The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Loops question? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tenn_ray
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of tenn_ray
Hi everybody, Ok, what are loops? What can they do, and are they worth it for someone with high beginners skill to try or do I need to wait a while? I tried running a search but I can't find anything to tell me just what a loop is. Thanks in advance.

Ray
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
It is a loop of invisivle elastic thread.
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
Loops are awesome! you don't need any skill to make mericals happen with then. I highly recomend them!
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
You do need skill.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Or perhaps more accurately... practice.
The cool thing about loops is that they are a little difficult to get used to and many give up on using them because of this. Smile
So be prepared to get frustrated and break a lot of them as you start to practice some effects with them. There is a good book called "Animated Miracles" and a few videos/dvd's that teach some routines using loops.
I personally never got into invisible thread or reels etc but when I became exposed to loops, I thought they seemed more practical and the effects that could be done seemed very magical so I went that route. I now perform a few effects fairly well and with confidence using them and my sensitivity to them is much greater than when I first got started with them.
Hope this helps and good luck.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
Please don't be led into the belief that there's no skill or practice required for loops, or any other aspects of magic for that matter. A lot of the marketing adverts used can be very misleading.

GlenD is right, be prepared to get frustrated at first when you first deal with them because it's going to take quite some time getting used to them and manipulating them in the way you want it to be.
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
827 Posts

Profile of nique
They look awfully obvious on my wrist.
And with effects happening so close to them, it just freaks me out.
An issue for anyone?
"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction"

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

PM or email me for details:

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/

www.niquetan.com
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Was for me as well at first. I couldn't muster up the courage to do anything utilizing loops for a close up audience. it ****ed me off greatly because I loved the loops but beeing not able to use them was just sad... after a while, seeing that I don't use them, I thought to myself, I will go out and use them and if anyone spots them - no big deal as I don't use them anyway. so I did and still do and suprizingly I was never caught.
just stop caring for a bit and it will be worth it Smile

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I just started messing around with the loops and they're awesome...a thousand times more practical than plain old IT. You've just got to watch your lighting. I don't worry too much about getting caught because I keep the spectator in the dark about what's going to happen until it actually does, that way they don't know what to look for.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
JohnWolf
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of JohnWolf
It will suprise you. What may seem ovious to you and visiable to you will go unnoticed. I have just started using silk worm clear and while more streachy and some what more breakable it is much more invisable.
John
DocEdward
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of DocEdward
Loops are fantastic, but can be very frustrating when you begin. Don't give up, continued practice will improve your usage of them. And as John Wolf said above, you will be surprised at how much you can get away with using them. But you have to train your eyes not to look at them in order for that to work.
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Loops are so fun. I was in a restaurant the other day and levitated a business card.
Nothing big, just held the card at my fingertips, let go of it for about 2 seconds then grabbed it again and came away clean.

I keep one on my wrist and a spare at my elbow.

Now that it's summer, I wonder what we can do if we wear them on our ankles?
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
OK - don't want to sound like an old fuddy-duddy, but I'm going to.

Forget the gaffs and gimmicks if you are a beginner. Yes, loops are cool and so are a lot of other things. Yes, they are easy to use, but they are also very easy to get wrong if you don't have the magical grounding.

Learn your sleights and your handlings until you are so bored with them you can do them in your sleep. THEN start adding gimmicks as and when you need them.

I bought a lot of 'out of the box' miracles when I first started out in magic. Some were excellent and some were complete rubbish. The trouble is I didn't have the experience to tell the difference. I wasted a lot of time, money and effort on gimmicks and gaffs in those early days and I sincerely regret not putting that time and effort in to studying technique.

Now, before anyone jumps on my back and starts saying that there is nothing wrong with props, gaffs, gimmicks, whatever, I already know. Any magician that says they don't use anything like that is a liar or a very, very, very dull magician; but you learn to ride your bike before you take it over the ramps, right?

Good luck with loops, they are cool, but a lot of the effects you use them for you can do with sleights.
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
To gimmick or not to gimmick, that is the question...
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
"To gimmick or not to gimmick?" is actually a very good question. There are many sleights that can be easily recreated using gimmicks, but do they replace the skill and practice that goes in to the sleight?

This is probably a whole topic on it's own that a lot of the posters would get quite hot under the colllar over.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi,

Look for Finn Jon Loops. You can find at http://www.stevensmagic.com

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Can someone point me to the "non-gimmicked" source for performing a floating ring or floating card effect?
I would really appreciate that.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
There is a floating card trick using a borrowed deck and wax in one of my books but I cant remember which one - I'll have a look and get back to you.

I think a non-gimmick impromtu floating ring would be in the realms of Harry Potter magic, but I am eager to be proved wrong.
tenn_ray
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of tenn_ray
Thanks for the advice everybody. Just a follow-up, I read a lot about breaking loops, can loops be tied back or would it be better to get thread and tie my own. (I was the pioneering guru in my boy scout troop back in the day). I know my follow-up is kind of late, I've got a new grandson. Thanks again,

Ray
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Definitely tie your own. At 2$ a loop, you will be much less prone to experiment.
You can buy Silk Worm thread for under $15, and using a technique called the Million Dollar Knot, you can tie a loop in about 10 seconds.

I wouldn't bother trying to repair a broken loop. I have a couple of dozen made up and sitting on notched index cards.

I broke one yesterday, and had a spare around my elbow.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Loops question? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL