The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Penguin magic in the begining there were coind dvd (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottthegreat
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of scottthegreat
Any one out there have the penguin magic. In the begining there were coins dvd. My magic shop ordered me one. I was wondering how it was. I know a lot of people like Michael Ammar coin magic. To me it seem ou dated a bit. Just my opinion
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Out dated how?
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
I don't think "In The Beginning There Were Coins" is even half as comprehensive as Ammar's coin magic. Take a look at the review on coinvanish.com. Dan Watkins reviews what's covered in each series for Roth(3 Dvds), Stone(2 Dvds) and Ammar(1 DVD). Ammar teaches a lot and is a great companion to Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. I'll rather get Ammar's then Noblezada.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Quote:
On 2007-06-13 10:55, Jlowhy wrote:
... I'll rather get Ammar's then Noblezada.

Very well stated.

Ammar is an excellent teacher. The value in his Complete Introduction to Coin Magic will be very hard to beat.
As far as his coin magic being outdated, I just can't see how coins have changed all that much, or coin magic for that matter.

Be sure and check out the reviews on http://www.coinvanish.com
You might easily be convinced to start with Stone, or Roth, or Ammar. All great choices.
Magic is fun!!!
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Don't forget that nearly everything in magic that looks new isn't. Almost all tricks, whether they be in coins, cards, ropes, etc. can be found in Tarbell or Mark Wilson's books.

Just because something is an old effect to us doesn't mean it won't work on an audience that hasn't seen it before. Even the cups & balls, one of the oldest tricks in the magician's arsenal still has the power to mesmerize lay people.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
I found the Ammar DVD to be a good value and a great introduction to coin magic. It teaches several basic sleights that are much easier to master once you have actually seen someone else do them. The Ammar DVD is also good because it teaches a few effects and some principles of misdirection as well as the sleights themselves. Remember, a sleight is NOT a trick, it's just a tool to use in creating a trick.

I haven't seen the Penguin DVD and so can't comment on it. But the suggestion to get the DVD by Ammar or Roth AND the book "Modern Coin Magic" by J. B. Bobo is a good one. It's a bit harder to learn the same sleights from Bobo's book, but there are lots of great routines there, as well as good information about coin gaffs and coin boxes that will stand you in good stead.

There may be newer, fancier (and tougher) coin sleights around, but the basics will never get outdated. Learn those first and then you will be in a much better position to appreciate and tackle the fancier stuff. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
The Bobo book and Expert Coin Magic are must-reads, perhaps before looking into the DVDs.

As far as DVDs are concerned, I'd echo the comments above and say that there are more comprehensive, and probably better-taught instructional recordings than the Penguin one. Considering that David Roth's 3 disc set is now available on one handy compilation DVD in all its splendour, I'd say that that's the best coin DVD investment you could go for.
scottthegreat
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of scottthegreat
Thanks guys I will look into Ammars coin dvd
Scott
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Good decision, Scott. All the best with the learning Smile
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2007-06-12 23:16, scottthegreat wrote:
Any one out there have the penguin magic. In the begining there were coins dvd. My magic shop ordered me one. I was wondering how it was. I know a lot of people like Michael Ammar coin magic. To me it seem ou dated a bit. Just my opinion

The David Roth set would be a good use of you spendable money.
Please tell us some coin magic that is "new" and not "dated" so we know what you mean by your opinion above.

Bob
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
Amar's excellent and certainly not outdated in the least. For me, Bobo is best.
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Quote:

With the exception of Jlowhy, nobody answered the question he asked, but rather, spent their breath trying to convince him of what they believed, despite the fact that the person typing never claimed to have seen the DVD. I see this in a lot of threads here on the Café - the original question never gets answered because the discussion takes a left turn from the direction it was heading, primarily due to everyone wanting to interject their opinion about (what they believe to be) the underlying question.

So to restate the original question - has anyone seen the Penguin Magic's "In the Beginning There Were Coins" DVD, starring Jay Noblezada? If so, how is it? Please review and comment. Thanks!

:rolleyes: Smile Smile
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
shadowfire90
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of shadowfire90
Penguin Magic's "In the Beginning There Were Coins" DVD, starring Jay Noblezada.

I have this DVD. It is easy to follow and I would recommend it to people starting out with coin magic. You will learn allot of basics of coin palms, passes and some more advanced moves by the end of the DVD.
It is kind of set up to start you out with the basics and ease you into more advanced techniques.
This DVD will also teach you some basic vanishes and other tricks.

Good for the beginner. Not sure I would recommend it for a more advanced user though Smile

One more thing as for the outdated statement. Yes Michael Ammar can be a little boring to learn from (he is still a great teacher though with his DVD's and would recommend them any day to anyone wanting to get full blown into coin magic) As for Jay Noblezada, he will probably peak the intrest of a younger crowd out there and may be a little more up beat. (im guessing that is what you meant by 'out-dated')
Start with Jay's DVD .... than look into Ammar for the more advanced teachings Smile
cchapman195
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of cchapman195
[quote]On 2007-06-18 15:02, DaddyDoodle wrote:
Quote:

With the exception of Jlowhy, nobody answered the question he asked, but rather, spent their breath trying to convince him of what they believed, despite the fact that the person typing never claimed to have seen the DVD. I see this in a lot of threads here on the Café - the original question never gets answered because the discussion takes a left turn from the direction it was heading, primarily due to everyone wanting to interject their opinion about (what they believe to be) the underlying question.

So to restate the original question - has anyone seen the Penguin Magic's "In the Beginning There Were Coins" DVD, starring Jay Noblezada? If so, how is it? Please review and comment. Thanks!

I bought this DVD for my ten year old son and it was a great way to teach my son the basics and get him started. Verry easy to understand and learn. If you are a beginner it WILL get you started. It shows a couple of routines to link the different sleights together that with some practice it wont take long before you can go out and perform YOUR magic in front of people. Remember to make it yours. Put the effects into an order that you can handle and memorize it and do ot the same each time you perform the effects. Learn from Jay but don't copy jay. Make it your own.
After you get comfortable with these effects try checking out Jeff McBrides world class manipulations DVD set. In his videos he will take what you learn from Jay to a whole new level. He shows you how to link effects together to put a great routine in front of an audience. He also gives allot of performing advice that will help allot.
Here's his link: http://www.mcbridemagic.com
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Sweet, thanks guys!! I knew somebody would come to the rescue. Smile
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
421 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
I just wasn't crazy about Noblezada's stuff with the exception of his transposition. It seemed watered down. I received this dvd with a collection that I purchased. I am an avid coin guy and find so much more meat in David Roth, Bobo, and David Stone.
Raymagic11
View Profile
New user
Holland
63 Posts

Profile of Raymagic11
I think this kind of dvd`s are o.k if you just want to get into coins, show some stuff to friends etc. However, if you want to get into coins you still have to get yourself a copy of Bobo`s, and have the patience of practicing sleights over and over again.
"A magician has the skill to conceal the skill"
- Paul Wilson
"Magic is driven by emotion and conflict"
- Tommy Wonder
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Outdated is not a term that I would use I describing Ammar's videos. The basics do not change. That is one reason that Bobo is still considered one of the best resources in coin magic after all these years.

As for Jay's video. I have only seen a small part of it but, it would be great for someone looking for the basics. I would probably get Roth's or Ammar's series over it just because they teach much more in their series. If looking at videos, it would not hurt to watch many people teaching the same thing. That way you will be more likely to develope your own style instead of becoming a clone of someone else.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Just because the messenger doesn't impress doesn't mean the message is outdated. Ammar is boring as hell but the message is great. There are some guys that are excellent messengers but they have no message. Rethink your opinion about Ammar again and for that matter Roth. He looks like an old man doing funny coin things but what he teaches is very valuable. The message in essence is what you want so do not get carried away by who delivers it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Penguin magic in the begining there were coind dvd (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL