The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Got a chop cup, where to find a routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Hey guys, I recently acquired a don alan stubby chop cup, its great except I don;t know any chop cup routines at all, where might I find a good base routine. what do you recommend
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2683 Posts

Profile of Tom G
If you're up for a dvd there's one just on the chop including Jennings and Don Alan's routine. Both are really solid.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13386 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think john bannon's in Impossibilia is great.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I like Scott Hollingsworth's "Strolling Chop Cup Routine" available from his web site.

Deja vu.....

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
374 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
It is a shame that Impossibilia is just about Impossibilia to get at a decent price.

Nick
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

There are several copies at the local shop here at list
kozmo said dan tong is good I might check that out. I like kozmos vids quite a lot
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Dan Tong is great, but you still can't beat Don Alan's routine. There are several publications, the one I like the best is the one written by Ron Bauer. He adds details and insights into Don's thinking that makes it more than just an instruction manual. Available from him or at http://www.rnt2.com listed as The "Complete" Don Alan's Chop Cup. I have both of the RNT2 booklets on this. The Ron Bauer one is definitely worth a few dollars more.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Here's the opportunity to make up your own routine.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Pete that's a great idea but I have never even seena chop cup routine. or read about one. I want a basis to start on so I can see what works,
what doesn't work. then I can find what works for me. maybe that's weird but I have no magic friends. I only see what I can buy. and iv come far in the realitive short time iv been doing this, I don't have the experience to start somthing unknown without guidence
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Yes, combine a few of your favorite techniques together and try it out with lay audience first. Their response can tell you what you have done (good or bad). It is really an adventure - the more you perform the simple chop cup routine the more you learn. Every performing environment teaches you something.

Enjoy!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It is OK to see what's been done. But... what a golden opportunity to take the props and think about what can be done... play around with the stuff and you may discover something really cool and original.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

=) very true and I have. but what iv done has been like the cups and balls wiht one cups and until I watch these vids someone kindly sent me of performaces I'm nto sure if that's dieerent then a "chop cup" routine
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
260 Posts

Profile of Slappy
Watch youtube to see what not to do
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
CDS
View Profile
Regular user
MI
109 Posts

Profile of CDS
Instead of coming up with a routine why not get Complete Don Alan's Chop Cup from Ron Bauer… all the work is done for you…. If you look in to the reviews on Ron Bauer's Privets Studies you will see that he has not had a bad review from the well known magicians…look at who is in favor of Ron Bauer's booklets...
Daryl, David Regal, Paul Chosse, Bruce Cervon, Karrell Fox, Marc DeSouza, Tom Gagnon, Paul Green, Scott F. Guinn, Todd Karr, Stephen Minch, Aldo Colombini, Reed McClintock, Randy Wakeman, Tim Trono, Bob Longe, Paul Green, Michael Close, Roger Klause…ect.

Check out his web site
http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/
And look for some FREE magic tricks…(Inside Info)

good luck
Chuck
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is the best of all of them. It's the only chop cup book that I occasionally retail.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
You can't go wrong with a combination like Ron Bauer and Don Alan! And at only $10, it's a real steal!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-06-14 13:45, Pete Biro wrote:
Here's the opportunity to make up your own routine.

You follow this advice with "I have never seen or read any routine". GREAT!

That is the point. If you want a unique routine, if you want one that is more you than anyone else, if you want to really do your own routine, you have the cup, you know the moves, just imagine one. It is not easy, but wow will you love yourself for it in a while.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2142 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Josh,
if you have purchased an RNT II stubby, just PM your address and I'll supply you with the routine for free, you should have gotten one with the cup, but since you didn't I'll send you one.

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I don't know that I agree that everyone should just invent their own routines from scratch with no research. True, some folks can do that, but not everyone is gifted in that regard. Even the great Fred Kaps, generally regarded as the best all-around magician of the 20th Century (if not all-time) mostly performed material created by others. So have many, many other very fine magicians through the years.

If one is not particularly gifted at CREATING magic but is accomplished at PERFORMING it, he is probable better served to perform magic created by those who are gifted in that area, as opposed to coming up with a mediocre routine of his own. (I am in no way saying here that this is the case with anyone in this topic!)

Or, perhaps, he might be better served by doing some research and seeing what has been done, so he doesn't waste a lot of time reinventing the wheel. Then he can pick and choose, and construct a routine with his own touches and sequences combined with his favorites created by past and present masters of the craft.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-06-14 17:18, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
You can't go wrong with a combination like Ron Bauer and Don Alan! And at only $10, it's a real steal!

The price of this one is $15.00. It's one of the special editions. But it is still worth every penny.

Let me add this. When I work on the classics, and I consider the chop cup a modern classic, I read everything I can find about it. Then I work with one routine, whichever one appeals to me. I adapt it to my own style. Sometimes, the version I perform doesn't stray far from the original. Other times, when I get through with it, it bears no resemblance at all to the source.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Got a chop cup, where to find a routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL