The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Got a chop cup, where to find a routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
OOps! My bad! Thanks for the correction, Bill. Still a great bargain.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-06-14 13:45, Pete Biro wrote:
Here's the opportunity to make up your own routine.

good point! I recently bought the new(ish) Fantasima "chinese line" chop cup and promptly lost the routine that came with it- and I thought it was a pretty good routine so I was upset. But then I thought to myself: "I know what this is, I know what it does, I should just make this up myself..."

I love the fantasima cup, but the "kicker" TALKS TALKS TALKS. Badly.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Line the cup with felt.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Am I the only one who still does the Larry Jennings routine? I did the Don Alan routine until 1965 when the Jennings routine was published in Genii. In the early 70's, I spent an afternoon with Jennings and got some fine points. The unique load method still fries most magicians.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's a clever idea, but I prefer the adaptation I have done of the Don Alan routine. I do three loads, standing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
The Greater Magic Library The Classic Chop Cup has routines and advice from Larry Jennings, Don Alan, Martin Lewis and Brad Burt. Nice routines and suggestions on how to construct a routine, especially from Brad Burt. Joshua, I am selling my copy for $12 if you are interested. Great stuff, but I perfer the cups and balls and sleight of hand, although I have to say a chop cup kills in the right situation.

Stevie D
-Stevie D
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5734 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2007-06-15 00:27, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-14 13:45, Pete Biro wrote:
Here's the opportunity to make up your own routine.

good point! I recently bought the new(ish) Fantasima "chinese line" chop cup and promptly lost the routine that came with it- and I thought it was a pretty good routine so I was upset. But then I thought to myself: "I know what this is, I know what it does, I should just make this up myself..."

I love the fantasima cup, but the "kicker" TALKS TALKS TALKS. Badly.

One of the magicians in my area uses clear latex caulk, smeared on the insides of his cups. He loads cue balls, when performing cups and balls. I've never heard his loads talk.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Joshua,

Let's meet at Haine's or Artie's or somewhere else. I'll show you my chop cup routine. You help me with my Pass!

Sound like a good use of your time?!?!?

Chad
paulmaccabee
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
24 Posts

Profile of paulmaccabee
Joshua:
I'd have to agree with Glenn Godsey -- the Larry Jennings "Famous Chop Cup Routine" is a Mozart-level thing of elegant close-up beauty. You can find Larry's meditation on the Chop Cup in the March 1965 issue of Genii in Charlie Miller's Magicana section, with some very easy-to-follow photos of Jennings performing the double-load routine.
Paul
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Larry Jennings' routine is really Ron Wilson's... and the final load cover with the silk is Bob Stencils.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2007-06-19 01:27, Pete Biro wrote:
Larry Jennings' routine is really Ron Wilson's... and the final load cover with the silk is Bob Stencils.

Yes, I have heard that before. According to "The Uncanny Scott" book, Ron and Larry brainstormed this together in the early 60's. Larry published his handling in 1965 and Wilson published his in 1987. I'm a great admirer of both men and both versions.

I'm glad to learn about Stencil's contribution. The "silk cover load" is a brilliant move the way Larry did it. Also, Larry's "shrug load" for the second ball is quite different from Ron's...or Don Alan's...or anyone else, and it is beautifully deceptive.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Just as a update to the thread, I'm doing dan tongs routine, as its simple, a solid routine and had a quick learning curve as I have many other projects on working on. I do plan to visit the jenning routine in the future when time permits if I can it sounds great.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Joshua,
You would do well to accept Chad's invite. He executes a very good performance. Should you stop by to meet with Artie and the gang you may even run into me. Nevermind, nothing to see here.

Bill
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I did. I told him I'm up at haines basiclly every staurday afternoon. I usually stop over at arties for a few mins after, but I don;t know many of those guys so I general don;t stay there long
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
Sent you a PM
Learn something new everyday.
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
148 Posts

Profile of BobMc
I have to put my vote in for Dan Tong's chop cup routine. I like it for several reasons. For one, it is short and he doesn't go to the well too much with the benefit of the chop cup. He mixes in traditional sleight of hand, the chop cup, a nice little "hole in the cup" effect, a different colored ball, and a final load. I am completely sure this is because I know the effect, but when I watch DVD's of others mentioned above, it concerns me a little with how differently the cup is handled between catch and release. Dan Tong seems to work it perfectly from my perspective.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I just came up with a totally new prop to do a routine with, usining a Yamaka (SP?), Matzah Balls, a bagel and LOCKS. And a breadstick for a wand.
Being a Gentile I probably spelled all the words wrong.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
elbruno
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of elbruno
L & L has just come out with another "World's Greatest Magic" video devoted to the Chop Cup. It contains the following:

My Best Friend – David Regal
Chop Cup Routine – John Mendoza
The Two Goblets – Gary Ouellet
Chop Cup – Danny Tong (courtesy of Kozmo's Magic)
Chop Cup – Steve Dacri
Jennings Chop Cup – Larry Jennings
The Chop Cup – Jim Swain

I'm certain that there's something for everybody on this dvd.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1135 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Pete: Please tell me you're joking. The yarmulke is symbol of religious devotion, not a prop for a routine. Pick a different set of props and stereotypes to do your magic with . . .
colin underwood
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of colin underwood
I used Don Alans routine a start but have now progressed to my own simply through trial and error and a need to make money from it as I am using it for my ending of my street show. In other places I would use Dan tongs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Got a chop cup, where to find a routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL