We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre Voodoo effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Anyone doing any Voodoo type effects??
Most magically yours,
WR Smile Smile Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
I am doing a putting together a whole voodoo themed show.

In it we:

*Using a voodoo doll (among other things) change a person's destiny (not for the better I am afraid).

*Attempt to reanimate a dead hand (as in
zombie) with surprising results.

*Release the trapped spirit of a dead voodoo priest - with disastrous consequences.

Describing the routines would be too long for here. If you would like more info, PM me.

Dave
cmwalden
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Park, TX
150 Posts

Profile of cmwalden
I do a voodoo doll, but it's more mentalism than bizarre. I introduce the doll and tell people that the easiest thoughts to perceive are violent ones.

I then set the prediction aside and have them think of someone very evil. I ask that it be a historical or fictional character, since we wouldn't want to be responsible if anything were to happen. Then, thinking of that person and looking at the doll, imagine using the doll to inflict pain on them.

I draw out the doll on a piece of paper, draw an X on it, and set it aside.

I then invite them to act out their violent thought by plunging a hat pin into the doll. They get to change their mind. When they have settled on a spot, I turn over the prediction. They match.

I thought of another one. This one is from Eugene Burger's book Spirit Theatre.

A voodo doll is shown. I found the most horrid "home voodoo" kit at a clearance store. They thought it was a joke, I think. It's crass and wonderful.

It starts with a prediction held in plain site in a bulldog clip. Each are invited to take a pin from the kit and one at a time insert it into the doll, until only one major part of the doll remains untouched. The prediction is removed from the clip and it matches the unpinned part.

Each person taking a turn to pierce the doll can be very interesting. It has a Murder on the Orient Express sort of feel.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

- William Shakespeare
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Tread warily when you are doing any routine that you claim is "voodoo".

Remember, you are playing with someone else's religion! And believers take it very seriously, indeed.

So, if you must use that theme, then at least treat it with respect.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
I did Eugene Burger's version of 'ash on plam' which is 'voodoo' type effect and this guy who is a friend of my friend who I had never met before (so he didn't know I was a 'magician') went crazy. Like realy mad he got up and started walking in circles and stuff. Because he was born in Africa he believed in that chanting, I had to explain the secret to clam him down. I would never, ever normally do that but I had to, I am very careful how I present it now, I do it more as a tranposition of the ash from the drawing to the their hand.. You should be careful what you do, what if you did effects based on Christan ideology? There would be some pretty ***** off people. Just imagine doing a routine where you had a Jesus doll and the spec chose where to hammer the nail into him. You had a folded drawing and the nail was in the same place, that would cause some tempers to flare..... Smile
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
cmwalden
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Park, TX
150 Posts

Profile of cmwalden
I think that this is an area where your character helps define the moment. If you portrayed yourself as a sort of voodoo priest, I think that's looking for trouble. But a Van Helsing type exploration would be less intrusive.

I think it is only courtesy to have some knowledge of the subject you explore. In the voodoo routines with the doll, a real description of their use is given. Caution is urged not to actually wish harm on someone, which I think shows some respect for the belief. However, it must be delivered correctly.

And I suppose it is impossible to completely avoid offending and offer an effective piece at the same time. Some take offense that we perform magic at all.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

- William Shakespeare
vratkins
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans USA
151 Posts

Profile of vratkins
Personally, I'm working on my loaves and fishes routine. I gave up on walking on water. I couldn't find a good performance venue.

Seriously, I second cmwalden's opinion above.
I was once cautioned to take out a minor mention of "evolution" in a routine, in order not to offend fundamentalist Christians. It stayed in. I'm not going to change a thing for a bunch of loonies.

I really think that Bizzare magic and mentalism are offensive to fundamentalists of all religions.

Stepping down from the soapbox now.
Victor
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Just let me say I still do voodoo type effects I just am careful how and who I present them to. I still do a voodoo types of presentation, but saying something along the lines of "Do you believe in Voodoo? Well this is something similar, but no-one will come to harm its just a manipulation of the senses" This way it is not just a a 'trick' but you not saying it is voodoo powers. Now when I do Burger's 'ash on palm' specs say they felt like they had been put in a trance, or that I must of hypnotised them put the ashes on their palm and then woken them up and then carried on the trick.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Like hackmonkey, I still do voodoo routines but am very careful not to suggest that it is, in fact, voodoo or a voodoo ritual.
Victor says, "I'm not going to change a thing for a bunch of loonies."
I certainly wouldn't classify ANY true believers as "loonies".
After all, THEY may be right and YOU may be wrong!
Smile
roguemagic
View Profile
New user
bizarre iowa
96 Posts

Profile of roguemagic
I purchased a nice effect from Thaumysta/Mary Tomich--you do Voodoo(?) It was created by Alain Nu. I worked on it for a while, but have yet to put it into my show. The effect is nice because it removes any pressure on the audience member. I think with the right set up, it could be rather powerful.

Take care,
Craig
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Any way of using the Voodoo doll wiothout impaling one's self??
Most voodooistly yours,
WR Smile Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
roguemagic
View Profile
New user
bizarre iowa
96 Posts

Profile of roguemagic
Good point about poking one's self. The doll is wound rather tight. I forgot about this problem. I remember that I was going to try to create my own doll--sans the tightness. Most of the time I ended up bending the pins with the supplied dolls.

Take care,
Craig
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I was messing around with my Voodoo doll and some IT. It became very enlighting what can be made to look like what is happening.
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
I had this germ of an idea recently for a voodoo themed routine:

You show a small voodoo doll to the audience and tell them how you found it lying in your daughter’s room. You were cleaning her room and found it under her bed. The doll is pretty ugly for a toy you reason, and dirty. Perhaps one of her friends dropped it, or perhaps the cat dragged it into the house, mistaking it for a dead rat? You had decided to ask your daughter about it, but never got round to. Funny how it slipped your mind.

Looking at it now you realise that it looks rather like one of those magic dolls? There are even a couple of pins tied to it with string around the doll’s middle. You gesture to someone near you with the doll and suggest they try sticking a pin into it. You might say something like ”haven’t you always wanted to?”, ”who are you thinking about? No, you can’t say, of course.”

As the first pin is stuck in the doll the performer looks uncomfortable, his face pale. As the second pin is pushed into the doll the performer doubles over. His hands are visible clutching the edge of the table, knuckles white.

A barley audible whisper his heard from the performer: ”no... no... no... she can only have been playing... She can’t have known! She can’t have know what she was playing with...”

The performer straightens and faces the audience, his eyes staring into the distance, tears gliding down his cheeks. Blood, rich streams of it, can be seen flowing from his body out of wounds in the exact locations that the pins were inserted into the doll.
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
David, wow! I especially liked the fact that the doll is found under the daughter's bed, rather than stuffed up a chimney, or under the front step. How old is this child? In many ways, steely eyed, and precocious, eight year olds are more scary than stroppy pubescents. Conversely, if the girl is, say, 4, I'd have trouble believing that it was malicious, and I think it'd be a shame to lose the delicious ambiguity you've created.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
cmwalden
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Park, TX
150 Posts

Profile of cmwalden
Quote:
On 2003-01-30 08:37, Peter Marucci wrote:
I certainly wouldn't classify ANY true believers as "loonies".
After all, THEY may be right and YOU may be wrong!
Smile

What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about? Smile

- William Shakespeare
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre Voodoo effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL