The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » New Site (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

estone
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of estone
Here's my new site, welcome some constructive critiscism on how I could improve would be great!

http://www.edwardstone.ca
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I skipped the flash introduction because I want to know something about you.

As what was said many times before here on the Café, flash is not the best for a website and people leave it before waiting for it to load.

The second page is short and direct to the point, not a children show but one for adults and corporate events. It lacks qualifications and testimonals to put the buyer at ease so they can be assured they are paying for a great act and not a "so-so" act. If you had a link to your agent, now that would say something to a corporate buyer.

Just a short post on my initial thoughts.
Dennis Michael
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
What's the point of having music? Do you really believe people go to your site and then want to listen to your music? At least you give them a choice, but it is still kind of a waste. I listen to music when I surf the web and I choose the type of music I like to listen to, so when I run into a site that starts right off with music that I never requested, I just leave the site.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
sly2272
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of sly2272
Thanks Mr.Michael for your thoughts, I'll no doubt change things around, add areas you suggested. And Mr. Spellbinder, OK no music? You must leave a lot of sites.
Thank You.
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
I noticed everything is on one page. On dial up this one page took about 7 min. to load. If you put things on different pages (such as a contact page, a pictures page, etc.) they would load faster. I also HATE music on websites, they take too long to load and most people don't want to listen to it anyway. Just my thoughts.

Ethan
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
The following is not a criticism per say but a suggestion for you and many others to see a website a little differently.

Many businesses create a one page website with an flashy introduction from the point of view of "Here I am. Look at me." Most likely this has satisfied the performer's own personal needs to get on the web with something that the performer believes makes them look good. Whew! That's done, I've got a website! Now onto other things.......

But a website can be much more than a simply page in virtual reality. It can be a marketing tool that leads potential customers back to your site time and time again to become a place where questions are answered, a doorway that may lead to other information (i.e. links) and a place that former clients will refer new business to again and again....a virtual money machine!

So how can this goal be achieved?

Switch perspectives for a moment and pretend you are the potential client, who is not a magician, trolling on the web looking for a potential performer to fill some sort of a need that the potential client has. Have you satisfied his or her needs, goals and desires?

Ask yourself, if you were that potential client, what would you be interested in knowing about this person, who is a stranger, that would make you want to hire him or her, or at least make you fill out the form to ask for more information?

As Dennis said, perhaps some assurance from someone else might be helpful, i.e. a testimonial or two...maybe more. But we still have questions about you.

These could include:

What do you do?
Who do you do it for?
Is there an audience involved, who we can see enjoying your show?
Where do you live? What areas of the world do you provide services for?
Why should you be hired over some other performer?
What sets you apart from the crowd of other performers?
For someone who knows nothing about booking an event, what information can you provide that might be helpful to that potential client?
Where can I go to get additional information? Are there any links to other websites that you recommend to get someone planning a special event more infomation?
Do you provide other services in addition to magic?
Do you do large illusions, birthday parties, close up, comedy, short shows, long gigs, etc.?

Anyway, you get the idea. Troll to other websites and see what others have done in this regard to make a user friendly website that helps the client make these important decisions. You can use your 1 page cite as the beginning of this challenge, and make links to other pages....

Good luck!

:magicrabbit:
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Lots of good advise above, not that I can do better...but something I noticed.

I liked your "flash" introduction, but it needs a little more work. The words
should be timed with the music, but nicely done.

Your web page is direct and gets to the point. Has a nice banner and tells me
about you in matter of seconds. The first impression I got is that of the first
post.

Music? Well, I would just provide and option to shut it off, I like "Moments in Love" so I didn't mind it Smile
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
TheWebDesigner
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of TheWebDesigner
Well said Pradell!!!
busterjuggler
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia travelling worldwide now
352 Posts

Profile of busterjuggler
Agreed with flash, I am on a broadband and waited a minute or so, then skipped it. The images of cards in the top right have jagged edges (this is a minor thing - but thought maybe just fixing those up won't hurt)

I like the general design though!

James
James BuSTAR
Australia's Comedy Juggling Superstar
info@jamesbustar.com
http://www.jugglingsuperstar.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » New Site (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL