning into your presentations....

"A story about the most magical of all journeys: the quest to to fulfill your destiny. A way to passionately commit yourself to claim the life of your dreams" Anthony Robbins (recommendation selection).

See you soon!
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I'm not sure how the illusion is supposed to play, but I find it incredibly funny to look at. It's like some sort of surreal visual gag. I laughed the upper part of my body off.

"There's, in my opinion, much more problem to understand Andrew's Pocket Sawing-in-Half watching indeed a real poor GIF this time"

I looked at the GIF. The effect is apparently that you lean forward. Hope that helps.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Gracy_hm
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
195 Posts

Profile of Gracy_hm
Once again, I doubt Andrew's intentions were to be rude, but in any case, thank you for clearing that up. I am happy to hear you did write him back first.

Take care,
Kyle
Vincenzo
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
202 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
The pocket sawing in half gif is terrible. It does not do the effect justice. It really looks like the top half of your body slides off the bottom half if done right and not like in the gif.
http://www.magiclegends.com/media/mmpocketsawinginhalf2.jpg
The above picture makes it look a little better.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Sorry but even in that photo it still looks obvious what's going on. I'm sure a non-magician would catch on in an instant. Maybe if the person leaned their head back more the illusion would be stronger. I don't know. Still just looks like a guy leaning forward to me. Maybe as a gag. But only maybe.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
I thinks the idea is interestings, but needs to be more well covered. I mean, just imagine, you wear a jacket and you do the same thing.

By looking the picture try to imagine someone with a jacket (that is a bit gimmicked), and this way the illusion will be very clear that you have separated your body in two parts, due of the bottom of the jacket that will appear in the bottom front part on the board !!!

This will really create the illusion of two separate parts. Psychologicaly, the simplicity of the method will be more covered if the brain recorded this little visual jacket convincer.

Food for thought at least. I hope my idea is clear. If not, contact me by PM. I will try to explain better.Smile

Humbly

KUFFS

http://www.psychomagie.com
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Okay, first of all, I believe what is being said is that a product cannot truly be seen on an animated gif. Photo editing is normally done on gifs so it's not a true measuring stick for an effect. I also would like a review of this. I will be recieving it in my shop in the next couple days so I will post a review then. I am a firm believer however in reviewing a product only after performing it for laypeople. Many times have I read an effect, instructions, practiced, and loved it only to show it to laymen and get no reaction for it. The reverse is also true. On the same note, FYI, I really appreciate in videos how they put real life performances in there, better than in a studio with only a camera man, or a studio audience that could be anyone. I think the trick should be reviewed by the genuine reaction of a layperson. By layperson I don't necessarily mean to magic, but a layperson to that effect. At any rate, I will review this when I get it and perform it.

As far as Andrew Mayne's comments posted before, I do agree that they were uncalled for and he seemed like he did not wish to help at all. A response could have been that the gif is all that is available at this time, which would have been to the point as well. His sharpness may be due to the number of emails he receives talking about the gif. This however is not an excuse, but could be a reason.

Owner
Fort Myers Magic
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
I, for one, would like to inform you all that his gif of Bisection is EXACTLY what it looks like in real life. On top of owning the booklet, Andrew Mayne would never, ever put up a gif that didn't look like his actual effect. He is trying to show what the illusion looks like, and he did. Listening to Andrew on the Magic Radio Show, I know that he would never try to boost sales through photo editing. He gives you exactly what he shows. Also, I know he is one of the most creative thinkers and has a method that is so simple, it will blow anyone away. If you want a really strong, strong effect, purchase Bisection at http://www.weirdthings.com. Smile
eddiekap1
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of eddiekap1
I agree with bumble. The .gif is exaclty what the effect looks like when performed. It is incredible, and Andrew Mayne is a creative genius. I got my copy on Friday Jan. 31st, 2003. The gif and explanation are exactly what happens during the effect. It's not hyped up like many other effects that are sold. Anyone who can't figure the effect out from looking at the gif and reading the explanation is truly limiting his/her ability to think creatively. Andrew Mayne is one of a few who is trying to create a new era of illusions. I'd rather have this than a big box with a lady painted on the front. Bisection is the definition of illusion. Andrew deserves much more credit than he is getting. I would have bought this effect at $30, it is that good!!! Smile
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Just remember bumbleface, I do not know Andrew or know his character. More website owners should always assume that people do know the quality of product or character.
There is just too much stuff being popped out to sell to hungry magicians hoping to buy a miracle for $15.
Others have agreed that a GIF is not the true measure of how an effect looks in public. And when someone asks them for further clarification they should be NICE about it even if they figured they did the best job on the web page as they could.

Frankly it matters what the potential customer thinks not what the salesman believes.

For all of you who chimed in that the GIF make it clear what the effect was, you missed the point. It does not show you enough to know how it LOOKS.

Ask yourself how many times the trick you purchased really was not as written in the copy? Oh sure, you can always go back and see how the copy claims match up, but you can also see how the trick was hardly the practical effect as you read it.

It is no different for an edited gif image. There is too much that can be left out that might make an effect too obvious or more of a gag and yes, even a great trick.

BUT he can not assume I know the guy, his character or his products. The second response he sent me he was bragging about some radio show and how much he is liked and respected. I still to this day do not know what show or how that made any difference to how he responded to me.

One of the first things you learn in essay writing is to assume the reader has no idea what you are talking about.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bisection By: Andrew Mayne » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL