The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Girl In Fish Bowl (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I have been looking for a REAL thorough set of girl in fishbowl/ living mermaid plans for a LONG time.... Any clues?

Loooooooong ago, as a pre-teen- Iwas in some bar upstate Ny that had a rectangular aquarium, with fish swiming around, and inside was a "live" mermaid. Obviously a living person, as she could both hear and respond, even writing on a small board "under water"

Now, my memory may be skewed by years having passed, but none of the explanations I've seen for that effect have adequately been capable of reproducing what I saw there.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Hello
I noticed the mailing address on your website to be Orlando. Have you ever considered a visit to Weeki Wachee. Not far from your location.
Check out the Video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuPI1yr8kYk

Regards,
Cindi
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

I am a regular to weeki wachee, though it is a sad shell of its former self, we frequented it when I was a kid. Those mermaids are not miniature though.

I actually regularly donate to the "Save Our Tails" fund to help save the park.

For years they did an underwater magic show there. Pretty impressive considering they had to deal with water pressure, fish and toher deisgn issues.

The engineering of the underwater theatre was quite a feat too. It was built on the shore and then slid into the water... the problem was they needed a lubricant that wouldn't harm the spring... What did they use? THOUSANDS of pounds of bannanas!
<BR>
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I think any plans would work. Although I've never done it with a straight-sided aquarium, the optics used for the traditional mermaid in a round bowl should work for an aquarium ... you'd just need a really big mirror. Build a little tiny one from a cardboard box and a 2-1/2 gallon aquarium and see how it looks. Put a Barbie doll inside.

I have a "Girl in Fishbowl" that uses the round bowl. I used Abbott's plans. I'll bet they still sell them; give Greg a call.

It seems I once saw a movie where a detective was talking to a mermaid and she was in a dark room behind the tank, not below it. It may have even been a TV show like "Columbo." Assuming that was more than just Hollywood's version of "behind the scenes," there could be another method.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Ripley's Museum Myrtle Beach South Carolina mid 70's had exactly the aquarium mermaid act you are describing...including the fish.

The illusion would indeed make her seem quite small, but she maintained adult dimensions. Smile

She would sexily lure folks off the boardwalk into the museum. The illusion was remarkable, really quite stunning. You stood before the glass close, people would tap the glass!

She also had an "underwater microphone" and could flirt.

Now you make me want to research it more.
It was a much better act than this... http://www.darkartsmedia.com/FEEJEEMERMAID.html
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Well, someone here is sure to know. If it was at Ripley's, there are 16-year-old pimple-faced kids who saw the workings on a regular basis.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Yep, I was that kid and was offered a summer gig to secretly control and voice some early radio controlled whiz bang robot of Ripley's at the time. Turned them down when I booked a gig doing magic below the SwampFox roller coaster so I never saw the workings of the mermaid but assumed it was what we expect.

I actually have memory of her hair been skewed and wavy as if underwater...but I could be wrong.
I mainly remember she was pretty.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
When I was 16, the choice between working with a pretty, wet, wavy-haired flirting mermaid and doing magic tricks below a roller coaster would have been a no-brainer!

It reminds me of when I was a kid working the carnivals. I lived near the state fair grounds and the interested area kids always found work with the circuses and carnivals that came to town. It was always good for a laugh when the "...beautiful young girl who turns into a 400 pound lowland gorilla" sat across from me in English class. And I never realized she had such a genetic mutation!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Interesting take on this is now at Disneyland. The new Nemo Submarine attraction uses a combination of real water and 'dry for wet' animatronics and CGI animation all combined to an 'underwater' scene. Said to be really realistic...hopefully will be able to handle the 3 hour wait in a queue and report on what they came up with.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
Doug, the [MUCH!] smaller version of this is in EPCOT, and the tank projection scenes are very convincing! The transition from animatronics and normal backgrounds to immersion in the tank is pretty interesting and subtle, too.

No subs, though, as Captain Nemo's fleet is still in drydock with a couple of confirmed permanent decommissions. We have to settle for omnimovers.

I'm not familiar with the term "dry for wet" animatronics. I'm interested in hearing more, though.

Chris
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Like 'day for night', when in the old B Westerns they would shoot the night scenes in the day time with a ususually unconvincing filter to darken the result.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Handa, alas, they are all permanant decomissions- the lagoon is gone, the subs have all been pulled apart excpt for a few that are sunk off of castaway cay, the island for DIsney Cruise Line.

I worked there before it closed, and the subs were rather a mess, leaky etc. Then, the lagoon had issues so that was that. It was also an EXPENSIVE atraction to run.

Nemo at epcot is neat- no real animatronics there, (One kuka robot angler fish) all projections and pepper's ghost. At least it made Living Seas viable again. I like the interactive animated Turtle Talk exhibit myself... oh, wait, just took my own thread off topic....

Girl in fish bowl.... Smile
<BR>
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17665 Posts

Profile of Slim King
So what you saw was NOT Peppers?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Where did you mean Slim? I've never seen any Girl in fishbowl that used Pepper's Ghost.
<BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Girl In Fish Bowl (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL