The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Words that are not in the dictionary, but should be. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I am making up a dictionary, but this one, only includes words that are not in the dictionary, but definately should be. It could be a word made up, and try to make it funny.

If you know of such words, let me know.

Thank you in advance.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
As Mark Mason points out, normal people "stick the card out a little bit," while magicians "outjog" the card. Outjog isn't even in the dictionary, we just made it up!

"Framas" is a word that I always felt should be in the dictionary. It stands for any word that you can't recall at that time. You refer to the forgotten world/thing as a "framas."

What about "lasterday?" It means the day before yesterday of course.
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
This was done back in the 80's.... I think they were called "Sniglets". I remember a friend of mine had a book full of them.
Eschew obfuscation
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-06-14 19:09, Bob Gerdes wrote:
This was done back in the 80's.... I think they were called "Sniglets". I remember a friend of mine had a book full of them.

And they were presented by Otis Lee Crenshaw (aka Rich Hall) on SNL.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1471 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
There is a little book called "The Meaning of Liff" by Douglas Adams & John Lloyd that takes place names and gives them meanings. These refer to things that everyone knows exist but there is no word for.

Eg. Botswana, noun: Anything that is more useful for a purpose other than what it was designed for. Eg. a fish knife used to open a stubborn tin of paint is a good example of a botswana.

I think that it's out of print now but if you can get one you will laugh out loud.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Well, there are always the collective nouns like a murder of crows, which is the proper term for a group of crows, or a gaggle of geese...

A Talon of card magicians,

A Nerf of Spongeball magicians

A Thread of Café' Posters

A Shell of Coin Mages

A Blindfold of Mentalists

A Skull of Bizarrists

A Playpen of Children's Mages

A Thud of Jugglers

A Garrotte of Rope Tricksters

A Slip of Escapologists

A Trunk of Illusionsits

A Patter of MC's

Just for openers...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
724 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Wonderful associations, Mr. Darrow!
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Sniglets, by Rich Hall
I believe it was part of Rich Hall's stand up act, then a regular feature on the series NOT NECESSARILY THE NEWS a very well done satirical sketch comedy series that ran on HBO from 1983 to 1990 .

Since then He'd done a couple books, and a board game with the Sniglets title.
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
crocodilewings
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
53 Posts

Profile of crocodilewings
The Meaning of Liff Online.

http://folk.uio.no/alied/TMoL.html
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1036 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Yeah Siglests is from not necessarily the news. funny books as well. I had them when I was a kid. I still use Unacordionated-the inability to refold a map.

But I am not sure this is the kind of stuff the first poster is talking about. Are you talking about making new words? or finding actual words that the dictionary doesn't have. If that is the case get the bigest copy of the Oxford dictionary, and a recent one, usually there are words there you don't find in Webster. Or, are you trying to compile a magictionary. That would be a good idea for newbies who don't' know all the jargin we come up with. Or perhaps its a terrable idea because we want people to learn our speek by reading Tarbell, Greater Magic, Royal Road,13 steps,stars of magic, etc....
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I like two words that describe myself, but they aren't found in the dictionary anywhere. The words are "fantabulous" and since I'm from New York, "Gangsterrific". I think that's it for now, I"m going to go chillax.

Robert Haas
http://www.MagicEnhancer.com
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1471 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Crocodilewings, thanks for the link, I've lost my copy of the book.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
Can be magical or not magical.
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
603 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
Ceratation= when adding milk to a bowl of cereal, the point where the cereal just starts to float...
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I've written a couple of magic related ones for you:

Thumble: A piece of shoddy manipulation done in a hurry after you've vanished a silk then discovered your thumbnail is on the wrong side.

Deprestidigitation: To be brought to the brink of suicide by a seemingly endless performance of manipulation and finger-flinging.

Bentalist: A mentalist holding a fork.

Snippetlet: A short extract from a rope routine.

Overcheesed: To briefly loose faith in humanity after being asked of you can "Make my wife disappear" for the eighth time in one evening.

George
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Downside-up: the wrong way to produce a duck.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17160 Posts

Profile of joseph
DISCONFECT (dis kon fekt') v. To sterilize the piece of candy you dropped on the floor by blowing on it, assuming this will somehow 'remove' all the germs.
ELBONICS (el bon' iks) n. The actions of two people maneuvering for one armrest in a movie theater.
FRUST (frust) n. The small line of debris that refuses to be swept onto the dust pan and keeps backing a person across the room until he finally decides to give up and sweep it under the rug....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Levita-tain-able : having a hot assistant your doing!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17160 Posts

Profile of joseph
LACTOMANGULATION (lak' to man gyu lay' shun) n. Manhandling the "open here" spout on a milk container so badly that one has to resort to the 'illegal' side.

PEPPIER (pehp ee ay') n. The waiter at a fancy restaurant whose sole purpose seems to be walking around asking diners if they want ground pepper.

PHONESIA (fo nee' zhuh) n. The affliction of dialing a phone umber and forgetting whom you were calling just as they answer. ....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Words that are not in the dictionary, but should be. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL