The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Eddie Joseph book on cups and balls ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
May I know how many books did Eddie Joseph wrote on cups and balls? And what are your thoughts on his books? Where may I know his books can be purchased? Thanks!
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Check my latest bibliography list for the books he wrote that cover the cups.

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Eddie's books were published by several different publishers. Max Andrews (Vampire Magic) published some of them. Supreme published some, and so did Abbott's. Abbott's may be the best source of new copies. Ebay is another source.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
The books on the cups & balls authored by Eddie Joseph were:

A Practical Lesson in Cups and Balls (1937)
Lessons in Cups and Balls (1938)
Advanced Lessons in Cups and Balls (1938)
The Last Word on Cups and Balls (1942)
How to do the Cups and Balls (1946)
My Favorite Routine with Cups & Balls (1949)
The Hindu Cups (1956)
Eddie Joseph on Cups & Balls, ed. Gordon Miller (1984)

The latter is an abridged collection of work from 'A Practical Lesson in Cups & Balls', 'Advanced Lessons in Cups & Balls', 'The Last Word on Cups & Balls' and 'My Favorite Routine with Cups and Balls'.

In addition to the books, he also published routines and ideas in magazines including Tops, Genii and Max Andrews' Magic Magazine.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
I would have thought that "The Last Word on Cups and Balls" would have been his last. Oh well. Maybe Michael Ammar will soon be publishing "More of the Complete Cups and Balls."
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It actually was. Eddie Joseph was actually Merlin the magician. This is a little known fact. Unlike T.H. White's theory, Merlin did not live backwards in time. He lived sideways. That's why The Last Word on Cups and Balls was written during the middle of Eddie's career as a magic writer.

Aren't you glad you have someone who knows the real story behind these books to help straighten out these puzzles?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-06-15 22:43, Bill Palmer wrote:
It actually was. Eddie Joseph was actually Merlin the magician. This is a little known fact. Unlike T.H. White's theory, Merlin did not live backwards in time. He lived sideways. That's why The Last Word on Cups and Balls was written during the middle of Eddie's career as a magic writer.

Aren't you glad you have someone who knows the real story behind these books to help straighten out these puzzles?

Given how convoluted and impractical "The Last Word..." is, this theory actually makes a lot of sense...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Having just sold my library, I can attest to the fact that all the aforementioned books by Eddie Joseph are well worth checking out. However, not much of the ideas are really workable. Like producing a bird, ice cream and other items.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, everyone for the input. And WOW, Eddie is Merlin the magician!

Is there a specific dealer that carry all his books?
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Magic Books by Post in the UK have a couple of them for sale. Some are more difficult to find than others - but they all appear on eBay from time to time.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Richard. I am trying very hard to complete the entire collection of Eddie's work.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
You're welcome. Several other book dealers might also have copies that aren't listed online: H&R Books and Micky Hades have stocks that move quite quickly.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I have to move quickly too. Thanks again, Richard.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
A quick inventory of whats currently available by Eddie Joseph at Abbott magic (all are also available individually as $4 downloads). If you are looking for something in particular, let me know and I will search the archives.

Art of Body Loading by Eddie Joseph
Premonition by Eddie Joseph
Bombay by Eddie Joseph
Strictly Magic by Eddie Joseph
Mail Mentalism by Eddie Joseph
Cups and Balls by Eddie Joseph
Memory Of The Mind by Eddie Joseph
Coin And Money Magic by Eddie Joseph
Magic and Mysteries of India by Eddie Joseph
Starology (Thought Interception) by Eddie Joseph
Staggered by Eddie Joseph
Intuitional Sight (Eddie Joseph)
Card Magic of the Mind (Eddie Joseph)
Dumbfounders With Cards (Eddie Joseph)
Greater Card Tricks - The definitive card works of Eddie Joseph
Hitting the Headlines by Eddie Joseph
Come Good Spirits by Eddie Joseph
How To Pick Pockets by Eddie Joseph
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
Does anyone know how James Tong is doing?
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Re-reading the earlier posts here reminds me of the unsolved mystery of James Tong. Been years now. Whatever became of him? Such a nice man. I hope he's OK. Any information would be appreciated. PM if preferred.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4507 Posts

Profile of videoman
I wonder about James occasionally too. He used to post on the Café about 25 times a day, then it dropped to zero overnight.
I really hope he is okay.
If anyone knows let us know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Eddie Joseph book on cups and balls ... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL