The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Signed card to wallet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
scottthegreat
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of scottthegreat
Any good signed card to wallet dvd pr books out there. Im looking for one. Also can you use a standard wallet or do you have to buy a gimmik one

Scott
BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Aiea, Hawaii
244 Posts

Profile of BWind
Scottthegreat,
Instead of spending a lot of money on a gimmicked wallet, try learning the skills to perform a "Card to Pocket" effect; A good reference and starting point might be Francis Carlyle's "Homing Card" found in the book "Stars of Magic", currently available as a reprint from Robbins Magic; The book is inexpensive at about $20.00; Also included in the book are several other classic magic effects; The Carlyle trick should help you gain the ability to eventually accomplish card to wallet;
BWind
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
To partly answer the question - I don't know of any way to do a card to wallet without using a special wallet.
I'm sure someone has a way, but I don't know of one.
DanielSkahen
View Profile
New user
NY
63 Posts

Profile of DanielSkahen
You'll probably get a lot more out of a search than this thread, but I carry with me the Triple Threat wallet which, compared to the two other gimmicked wallets I have owned, is extraordinary. I can't imagine anything that tops it, but my perspective is limited to the three I have owned.
- Dan Skahen
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Sure, but the problem with care-to-wallet searches is Scott will get a LOT more. There are huge loads of info on wallets in the Café. And that's wonderful if one has a lot of time to go through all the hits one will receive from such a search.

Scott, if you want your card to appear in a special compartment of the wallet, then you'll have to spring for a gimmicked card-to-wallet wallet. One way around it is to have an inside-suitcoat-pocket-style wallet that can fit envelopes, and do Paul LePaul's card to envelope. The first thing to do is buy The Card Magic of Paul LePaul to find out how it's done, then find a number of different sized envelopes you may want to use, then scour the leathershops/travel shops/businessman giftshops for a wallet that will fit a small bundle of envelopes.

Good luck,
Bill
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
In over 4 million i've made
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
Jerry Mentzers book - Card to Wallet?
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
On top of what Shakey says, check out the Fulves book on Self-working card tricks; in "My Best...", there's a card to wallet which I've never seen performed, but is very workable and different from many other methods.
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
Well for me, I've only used my gimmicked wallet. I ended up buying mine through penguin magic. It's served me exceptionally well. I use it everyday as an average wallet as well. It's been perfect. Personally I wouldn't bother learning how to do it without a gimmicked one. I think with a gimmicked one you could probably make that effect so much stronger. Mine vanishes in a person's hands, and then appears inside a clear plastic cover, inside a zippered compartment in my wallet. Some of that is added in myself (just the plastic cover) however it's such a strong effect that happens in seconds.

I suppose this situation is almost like a straightjacket. Some prefer gimmicked ones and others don't. It just matters if someone is going to check it out afterwards.

Fraser
I want to go far...
Robmonster
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of Robmonster
One of the Ammar Easy To Master Card Miracles volumes has a torn and restored card to wallet effect. I know it's not quite what you are looking for, but it's pretty easy.

I think its volume 4 or 5.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I was reading up on different wallets here a few weeks back, planning to buy one for loading purposes. Not especially cheap, the ones that people recommend the most. Also difficult to decide which one to get.

While I was looking into this it ocurred to me that hardly anybody my age (just under 40) or younger use a wallet here in Norway. If they do it's a little roll type thing which is smaller than a playing card.

It would all seem very suspicious I thought. Better perhaps to just palm and produce from somewhere else. Or to apply the loading principle to something else. Not that I have any brilliant ideas at this point besides a mere loose card in pocket.

A card to walled it s great effect to watch in any case. I might still get a nice loading wallet eventually.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Card to wallet is a good trick - yet you can achieve similiar results with a card to (sealed) envelope.
Cards never lie
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Even I can afford envelopes. That's something I will have to look into.

Anyone remember the name and size of those narrow light brown ones I have seen magicians use? They don't exist here but I'm sure they can be found online.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
The gimmicked wallet I use is the Hip Pocket Mullica Wallet. It works great, and people really like it. It's the only card to wallet I have, but is very good.

John
blackartman
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of blackartman
NOTHING CAN COMPARE TO DARWIN ORTIZ'S DREAM CARD!!!!!
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
Mix 'n' Mingle DVD by Shaun McCree has a feindishly simple card to wallet trick plus loads of other walkaround routines.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
A double backer allows you to make a signed card appear just about anywhere. Non-magicians won't know the difference between a gimmicked wallet version or a sleight of hand version. Card to wallet with a double backer is easy to pull off and more impossible in my opinion. The wallet can be on the table before you even pull out your deck of cards.

Just my 2 cents.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
In over 4 million i've made
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
For a signed card to envelope - check out John Bannons 'Heart of the City'
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I have used just about every type of card to wallet know and even invented a once popular version called Grand Slam Wallet. The Jerry Mentzer book The Card in Wallet Book at $39.95 is a tremendous bargain and highly recommended.

For walk around work I have performed the classic Mullica Wallet also a Mentzer item more times than I can count and can again highly recommend it. But, for a finally routine there are very few routines that can beat the LePaul Card in Wallet in which the signed card appears inside a sealed envelope that is also inside a zippered compartment in the wallet. Yep, takes some skill, but there is a superlative routine by John Mendoza that uses a 'double L' instead of a palm thus eliminating the most generally used excuse for 'not' performing the LePaul or Balducci, etc.

Buying gimmicked Wallets as many others here will attest can be as addictive as buying Chop Cups so watch yourself! Best,
Brad Burt
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-06-25 18:08, Brad Burt wrote:

Buying gimmicked Wallets as many others here will attest can be as addictive as buying Chop Cups so watch yourself!,

Hehe. Yes I did notice the 16 page threads debating every little aspects of this and that wallet. After reading a LOT of opinions and reviews and arguments I'm left with the impression that the only way to know if I should use a Pimpernel Notecase or a Hip Pocket Bombshell or a Tripple Threat or a... is to get them ALL and see for myself.

Which I won't do. So I probably won't get any. I keep returning to wallet threads tho, so inside I probably really want one.

Interestingly, just now I found a brand new unused regular leather wallet at the top of my top desk drawer. Think I got that as a gift maybe 15 years ago. Haven't seen it in at least 10. Nice little Pierre Cardin wallet. Why did it surface just now and make it's way to the top of my top drawer? Spooky.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Dear Noobini:

The 'THING' to keep in mind about Card in Wallet wallets is that they basically only break down into two major groups. The Mullica style group and the LePaul Group. The only difference between a LePaul and Balducci REALLY is that the card ends up in the envelope in the LePaul, but in essence the loading happens pretty much the same. That is, that you will load the wallet before it comes out of the pocket! Note that if you do not want to use the envelope in your LePaul, just leave it out and what you end up with is any other wallet that loads in the pocket and comes out to have the card exposed by unzipping the compartment!

Mullica and it's sibblings all do the load outside the pocket and pretty much in the same manner so any good Mullica or clone thereof will pretty much be the same thing.

The Bendix Bombshell is the only oddity in the bunch and the best routine therewith is in a John Mendoza book. But, for the most part it breaks down as above.

That's the main reason that after spending a ton of money and using everything I could lay my hands on I decided that the original Mullica or the nifty new back pocket style out and a decent LePaul were the wallets that would cover the most of the working conditions that I would encounter.

Again, if you keep in mind that without the envelope ALL other wallets give exactly the same effect....ie Signed card appears in wallet, you can spend you time selecting a wallet of good brand to go with, etc. All best,
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Signed card to wallet (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL