The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tractare- Latest from Shane of Pentalogy Fame (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
For those who like to keep up with favorite Author's. Shane of Online Visions, Author of Pentalogy And Automata, has this new book out.

Moderators, move or prune this as you deem neccesary, it's about a new book so I thought it made more sense to go here....

It is odd to discuss a book that I am publishing, I mean OBVIOSULY it matters to me if you people this book, AND I only do books or effects that I think have merit or value- but starting this month I decided to write a little first person review of the book, WHY I like it and why I chose to release it.

Shane was new to me- keep in mind I took a 10 year break from magic land, so a LOT of people are new to me. But Shane was known to a dear friend of mine, Ron Dayton, and through Ron we met. Shane overwhelmed me with Pentalogy- in part because it was so BIG but mainly because there was material in there I would actually do. See, I’m picky. I also am a bit odd in my thinking. Shane and I share that in common. Well, as I turned page after page I found effect after effect that I LOVED. So, sure I published that. Then came Automata- the first in three volume set (I found out later) of which Tractare is book number 2. At first I was NOT excited about Automata… Math based self working magic. 21 card trick.. yippee….. Then I got the manuscript! WOW! I gave it the subtitle- "Self Working Magic With A Sense OF Humanity", because THAT knocked my socks off. It WAS self working magic but it had amazing presentations, cool themes, and most of all it HID the self working part of the method. That was also something I loved about Thomas "Henry’s Hidden Numerical Forces."

So, Shane sent me the manuscript for Tractare. I had no clue what to expect, other than I expected I would enjoy it thoroughly! Well, I was amazed.

In Tractare, Shane takes a series of simple effects. Many of which you may know. He starts by sharing the original effect, talking about why he liked or in some cases DISliked the original. Then he starts “Shan-Ifying” it…. He talks about the psychology behind the trick, why it works. He talks about the weaknesses and strengths of it. Sometimes he runs off on tangents (and Oh yeah it sounds JUST like Shane talking… That makes it fun to read- even if sometimes mind spinning) and brings in other effects.

The thing about the material in Tractare is it uses no real sleights. There are some moves, little movements or things one does to make the magic happen, but in some cases they are as simple as turning over a stack of business cards. Yes- THAT little of a move.

Finally, Shane shows you what HE did with it all. Like mixing ingredients together for a cake, (Ever taste vanilla by itself? BLECHA!) the end is MUCH more delightful than the parts. Often the final routine and indeed EFFECT are not recognizable from the original, but ALWAYS Shane weaves a well thought out audience tested plot, with simple magic to leave you with Miracles. I HATE reading the word Miracle in magic descriptions, but that’s all I can call much of his magic.

Each step of the way he tells you what he is thinking and why he made certain choices with regards to mechanics , presentation or otherwise. Shane’s treatise midway through the book on “containers and things” (Read Cups And Balls) is a master class on how to present any routine where a thing ends up under or penetrating a container. Best of all, NO Finger Flinging… I could do this routine.

Bottom line, I published it…. I wouldn’t if I didn’t love it… but WOW.

There is a free sample on our web site....
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tractare- Latest from Shane of Pentalogy Fame (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL