The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » The Barfly Billet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1766 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Whilst doing my weekly browse of Mentalism items on ebay I cam across this item at a lovely cheap no-risk price of $12.50. It seems "new billet techniques" or "new center tear" are trigger phrases that activate a "must buy" repsonse from me and I couldn't resist getting hold of it.

And I am mightily glad I did. The tear itself is kind of a hybrid of two other techniques but in and of itself it stands very well - the author, Charles Affholter, admits this similarity to ohter tears up front. I have tried it out a few times and I like it a lot - I don't know if it will be THE tear for me but I shall play with it some more and decide.

However the tear is not the only item in the book. There's a terrific section on why to use a tear which made me think about things in a way I had never considered and there's also a cracking good routine very much worthy of study.

The tear, the routine and the thinking behind using tears as opposed to peeks are all singularly worth the price of admission - together in one ebook it's an absolute bargain.

Best,

David.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
David, Deepest thanks for the extraordinarily kind words. A note to the self-appointed ethics committee on the Café: there is a similarity to two other techniques, one intentional, one a case of independent development, but I did secure permission from all associated parties before publishing the move.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1766 Posts

Profile of David Numen
No problem Charles, and he is quite right - I omitted to mention that Charles obtained permission from the other parties to publish the move. A rare and wonderfully gentlemanly act in this day and age of rehashed material.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
This is also available from lulu.com. On ebay, you have to wait for me to send you the manuscript, whereas at lulu it is an instant download.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
The Barfly Billet Test is one of the slickest, most elegant Psychic effects I think I have ever read. Lean, mean and clean, it allows the spectator to use their own intuition successfully, while at the same time allowing the Psychic to pick up impressions effectively and name names! If you like to work a tad strong, this will be right up your alley, this one will get you salivating!

This download is 24 pages long, very well done, clean and clear text and plenty of clear pix showing you what to do and how to do it. Within the download, you will received the skinny on Charles’ Center Tear, a clean and easy-to-learn combo of moves he’s worked out. Like I said, this method is clearly explained and most easy to learn. If you are on the hunt for a new and easy Peek/Tear, this one will satisfy you nicely. At this price, you can hardly go wrong: $12.50!

I can count at least three times that this Mss. is worth the loot to me: His new take on the tear alone is worth the $12.50 easily. I don’t know of ANY instructions on the Peek/Tear available anywhere that you could get for a $12 buy-in. There are also, buried within the text of the Mss, some hot tips and hints, subtleties that were worth more than the purchase price for me. That’s the second value. Now, the value of these tips will depend on whether you’ve already gleaned these tips from Life or not, but I hadn’t, and they were worth strong loot to me! So: 3 times the price: The tear is worth $12.50, the tips worth $12.50 and that slick psychic routine he offers is also worth a lot more than his asking price.

Charles states that this is 1) His first offering to the Mentalism community, and 2) the first of 3 proposed manuscripts if the response to this one makes it worth his while. Dibs on First In Line for the other ones! He includes the first part of an essay that will be part of the second Mss...and reveals himself to be one of those rarest of Mentalism creatures: a humorist. And one with insight and intelligence, it seems.

Very nice first showing from a slick pro. At $12.50, my advice would be to Hie Thee to Lulu and slap some loot down on this very good eBook. Here's one that's worth the money.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Tom, I am deeply humbled by your kind words. Being familiar with your own work on the Think Pink tear, where, I will say, you reveal yourself to be a first rate mind in the field, yours is a compliment I value greatly.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1766 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I went to the beach today with friends. I should have been relaxing and enjoying myself and thinking about a pretty major decision lying ahead of me. Whilst I did all of those things to a certain extent, ever present in my mind was the Barfly tear and routine - I just can't stop thinking about both!
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
As I wrote to Tom earlier, to know that my little ouevre has given one furiously to think, to paraphrase Dame Agatha, is as satisfying a success as any fiscal gain.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Tom sent me a tip on the index Card Tear yesterday, and I was pleased, not least because I had tried a similar idea some months before but could never get it to work as I wanted to. Tom has provided a bug-free version and I am thrilled. It makes the tear much smoother at a very critical point. I had allready planned to send out a few notes on the barfly billet, presentational tips, etc, and Tom has graciuously allowed me to include his marvelous idea. If you don't have the barfly billet test, go to ebay or lulu.com and get it to take advantage of Tom's great thinking.
Crippen
View Profile
New user
Washington, D.C.
79 Posts

Profile of Crippen
JohnWells,

You lost me on how buying Barfly Billet today will let us take advantage of Tom's great thinking. Will those of who've already bought the e-book receive an update with Tom's idea from yesterday? Regardless, I am really enjoying the work.

Saludos,

John
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Mea Culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Forgive the lack of clarity. Yes, all purchasers to date will receive the notes (once they are typed up)which will be later this week. And I'm thrilled you are enjoying it.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
One other point of clarification. While I had tried something similar to Tom's addition to the Index Card Tear during the formative stages, Tom discovered a much better method on his own. The post I wrote yesterday seemed, on second reading, to suggest that he got an idea from me and reworked it, which is not the case. Mr. Jorgensen's ingenuity gets all the credit for this one.

So again, all purchasers to date will receive the notes after they are typed.
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
All:

I purchased this after reading the above endorsements and am NOT sorry. I agree that this is an excellent purchase, EVEN if you have "a favorite method".
And there were only a couple of typos ... those who know me know that typos are a pet peeve of mine.

I'm looking forward to Tom Jorgenson's update as well as future releases from John Wells.

It seems like there is a lot of excellent billet and/or p**k stuff coming out lately. Hope the newbies only learn from this stuff and not muck it up ;-)

Just a recommendation, John, would you add a cover page with your name and such on it? A few years from now if I come across my printout, I'll forget who wrote the manuscript.

Dave Birtwell
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
David, thank you for the kind words. One day I'll get indistrious and add a cover and correct a few errors I missed in the several proofreads. I hope to have the notes sent out on Friday.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
The notes are done. Ebay purchasers, they will appear in your inbox. Lulu purchasers, please send me a private message containing your email address and the answers to the following questions:

1. Who was the photographer?

2. What are two websites mentioned in the manuscript?

3. How many Chinese restaurants are there in my home town?

I will get the notes out to you as soon as I can after receiving your PM, within 24 hours.

July 2007, be on the lookout for the second installment of the barfly's trio, "A guy walks into a bar...(A Complete Mentalism Act - for less than the price of this manuscript)".
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I'm going to open this in Inner Thoughts so we can talk.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
As I am not a member of the inner thoughts forum, I would greatly appreciate some kind informant keeping me abreast of the discussion.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Greetings all. I labor apace on the second installment of the barfly trilogy, "A guy walks into a bar...(A complete mentalism act-for less than the price of this manuscript)". An excerpt from this upcoming release, next month I hope, was included in "The Barfly's Billet Test", and I thought I'd throw out another brief sample, to get your thoughts, criticisms, etc. Submitted for your aproval:

What precisely is the difference between magic and mentalism? Both use trickery to approximate happenings outside the realm of that which is assumed as possible. (A related question, though to my mind, far less important, is the distinction between mentalism and mental magic, a matter touched upon in my previous, more pedestrian work. The distinction, a choice between "how did you do that?" and "have you always had these abilities?", is, ultimately, determined by your answer to the question at hand.) My thesis, the central integrating motif of my performancev philosophy, to borrow a term from theology, is that magic (and by extension, mental magic) entails a suspension of disbelief on the part of the spectators, whereas mentalism requires active investiture of belief in the performer's abilities (psychic abilities, not sleight of hand abilities) by the spectators. I have made this observation before, but the more I consider this very simple corollary, the more I become convinced of its far-reaching implications. In a sense, a performance of magic is a theater piece with one participant an actor playing the role of a magician and the others impromptu actors portraying believers in magic itself. The spectators know the real magic is in the performers skill (as they believe in a mentalism performance as I envision it), but pretend to believe in real magic, magic seperate in some sense from the performer. Mentalism, on the other hand, is a theater piece in which the performer is the only actor aware of the charade. The spectators become characters unaware of their author, portraying themselves in a drama scripted, directed, and produced by the mentalist. It is the ultimate crossing over the footlights. The power of drama is best realised when the observers lose themselves in artificial reality. That escape and the catharsis it can provide is the real magic of mentalism.

Please let me know what you think. JW
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2069 Posts

Profile of gabelson
JW, your post is incredibly perceptive, IMHO. Your distinction between the dynamic of mentalism and magic, and the relationship of performer / audience is fascinating.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » The Barfly Billet (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL