The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » How to get tips when making balloon animals? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

briann
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of briann
I really need help with this, how do I ask for a tip? or do I even ask? I'm completely clueless...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Set up a tip acceptance device with the word "Tips $" on it.
briann
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of briann
Well I got that far, but what are somethings that make people want to give you tips? besides great magic and good balloons. (this toipic is pretty important to me because I plan on working for tips for extra money)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Unlike table side magic people who have kids that know about balloons know the balloon maker is looking to get tipped. I'm not around places that do it but when I am it usually runs a buck a balloon. You can also go to TMyers and get Tips Accepted buttons and stuff like that. I think it was Mark Byrne who actually has a garter on his arm with bills in it, making it pretty clear what is expected.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I forgot. If given change get it out of view, you want people to think bills. Another thing, say thank you and be friendly and if a kid comes up and doesn't have a nickle on him STILL make him a balloon and be nice about it. I've done balloons w/out expecting or soliciting tips and most still wanted to pay something.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
People will tip you not only for the balloon sculpture they receive - but for the entertainment you provided them while you were making it.

One is well advised to have an arsenal of jokes, one liners, and bits of business to perform along with the actual sculpting of the balloon.

To tweak a movie quote - "Entertain them and the tips will come!"

Lyndel
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
The best way to understand how tipping works is to be in a tipping job first; Waiter, Bartender or any service industry.

You assume people will tip so they do. You may give them clues like the arm garter I wear. A tipping button is another. I would stay away from rude tipping button such as "Tipping is not a city in China"

This one is cute: http://www.cafepress.com/buy/humor+coffe......_/c_360/

My procedure at a restaurant table is this:
Last kid balloon made and put on head.
"Anyone else like a balloon?" signal finale

"Great well thank you very much for coming in today, I am here ever Saturday and Sunday morning, I also do many private parties throughout the area with magic & balloon for families and adults. If you get a chance come on back to see me on Sunday & thank you for dining here at Lenny's"

As I say this I am reaching for a business card folding it in half and placing on their check with the same arm that the garter is with the large bills in it.

If they are not reaching for their wallet by then I turn and go to the next table. If they are reaching I wait and say thank you. Placing the money in my pocket without looking.

Usually people will follow me to the next table with a tip, which sets up the next table as to what is expected.

And if they don't tip ... SO WHAT. Hopefully you’re paid well enough from the restaurant. Usually things even out, some will tip you really well and others won't. Just stay nice and positive. Don't count you money till you leave the place.

My best tip? $50 and I didn’t even make them a balloon and it was in a fast food restaurant. Go figure!!

Mark Byrne
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've found with balloons that the parents often send the kid with the tip, kind of a way to teach 'em how to tip and all that good stuff. Mark, I'm ordering the new DVD tomorrow!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4436 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
ANy one work for tips in the UK? We seem to be "anti tiping" over here ... not sure how to go about it really .....

Or do some poepl just cahrge for a balloon?
Patriot
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Patriot
A tip is a compliment earned, not an obligation to be cajoled. If you entertain and provide knock-em-dead service, the tips will come unsolicited from all but the sincerest tightwad. If you merely make a balloon and give it away - you don't deserve the tip; You've provided no service. My opinion and experience.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2007-06-13 04:50, dave_matkin wrote:
ANy one work for tips in the UK? We seem to be "anti tiping" over here ... not sure how to go about it really .....

Or do some poepl just cahrge for a balloon?

Tonight I got money out of an Irish, an English and a Scottish families. Maybe I should make a How to get Tipped DVD.

If you want to get tipped you need bling or a shill. Try wearing one of those rapper gold chains with a pound symbol on it OR a button like a suggested.

Mark Byrne

BTW Dave I know you work with the Dyslexic and your heart lies there, But If you go to your edit menu there might be a function called check spelling as I type. Then again it might be just for the privileged few on MAC.
I love your posts once I decipher them : )
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
Sign on tip jar for guest musicians at our local coffee house: Tipping. Its not just for cows anymore!"
Probably a little rude along the lines of the city in China thing but it makes me laugh. I often wear a tshirt that says Tips Welcome. It works pretty good.

Sammy the Kid
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4436 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I actually like the cow one .... its funny! But again cow tippingis not big over here!

Oh an just for Mark I used my spell chequer on this piece of electronic male.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4436 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Anyone know of places to get the badges from in the UK? Or how long do they take to ship to the UK from USA? I have a gig on Saturday at a football match (sorry soccer) and whilst I am being paid a little I would not say no to some tips. A badge would be subtle!
Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
When I was starting out I had the same problem. My fellow balloon artists gave me some good advice which I pass on to you. These ideas helped me go from an almost no tips to getting upwards of $100 a night on a good night.

1. Pin some money, a five and a one, to your balloon pouch in an obvious place. The money shows that you accept tips the denominations say to the table that yes you will gladly take a one dollar tip but you will also take a five. Buttons and T-shirts are ok but the money is an obvious and less obnoxious way of saying “pay me, please”

2. Always make your balloons at the table with the adults there. Don’t let a line of children form at the front door and don’t make balloons for families that are sitting at the front. If a child comes to you steer them back to their table and get the parents permission.

3. Don’t be afraid to make your good stuff at the restaurant. It may take a little more time but it will pay off in tips and parties booked. It is also ok to not make the hardest thing when that would mean not getting to the other tables

4. Tell yourself every time that someone gives you a dollar for a table full of balloons that very soon someone is going to give you a ten spot for a one balloon dog. It all comes out right at the end.

5. If someone asks how much it costs say something funny like “$200” then follow up quickly with “No really. I don’t charge anything, but I am allowed to accept tips.” The funny with the serious lets the parent with only a couple dollars but two kids who have been watching you all night know that everything will be ok. I also follow this up with “After I make you folks some balloons I’m going to give you my card, I hope you consider using me for your next party…”

6. Always leave your card, the card for the tip is an easy exchange for most. If your cards are right next to your pinned money they will see you go for the card and are reminded to tip you.

7. You are only allowed to make one balloon per person (unless the parent is actively handing large amounts of money to you). This is a little known rule that if tossed off correctly makes it seem as though this is being imposed upon you. “I would love to make your child five balloon sculptures that each take three minutes for the one dollar bill you told your child to give me when I walked up to the table, but the restaurant has this rule…” (Don’t actually say this)

8. There are no balloons made for invisible people (little sister at home sick is the only exception).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » How to get tips when making balloon animals? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL