The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Abbotts 70th Magic Get Together (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
I would love to get feedback on the Get Together from everyone, things you liked things you didn't. And not just for the shows, for everything. Were the accomodations ok, did you rent a boat and was it worthwhile, was the food ok. You can post it here, pm me, or email me at webmaster@magicgettogether.com

The weather says it will be sunny every day, high around 90 so stay cool. Looking forward to seeing you all!
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Skeptic
View Profile
New user
Holland MI
46 Posts

Profile of Skeptic
I will be there on either weds night or thursday AM. Looking forward to my 7th Abbots and seeing all of my friends again.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Greetings From Curly's in Colon....see pic

Click here to view attached image.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5753 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I just got back this morning from the annual Heat And Humidity Festival!!!! $20 is too much to charge to be sitting in an overpacked, stagnant-aired sauna from h*ll, just to see an evening show. I'd much rather watch it on video or something! I'll probably be skipping the evening shows, next year, and checkout the one that FAB puts on, in a fresh air-conditioned auditorium.

The air for the lectures was good, but the air can handle just so many people at the high school. I often went to FAB to escape the heat, hangout and see the merchandise - Rick did a great job.
Sir Pat-Trick
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
54 Posts

Profile of Sir Pat-Trick
For my first time down, I really had a fun time and can not wait until next year. Thankx to everyone for making me feel so welcomed.
Trick is in the Name!
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
I agree with Alan regarding the location of lectures and evening shows. For the money each attendee pays, (140.00 a person this year), to sit in such an uncomfortable environment day after day to attend what was paid for is unacceptable. I realize one can't control the weather, but for the money each paid, come on.....Figure it out Guys. Next year, I will be re-evaluating where I spend my time and $$$ while in Colon. (Hint: See ya downtown...) Just an opinion.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5753 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
This convention has to compete against other conventions, that have the same performers. The older I get, the more I appreciate the conventions where I spend the vast majority of my time in a hotel, in comfort. When I want to see the next lecture or show, I just go downstairs.

Colon doesn't have hotels, but there are so many things that could be done so that there would be a comfortable place to put our feet up between events. I loved the location for Michigan Magic Day. There were lounge chairs and ottomans to relax on between events! It made up for the lack of sleep that precedes conventions. In Colon, you either stand, sit on a hard chair or sit in a smoky environment. It's impossible to relax between events.

Next year, if I go, and I've been coming for 29 straight years, I'll bring a lounge chair. Hopefully, there will be a good place to put it.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be putting together a little report for the Colon Chamber of Commerce President sometime in September and will certainly mention the heat concerns. I know my family was disappointed that all the boats were rented out (not unexpected for that weekend), but they did enjoy the beach most of Saturday afternoon so that helped.

Feel free to pm me any suggestions (or post them here).

All the best
BJ Mallen
View Profile
New user
Colon, MI
37 Posts

Profile of BJ Mallen
Pat I am glad to hear you had a great time at your first Abbott Magic Get Together, I trust I'll see you again next year. Since this was your first I am glad to hear that the heat didn't prevent your good time. Also glad to know you survived a ride with Ab and Artie, were you clutching a crucifix? Smile

Short of putting the shows in a giant fridge, I don't believe there is an air conditioning unit in the world that can handle 95 degree+ heat, 90%+ humidity, and the bodies of 1000 or so people who have been in said heat all day all crammed in the same room. Unfortunately we in Colon do not have a plush theatre, and the event takes place in our town, so we have to work with what we have. I will say that in all the years I can remember, this year's Saturday night show was probably the hottest temperature-wise. It was one of the hottest talent-wise too, I am still laughing. I can only imagine what it was like back in the 30s and 40s under a tent when all gentlemen wore suits! The air conditioning could be felt when I first went in to the gym/auditorium to sell programs, all the chairs and bleachers were cold to the touch, but once all the bodies crammed in, it just couldn't keep up. We are going to have the air conditioners checked out, to see if the need to be charged, however it was fairly comfortable when the temperature and humidity were closer to normal. We have also been discussing some logistical approaches that may be able to cool the place down, should mother nature decide to give Colon another steaming. (my suits are all less wrinkled than they were 2 weeks ago) Global warming an issue for Abbott's? who would have thunk it.

tdowell "I realize one can't control the weather, but for the money each paid, come on.....Figure it out Guys." I guess I am confused by that request, in the begining you admit that no one can control the weather, then you close by saying that because you paid money, we should figure out how to? We will really need to raise the price if we have to hire people to follow other people with fans and ice. Compare the registration cost of the Abbott Magic Get Together with any other 4 day magic convention and you'll see it is actually quite inexpensive.
Alan if you haven't found a place to relax in Colon in 29 years, you are doing something terribly wrong, the time zone is the 1950's for crying out loud; talk to any local, show them a trick, and the next thing you know you have a couch to sit on and a hot meal to boot; ask around with other registrants, many have cottages they have rented, I know you have friends there every year, it is almost impossible to come back more than once and not have friends, go in on a place with them. Call Abbott's early enough in the year, at least a couple months prior to August, and we might be able to help you find a place. And you haven't even reached the average age of an attendee, lots have been coming for 30, 40, 50 and one even 70 years, you're still a young guy Alan, wait till you truly are old to blame your age! Smile

Abbott's is unlike any other magic gathering. That is why we call it the Abbott's Magic Get Together, it is not just a convention but so much more. If you truly need everything all in one building, it isn't for you. However, good luck trying to find the comradery that happens in Colon, it just can't happen in a hotel in a big city. You will never find another experience like the American Legion after the big shows, not to mention the cheap drink prices.
We will check out the air conditioner, but barring another fluke heat and humidity wave I don't anticipate any repeat problems.

BJ Mallen
Still sweltering in a hot and humid Colon. (Geographically, not anatomically, don't get any ideas Hobson)
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Here are links to the two pictures I took at Curly's of a group of magicians. I thought that the magicians may want these for their own site. I uploaded an abbreviated version here a few post up (the internet access at the 3 rivers Holiday Inn did not allow ftp) but here you are limited to size so these are the originals and you can edit/resize them any way you like for your site.

http://www.magicgettogether.com/curly1.jpg

http://www.magicgettogether.com/curly2.jpg

Many thanks to all the people I photographed and videotaped, everyone was great, I am still sorting through pics but you can see a lot of them here

http://www.magicgettogether.com/galleries/hh/index.htm

I tried to capture the entire atmosphere of the town during the get together and think I got most of the main functions going on, magic and non magic. I will be in Colon next month researching past get togethers (I'll see how they're coming on that giant fridge unit) and should have many more pics by then.
magicboy922
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of magicboy922
The magicgettogether page looks good. My negative comment has to go to the
Jack Gwynne Award for Presentation that Jason Bishop received. What was they thinking giving that to Jason Bishop? The kid has talent, but has zero stage present when he insults his volunteers on the friday night show. He has a ton of skill now if he would just come on stage perform his magic and keep his mouth shut and do not speak his thoughts. I almost walked out of the show because of his mouth. His card manipulation act is all that saved him. He should of got the award for the longest sub trunk act in the history of magic. If you seen the show then you understand what I am talking about. Do you agree?
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
Quote:
On 2007-08-08 09:51, magicboy922 wrote:
The magicgettogether page looks good. My negative comment has to go to the
Jack Gwynne Award for Presentation that Jason Bishop received. What was they thinking giving that to Jason Bishop? The kid has talent, but has zero stage present when he insults his volunteers on the friday night show. He has a ton of skill now if he would just come on stage perform his magic and keep his mouth shut and do not speak his thoughts. I almost walked out of the show because of his mouth. His card manipulation act is all that saved him. He should of got the award for the longest sub trunk act in the history of magic. If you seen the show then you understand what I am talking about. Do you agree?

I agree 100%. I know and spoke to several people who left the show. A shame as he does have a lot of talent. Hopefully he learned from watching Hobson and Alan Shaxon on the TERRIFIC Saturday night show.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5753 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
BJ,

Okay, so I can't blame my age, just my experiences. In the era of portable air conditioners, the system could be temporarily supplemented. The trick is to vent it properly.

As for finding a place to relax, I understand that the cabins fill up fast. My idea of relaxation is no noise, a climate controlled environment and a place to lie down. I already work at a very physical job, so when I go on vacation, I want to unwind, not get wound-up.

As for Bishop getting the award, I think he's quite good. But, he has to work on become a little more likeable, so he can get a big standing ovation. I thought Jay Mattioli was excellent. I enjoyed seeing Alan Shaxon perform. Oscar Munoz kicked butt - I really learned a lot from his lecture, too.

What can you say about Hobson? Hobson always has the audience in the palm of his hand! The lecture rocked!
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
603 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
What's the temperature like in November??

I bet it would be a lot cooler for all...
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
There ya go Danny. Excellent idea.

I apologize if I insulted you BJ, not my intent. But...A few well placed fans to move the air at the HS auditorium would have been awesome. As for hiring someone to walk around with ice and fans.....ummmmm I think that's sarcasm. Anyway, Abbotts is a wonderful place to see friends and hang out. The show talent was excellent and I look forward to next year. There, that is my (non) opinion so I don't upset anyone again. See ya.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Thanks for checking out the page, MB, I also enjoyed Jason Bishops card routine and would imagine that's what turned the judges votes to him. I also really liked the (for lack of a better name) TV trick he did, very well timed.
JasonB
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of JasonB
Thanks for all of the nice comments about me being talented and mentioning what you enjoyed. Cgiking, the illusion is called the Plasma Illusion, so you were very close to the right name. That was my very first Abbott's and having grownup reading about Lance, Hobson and Blackstone it was defiantly an honor to perform there. I certainly wasn't expecting an award but it was very appreciated. I felt that the crowd really enjoyed quite a number of the effects I presented and that was great. Of course, I was excited to see Hobson, both he and Alan Shaxon were great and there were some other really talented acts, Arthur Trace etc. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see all of the acts. Again, thanks for the positive feedback.

Best wishes for success in all you do,

Jason Bishop
Mark Holstein
View Profile
New user
Houston, Texas
54 Posts

Profile of Mark Holstein
What most of you did not see was Jason's complete professionalism backstage. He and Kim know exactly what they are doing. It was one of the smoothest and most well organized load in/set ups I've seen. Clearly, they work a lot. (Though I'm still amazed that tiny Kim can handle those HUGE cases). They are very nice people who work hard, solicit advice, care about what they are doing and are driven to succeed. Kudos on your award! We look forward to hearing about your continued success.
JasonB
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of JasonB
Mark thanks so much for your kind words and for all of your help with the show. I'm not sure if people know how much you're doing back there. You really help to keep the show moving smoothly. Thanks for the Kudos and I hope to maintain a friendship that started at Abbotts. Anyone that enjoyed Abbott's should thank Mark for all of his selfless hard work.
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
603 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
I agree with Jason... Mark and the rest of the tech crew did an awesome job

many thanks to all...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Abbotts 70th Magic Get Together (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL