We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Amsterdam street and Café magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
supercool
View Profile
Regular user
USA
160 Posts

Profile of supercool
I want to go to Amsterdam and possibly perform in the streets or Cafés. I have never been to Europe so I don't know what to expect. I do have a lot of experience performing in Chicago where I had to have a performers license. Does any one here have any tips, advice, or need to know info?
Thanks for any help.

Hello any body.
Help me out.
Check out Smile TheMysticSpirit.com Smile
supercool
View Profile
Regular user
USA
160 Posts

Profile of supercool
Hello any body.
Help me out
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Here's the best help I can give you. If you go to the Cannabis Cup, you're not going to have to worry about street performing.
supercool
View Profile
Regular user
USA
160 Posts

Profile of supercool
I'm really curious about how much permits cost, if me being an American will be a problem, if there are laws against street performance, etc...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-06-14 14:54, supercool wrote:
Hello any body.
Help me out

You get irritated because nobody answers your question within three hours? How did you get the name supercool?

Seriously, some people live on different schedules than others. Give us a day or so to find out the information you seek.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
supercool
View Profile
Regular user
USA
160 Posts

Profile of supercool
Bill it's cool man. Smile The reason I did that was I saw several people viewed it without any responses. I guess I got a little paranoid LOL. it is the first topic I ever posted anywhere and I felt like maybe I wasn't going to be take seriously. I really wasn't irritated, maybe just a little impatient, sorry if this bothered anyone.
Thanks Don
nick nickolas
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
78 Posts

Profile of nick nickolas
Apparantly, they are strict about licences in the Dam if you are not an E.U. resident, there have been chats on performers.net about it,,,
that's all I know ,,,,apart from the fact it's a great city...
Nick
supercool
View Profile
Regular user
USA
160 Posts

Profile of supercool
Thanks Nick performers.net seems to have a lot of info I will check it out.
supercool
View Profile
Regular user
USA
160 Posts

Profile of supercool
Ok this is what I found out- I cant get a permit cause I'm a noneuropein but others have performed up to 10 days with out getting in troble, also if I get caught they will politly ask me to quit and they wont give me a fine or confescate my stuff.
if anyone knows diferntly please let me know.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2007-06-15 05:16, supercool wrote:
Ok this is what I found out- I cant get a permit cause I'm a noneuropein but others have performed up to 10 days with out getting in troble, also if I get caught they will politly ask me to quit and they wont give me a fine or confescate my stuff.
if anyone knows diferntly please let me know.

Relax, calm down, everything will be okay. No, that little purple leprecon on top of your monitor is probably not real... Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Mine is... but he's green! (I'm a traditionalist!)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Well, it seems you've got a lot of little weird things running around the house.
I love you display picture. Is that a real bunny?
Woa dude, radical! Smile
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
I'm a musician (mix and recording engineer) and also design recording studios. I meet a lot of people who smoke. I find they really enjoy the magic and are less likely to interrupt your routine than people who are drunk, or even people who are sober sometimes. I also find little mistakes fly far over their head and so I usually have alittle more leeway with that crowd, especially when I become part of that crowd, lol.

Stevie D
-Stevie D
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
Like a lot of things in Europe, you need a performers licence to make money out of busking in a major city. Some places are very keen on enforcing these rules others are not. Amsterdam is a bit of a Mecca for rule breakers. For example, smoking cannabis is not legal in Amsterdam but is decriminalised. It's kind of like saying "you shouldn't do it but we've got better things to do that come down on you if you do."

It is similar with Busking. Although, as a nonEU citizen, it would be difficult to get a permit to perform the only hassle you would be likely to get would be from other buskers with permits, not the police. If you were stopped by the police, it is unlikely that anything would happen to you other than getting moved on. Amsterdam is one of the most relaxed cities I have ever spent time in (The whole of the Netherlands is cool and a little weird) and that goes from the kids on the street right up to the cops on the beat.
Yola Sol
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
51 Posts

Profile of Yola Sol
I think I just might be able to answer some of your questions, living only a few miles from Amsterdam. Smile

Performing in restaurants and cafés is less usual in the Netherlands than it is in the US. You should be able to find some spots, but I think your chances might be a lot better in the streets. However, we do have some bad weather, so having a backup spot inside would be nice. As long as you just behave nicely it'll be alright. You'll probably just get a warning or they'll even let you continue your performance. Be nice, you might be able to talk yourself out of most things.

Wow. Where did all that come from Smile Don't worry, have a great time in Amsterdam (oh, and while you're there, try to visit some other cities. The Netherlands in general do look a little like Amsterdam, but not that much. Smile
On the road of life, don't forget to stop and eat the roses
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Wow, Amsterdam sounds like quite a weird country.
Has anyone here seen the movie Hostel? (I hope it's not quite like that...)
However it seems very relaxed, passive, and calm. (Maybe it's the pot? lol)
I'm going to try to visit there sometime before I die.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When I was in Amsterdam a couple of years ago, I saw a magician named Celsius who worked at one of the restaurants near the train station. He did a stage show.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Wow, this topic certainly changed around quite a bit!
Anyway, getting back on topic, supercool, have a good time in Amsterdam, and tell us how it went!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-07-07 11:18, Cory Gallupe wrote:
Well, it seems you've got a lot of little weird things running around the house.
I love you display picture. Is that a real bunny?
Woa dude, radical! Smile

No, that's my mentor. Mandrake McMagicbunny!

He doesn't do a lot, but then, neither do I!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Amsterdam is one of my fave cities to visit while travelling. and I've street-performed there everytime. I stay away from the actual Cafés.....too much of a crap-shoot as to whether the proprietor will call the jacks (police). There are HUNDREDS of high-traffic spots near the canal, sidewalks, little archways, lots of places to do magic. In fact, it's almost as if the makeup of Amsterdam is desinged for magicians and against jugglers! (If you juggle on the streets of Amsterdam....you WILL break something!) I've never been bothered by the jacks, and if it is illegal (I don't make a point of looking that sort of nonsense up) it's enforced with the same enthusiasm as Jaywalking.

Know some Japanese key-phrases....Amsterdam is loaded with Japanese tourists.

Don't bother with the local blab...in Amsterdam even the dogs understand English

Have a good attention-getter, don't forget, youre competing with the ladies in the windows!

Be bold, be forward....it's one of the freindliest most easygoing places on Earth, don't be afraid to walk right up to people.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Amsterdam street and Café magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL