The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Global Warming - What's the worst that could happen? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-06-22 20:27, Steven Conner wrote:
The years really have nothing to do with. Even with science, only God knows, after all, he created science.

Perhaps God has chosen to share some of his knowledge with scientists. In the same way that Doug presumes that scientists have knowledge, you too presume that you have knowledge about the nature of knowledge. One could just as easily take the position that only God knows whether or not people other than God know. After all, God created philosophy.

Divine omniscience doesn't imply ignorance for mortals.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
387 Posts

Profile of Bill
Quote:
Doug,

The years really have nothing to do with. Even with science, only God knows, after all, he created science.

I Don't agree. The lack of science created God.

Johnathon make a good point. If we can manage our forests and rivers how can we possibly institute a G.W. policy. Read The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming (and Environmentalism) by Christopher C. Horner to see what a cluster-f#$K
the Kioto Accord is!! I'm glad Bush had the Quijones to walk out on it.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2007-06-22 21:02, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-22 20:27, Steven Conner wrote:

Perhaps God has chosen to share some of his knowledge with scientists. In the same way that Doug presumes that scientists have knowledge, you too presume that you have knowledge about the nature of knowledge. One could just as easily take the position that only God knows whether or not people other than God know. After all, God created philosophy.

Divine omniscience doesn't imply ignorance for mortals.

Lobo, I presume nothing. Certainly God didn't create a bunch of idiots. After all, we have languages because the people were going to build a tower to the heavens. We only know what God allows. He said some things are kept secret to him. We are brilliant and that's good. This conversation had to do with the wind, and as great as we are, its evident we don't know where it begins and where it ends. Its always good to interject different opinions and then seek out the truth.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Well from what I have heard, Jonathan says we are all just ants on a floodplain. No control over what happens what so ever. We are just hear for the ride. Got it, can't win, don't try. So may as well just rape the earth cause we have no control over anything. Smile
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27242 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Well if you believe in the butterfly effect global warming might be entirely due to a flatulent cow somewhere near Aurora Colorado. Okay, now what do you suggest that does not involve the loss of all livestock within a thousand miles of the area?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Corks.
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2007-06-22 21:16, Bill wrote:
Quote:
Doug,

I Don't agree. The lack of science created God.

Indeed...regardless of whether God exists or not, he is very handy when it comes to explaining things we don't understand. The problems arise when people try to explain things previously attributed to God.

The goal of science is not to prove truth absolutely. The goal of science is to question, reasons and create theories. Science has a theories about global warming. Some theories suggest it is a BIG problem. Some suggest it is a small problem. A very small amount of scientists suggest it is not a problem at all.

The goal of science should be to examine these claims from a rational and clear headed point of view without the bias of hysterical environmental doomsayers or fossil fuel burning big business.

However, and this is the most important point. NONE of us are scientists. None of us really understand or comprehend the science and theories behind global warming. None of us are in the position to come out with a clear headed, rational, well researched theory. If Al Gore, who spent years researching his presentation, made a lot of mistakes. If he were a scientist and not a politicitian he would be able to admit and learn from the errors he made.

So perhaps instead of leaping onto our soapboxes with OUR opinions and OUR ideas we should head to the library and do a bit more research?

Anyone read any good books lately?
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
Global warming isn't a bad thing for guys like Johnathan & I since we hate cold weather ,New York & Indiana can be really bitter cold ,I work outdoors and find it eaiser to to stay cool than warm
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
The problem with this global economy is that you no longer can just care about your own country. In that sense the impact of global warming will truly be global, once it affects some major markets in the world.
Cards never lie
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
The people of the world need to not be so wasteful with energy ,products,and food.those things are a major problem that leads to global warming.
you can do many things to reduce waste like take care of your car & appliances to make them last,walk or ride a bike on short trips,use everything to its fullest,recycle all you can.Many people don`t know that all metal items can be sold for scrap & bring in a little extra income.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27242 Posts

Try telling that to two billion Indians and Chinese who want cars, cable TV and air travel.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-06-25 02:01, Andy the cardician wrote:
The problem with this global economy is that you no longer can just care about your own country. In that sense the impact of global warming will truly be global, once it affects some major markets in the world.

Wait a sec...you mean up to now, I was supposed to have been caring about my whole country?!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2007-06-22 23:17, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Well if you believe in the butterfly effect global warming might be entirely due to a flatulent cow somewhere near Aurora Colorado. Okay, now what do you suggest that does not involve the loss of all livestock within a thousand miles of the area?

The "butterfly effect" is an inappropriate model for chaos. Since chaos theory deals with complexities, the butterfly effect is a simple example to showcase a bit about what chaos theory is about. Chaos theory is more about making predictions (by finding order)in a complex environment.

Basically, the idea of global warming isn't caused by the butterfly, but the butterfly should not be discounted.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27242 Posts

The "idea of global warming" is just that, an idea. The evidence of our larger and longer term climate trends is not so convincing nor does it portend anything like what the alarmists are using to scare folks.

Folks, as you know it is illegal to yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater.

What the heck do you think you are doing as regards our economy by making strange "ecological" demands?

Kindly consider the information you have been presented, the beliefs you have been given and the nature of the discussion you are attending.

If you have constructive suggestions that you have personally found effective, kindly to do contribute. If your desire is to cause others to feel fear and panic and to spread an alarm about some cause ...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27242 Posts

Bill, as you know darn well it's not the butterfly that's causing the warming but instead those pesky caterpillars. They eat the trees which take carbon out of the atmosphere. Then there are the next worse enemies of the atmosphere, vegetarians. Then there are the PETA folks who seem to have something against removing animals that exhale greenhouse gasses and whose methane emissions are a risk to us all. Next on the list...schoolbus drivers. Have you seen the exhaust from those things. How much worse can you drive than the stop-start they do? And right an rush-hour too.

Butterfly effect... ha!

;)
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Here is the BEST book you can read... http://spookybook.com

Highly recommended! Very well written. Not that I have an agenda or anything and even if I did it wouldn't matter because the content is terrific stuff. You can believe every word because the writer knows what he is talking about so any agenda I might have doesn't matter. Please ignore any agenda you think I might have as it has nothing to do with me telling you about this great book. In this one book you will learn all you need to know and you can make your decisions accordingly despite your perception of motives.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Scientist Implicates Worms in Global Warming
Jim Frederickson, the research director at the Composting Association has called for data on worms and composting to be re-examined after a German study found that worms produce greenhouse gases 290 times more potent than carbon dioxide.

Worms are being used commercially to compost organic material and is in preference to putting it into the landfill. The German government wants 45% of all waste to be composted by 2015.

"Everybody... thinks they can do no harm but they contribute to global warming. People are looking into alternative waste treatments but we have to make sure that we are not jumping from the frying pan into the fire," said Frederickson.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
Quote:
yes I know so we`ll have to put up with the mess we are making of this world.it will all end sometime ,like the biblical things they predicted
On 2007-06-25 11:03, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Try telling that to two billion Indians and Chinese who want cars, cable TV and air travel.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
So it's all about pre-butterflies?

I agree that there are extremists at both ends who often do more damage. I also listen to both sides (just like yourself) and research more to make my own informed decision.

Al Gore made some interesting points in "An Inconvenient Truth". I do believe that some of his solutions should be followed, not for environmental reasons, but for economical reasons. Particularly, I am speaking about automobile issues.

Climate Change is happening and always will. Global warming IS an idea, albeit an incomplete one because, as you've said, we don't have enough real data to reasonably predict anything. As Chaos Theory implies, there are details that need to be considered beyond what we immediately see in order to effectively make an informed decision.

The guy in the video at the beginning of the thread makes some very good points. Still flawed, but still very good points. One point that he did gloss over was that he did say the human race will survive, even in the column B (Inaction) negative choice.

What's the worst that could happen?....we'll never know.
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
Cutting woods & rain forests down is a major contributor to the warming ,you go into a woods on a very hot day,and it feels like air conditioning. for you travelers driving down a road with woods on both sides feels cool (for you that have no car air conditioning)theres many factors in this problem,most created by man.We will live here the best we can.find your dreams fefore its too late!!
you know who?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Global Warming - What's the worst that could happen? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL