The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Abbot's Encylopedia of Rope Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
Okay guys,

I am very new to ropes. What do you think about this book? What routines would you recommend from it? What would you stay away from? How would use the book to learn from (if at all)?

Thanks for the input. Smile
Geoff Ray
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Geoff Ray
I have this book and I think it is very good. It has a very large section on C+R ropes and a good misc. section. But to me the best bit is the last chapter - the Hindu rope trick. A very good book and worth getting.
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
I have it too and yes, it is good.
I use one of the C&R method and also Ring & Rope Release. I'm still looking other tricks to use from this book.

Regards,
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Good book - full of great ideas. You might want to check out vol. 2 of "Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks" also. I don't know if there is a Dover paper back version of vol. 2. Both were compiled by Stewart James. H&R Books might help you to locate vol. 2. http://www.magicbookshop.com/

Regards,
Gerald
Geoff Ray
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Geoff Ray
In reply to what Budihaha said I use 2 C+R rope tricks. I use the Tarbell Rope Trick in my stage act - method B (and of course A) and I use the "Chow Coon" rope trick in my parlour act. It is a very good book.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
If not for anything else in this great book, learn the one-handed throw knot. My 21 year old son is still baffled over how I can throw a rope in the air and have it land knotted.

I suspect he will be asking me to show his kids, someday.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Apropos of Gerald's remark, I believe that Volume 1 of Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks lost its copyright at some time, reverted to the public domain, and was snapped up by Dover to publish. There are two other volumes (volumes 2 and 3) of Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks, which can be viewed on Abbott Magic's website. I believe that Abbot's is, in fact, the publisher.

Now, my question: Has anyone read volume 2 or 3? How about a brief review? Are these books very useful?

0pus
BearMage
View Profile
New user
Kalamazoo, MI
26 Posts

Profile of BearMage
I believe it was Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks that I harvested a great version of Cords of Phantasia from using donuts and coffee cups instead of hanks.

I had the fun of performing for our local Fraternal Order of Police once and got the biggest laugh from the routine for that night.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it was Abbott's book that I got it from. However, you know all about the first thing to go... Smile

As for the Dover books, I have to admit to being a bit of a purist. I still try to buy the book from the original publisher when possible. Dover has a rep for jumping on expired copyrights. If you've ever had something you created stolen...you'd understand that. Piracy is piracy...arrrrrrr!!! Smile

Blessin's
Bear
"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that the savage has,
because we know how it was made. We have lost as much as we gained by
prying into that matter."
Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Abbot's Encylopedia of Rope Tricks (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL