The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Translucent rubberbands? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2050 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
In Dan Harlan's videos he mentions using translucent bands, to make it harder to tell which band is on top in penetration effects. I've never seen such a thing. Does anyone know where they're available?
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
In Singapore, we use that kind of band. It comes in red, green or an almost orange color. But I must warn you that it is not as good as the bands that you guys are using. It is smaller in size and I think it comes from Malaysia.
Bernard Sim
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Getting a good supply of the "right kind" of rubber bands can be a challenge. I stop by just about every office supply, or discount store that I am near looking for the right ones.

I found some very lightly colored ones that may fall under his definition of
"translucent" bands - and they do a nicer job of "hiding" things than the darker and even the colored bands. I think I got the bands at Office Max but I could be wrong. Just keep looking...

And knowing that Dan is so thorough and pays such attention to detail, I can understand him giving this advice. And I agree that the lighter ones don't show as clearly. But frankly, that is probably the last detail you need to be concerened about. Personally, I will need a few more years of practice on the moves (which are heavily drawn from Dan Harlan's with my own minor mods) and I think the handling is far more important than the bands.

But, if you have the moves down cold, then I guess that the bands are the next place to improve.

I have told Dan about this site, and who knows - he may pop in sometime. I won't promise anything because he is a busy guy, but I may be in touch with him again in a couple of weeks. And I will try to remember to ask him about that!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
UpclseNprsnl
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of UpclseNprsnl
Im not totally for sure what size of rubberbands you are talking about since I am not sure how the penetration tricks work but I do know of some very small almost translucent rubberbands that are sold at your local orthodontists workplace. They are the rubberbands that are used on braces Smile and I would imagine they would work very well unless they are too small. Hope this helps.
UpclseNprsnl
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Those bands do have a place in some well known magic apparatus, and I use them in some custom gimmicks. And yes they are translucent, and some are even almost transparent.

But the rubber bands used for effects like Rubber Cuffs etc, are office supply size 19 (about 2 & 1/2 inches unstretched, or thereabouts depending on the preference of the performer.) A few other sizes are used for various specialty effects and Dan Harlan's videos have a few. I use 1" long through 3" and translucent and brightly colored ones for a number of effects off of Dan's videos.

These bands used for general rubber band efects are big enough to carry around on your wrist without cutting off circulation. And I usually have 8-10 on each wrist no matter where I go (except to bed...)

BroDavid
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
If the bands are the same color, that's good enough for me. I find that it hides the actual positioning nicely so that the revelation (of the bands unlinking) can be delayed from the actual "move."

I prefer the very brightly-colored (day-glow fluorescent) bands sold in well-stocked office supply stores. They look snazzier.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Andi and I haven't had a chance to put them on the site yet, but I have a fairly healthy stock of what I've found to be the best bands (most stretchy and durable, and thinnest) available for magic. They were a pain to find because while most office supply stores carry this company, they don't carry this brand, so you have to mail order them in bulk.

If anybody's interested in buying some, e-mail me and I'll give you the lowdown. Eventually we'll be carrying them at
http://www.asquaredproductions.com
but for now, just e-mail me directly.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Just in: This update from Dan Harlan on Translucent Rubber Bands!

I finally got around to asking Dan about the Translucent Rubber Bands he mentioned, and true to his style, this was not an idle comment. He is extremely attentive to detail, and there are specific bands he uses that are very translucent, made of pure latex, so they last longer and are more flexible than the office supply products.

But as Andy Levis said in his posting on this topic, you have to buy them in bulk.

So I would suggest that you either buy from Andy, or Dan Harlan, who also offers a supply of 200 for about $5. PM me for more info on the Bands, or getting them from Dan.

My previous attitude, had always been the same as Geoff, if the bands you use are all the same color; fine!

But I have large wrists, and the office store bands don't easily stretch for some effects, so I am definitely getting a supply of the recommended Bands from Dan.

BroDavid
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
I got a nearly-full bag of Dan's bands in a "grab bag" purchase from eBay. (I was after another item in the lot.)

After using them a while, I was impressed. They are stretchier, and easier to work with once you get used to the lighter touch. At first, they will fly off your fingers more often (at least in MY experience). But it does keep the front row paying attention! Smile

I had not considered the translucency issue. That makes perfect sense for things like CMH. I noticed that they were, but it didn't occur to me to question why. That's very Dan-like, as someone pointed out.
Gawin
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
171 Posts

Profile of Gawin
As I see CMH as a possible impromptu,
I think you should be able to do it with every rubberband (two similar and from size managing ones!).

But, O.K., during tablehopping I always use the same kind of green rubberbands - I´m familiar with these, and they work.

But for these tricks, are the bands really so important or is it the practice???
Smile
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
I use the Elite Rubber Bands, for they are light brown in colour and they have far more elasticity than any band I've ever used. They can be obtained from the Camirand Academy of Magic in Montreal.
Darryl the Wizard Smile Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of wally
Please HELP, I AM IN SEARCH OF TRANSPARENT / CLEAR 1CM DIAMETER RUBBER BANDS . I live in uk..
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Hi Wally
The dealers refer to them as "gold" rubber bands, not to be confused with "yellow" rubber bands. You can buy 100 size #19 rubber bands for $3.00 at http://www.elmagicshop.com/
HAVE FUN
Al Angello

PS- There is translucent, and there is transparent. The gold ones are translucent. Transparent I have never heard of.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of wally
Put one around a glass can hardly see it, that's the one I need. 1cm diameter.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Translucent rubberbands? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.71 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL