The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » ring and string video recommendation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joe h
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of joe h
A Magic hobbiest here, wondering what would be the best instruction video to get on this subject?

I've heard that Aldo Colombini has one and also Greg Wilson? Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

I do an effect I learned out of Genii magazine years ago that I believe was from Ray Grismer (spelling?) It's an effect where the ring comes off the string in the spectator's hand. My wife requests me to do that one a lot so I'm looking to add some punch to my ring and string repertoire. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Greg Wilson's video teaches a lot of sleight on the ring and string. With the sleights you can even come up with your own routine. I think the video comes with a string. You'll be surprise the number of things Greg can show you. Recommended.
Bernard Sim
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Aldo's video is on a routine with a large harness ring, not a finger ring.

I would recommend Ray Grismer's "Ray's Ring and Rope Routines" video, available from Jeff Busby. It is the best, in my opinion. The Wilson video borrows quite a bit from Grismer. Both are excellent, though.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
joe h
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of joe h
Thank you Mr. Scott and Mr. Sim. I actually think I met Ray Grismer years ago at one of the Hollywood Cavalcade of Magic conventions. or it might have been outside the old magic Corner, don't know if anyone remebers that place That was another lifetime ago.

I will check these both out.

Thank you guys.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Bob Miller has a companion video out to his marketed "Relentless Ring & String Routine" which is quite good.

For more info, contact Bob at
(800) 566-9931
bobmillermagic@mac.com
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
joe h
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of joe h
I picked up Greg Wilsons Video this weekend. It's great. Just what I was looking for. It should keep me busy for quite some time.

Thanks guys.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Try Daryl's Ring and String routine with a big ring. It's very good. Dand Garrett's video that has a good ring and string routine is also worth trying plus you get pindemonium thrown in . This is a great deal.
steve proescher
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia Beach
147 Posts

Profile of steve proescher
Gregory Wilson's video is great, and encyclopedic in it's nature. He teaches a routine, but also ton's of other moves.

Bob Miller teaches his routine. It's a good one, and Bob teaches it well.

Both videos come with ring and string.

Jay Scott Berry also has a video teaching a routine with a small brass ring instead of a finger ring. I think most if not all of the moves could be translated to finger ring. His video is interesting in that he doesn't speak to explain anything. His explanations are all visual, and he does an excellent job of showing all. His video also comes with the brass ring and ribbon.

I highly recommend all three.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1648 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Let me add a vote for Greg Wilson's video. Tons of classic moves, moves you've never imagined (ring to knot, for example), and just a ton of material to choose from.

Jerry
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17041 Posts

Profile of joseph
Believe it or not, Tabary has a beautiful 3 phase ring and string effect on his rope videos that I always use; Plus, you get his award winning rope routine. Great tapes. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10701 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
tThere are some others out there tat might be of some use
1. Erick DeCamp Stars of magic video

2.Flip's Truly Magical Rope video

3,Symphony Of A Ribbon And Ring vide by Scott Berry.

4 ringing around by a Aldo colombini

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
John
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of John
I wanted to second the Erick DeCamp video. It has a routine on it I've adapted and gotten a lot of use out of. John Bannon also has a nice ring and string move in his book "Smoke and Mirrors."
Sgroge
View Profile
New user
Lynn MA
55 Posts

Profile of Sgroge
Dan Garrett has a great 3 part routine, the Faustus Ring, on his Close-Up Connivery video.
There are 2 penetrations off the string and a beautiful penetration back on. All are nice moves for building your own routine as well.
Have fun.
Steve
UJ
View Profile
New user
Finland
71 Posts

Profile of UJ
Yeah,

Erick DeCamp keeps coming up for a reason.
The routine at the end of the tape is a piece of art!

UJ
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
As mentioned above, Bob Miller's Relentless Ring and String Routine is quite good. You also get a free CD with the video that is an ebook of the manuscript. It's a pretty nice over all routine.
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
femur
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
174 Posts

Profile of femur
For a finger ring: there is also a great routine by Dan Fleshman on the 'restaurant magic' tape by Stevens Magic
"I can't really think of a good quote to put here"
Todd
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Todd
What video is Gregory Wilson's ring/string routine on?
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Phil Wilmarth (Editor of The Linking Ring) is something of an expert on ring and rope routines and has published a book on the subject. It's well worth checking out although some of the effects are workable only with rings larger than a finger ring.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
450 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
Todd,

Gregory Wilson's ring and string video is called Ring Leader put out by MagicSmith. The breadth of information on the tape is very good. Hope this helps.

-Brad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » ring and string video recommendation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL